Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Did a 914 Ordered with Fuchs include a Fuchs spare?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Originality and History
ChrisG914
Does anyone know the answer? If you purchased your 914 with optional Fuchs wheels did you get a Fuchs spare or a standard steel spare?
Thanks - Chris
mepstein
Story is they came as a set of 5 but many dealers took the spare to put on other cars.
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(mepstein @ Nov 23 2013, 02:25 PM) *

Story is they came as a set of 5 but many dealers took the spare to put on other cars.

They came with a set of five. Yes, the dealers sometimes swiped the spares in fours to make an "optional" item. I had this very thing happen to me in August '72. My AG car was delivered with 4.5 steel wheels instead of 5.5's. Noticed it a day or 2 after taking delivery & went back to the dealer to get it right (P/A dealers were scum back then). They told me that they had no 5.5 steelies on the lot but would substitute four of the new 2.0 Fuchs wheels for $300. One can easily guess how they came up with "spare" Fuchs alloys.

I passed because I couldn't afford another 300 bucks (remember, my 1.7 totaled at 4295 with AG and my annual salary was just over 10K). The salesman told me that was the best he could do.

During that period there was a distributor for Porsche/Audi in Columbus (I think) called MIDVO. I called them and told them of my problem. Guess it worked, because I received a call from the P/A dealer I bought the car from stating they had the proper wheels, would swap them for the 4.5's, and give me a Bursch exhaust system. Did so.
I was fine with the new wheels and tires, but the Bursch quickly destroyed my snowplow rear valance, by vibrating it into metal fatigue. Took nearly 15 years to find a restored replacement.

Boy, the early days of 914 ownership.
Mark Henry
In my travels I've bought 2 parts cars with fuchs on it and both had a 5th one as a spare.
Those 2 spares are now on my bug as they were in real nice shape.
ConeDodger
Mine was originally sold to the previous owner at Sierra Porsche Audi in Riverside. It was an Appearance Group car so it should have come with 5 Fuchs. It came with 4 Western wheels listed as a dealer installed option. Harvey Weidman was the parts manager back then. He says they collected lots of them and sold them later. Just increasing dealer margin I guess...
mrgreenjeans
Chris 914

Yes they came with a set of 5 Fuchs, I remember seeing them in the front trunks of both the 914/6's and the 914/4's that were either 2.0 litres or with the appearance group.

I obtained a set of 4 which were virtually new old stock about 20 years ago, from a gentleman who had bought his car new and ONLY got the four on the ground with his car when delivered. He had upgraded ? to another set of aftermarket wheels when he had become frustrated in finding a replacement for the spare, and sold off his set to me.
Believe it or not, after about a year searching for the fifth wheel to match in both date coding and appearance, I found one on eBay. NOS with an NOS Michelin tire with a matching date code to correct month of manufacture.

Thus ending my search as now I have the 5 Fuchs, with matching date code wheels and one Michelin blackwall tire as it came from Porsche, the day the car was made in August of 1973.

Many of the dealers at that time , WERE as Pat said, somewhat a little short in the ethics department. Nothing has really changed much today, they just don't use something quite as apparent as a missing wheel. They do it with hidden leases, hidden words, deceptive paper shuffling.
So, don't worry Mr. Dealer, you who is less than stellar in merit. WE don't forget ....... unsure.gif
Bleyseng
My 1976 914 2.0L when I got it was really pretty stock still and had its 5 4 bolt Fuchs. Sold them after 5 years when I switched to 5 bolt Fuchs.
smveril
QUOTE(Bleyseng @ May 24 2014, 06:53 AM) *

My 1976 914 2.0L when I got it was really pretty stock still and had its 5 4 bolt Fuchs. Sold them after 5 years when I switched to 5 bolt Fuchs.

I am the second owner of my 73 2.0. It has 5 Fuchs.
914time
Yes, my 73 2.0L with Appearance Group has 5 - 4 bolt Fuchs on it.
914Next
QUOTE(914time @ Aug 12 2014, 08:41 AM) *

Yes, my 73 2.0L with Appearance Group has 5 - 4 bolt Fuchs on it.

My '73 2.0 had original owner for 41 years....just sold July of this year. All original and has five fuchs and original spare tire.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.