Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Hydraulic cam position
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Tom
Does anyone know if there is a distributer rotor position that all valves would be in the closed position? I let my car sit inside all year long and try to start it weekly for 10-15 min to get it warmed up. As long as I do this, the hydraulic lifters stay pumped up pretty good. If it sits for over two weeks, they ( one or two) clatter for some time before pumping up. My theory is that if one of the valves is in the open position, IE; the cam is putting pressure on the bottom of the lifter and the valve spring is pushing back on the top, then that one is more likely to leak down quicker.
Thanks in advance,
Tom
Mike Bellis
I don't believe there is any position where all 8 valves will be closed. Unless you have a flat cam... biggrin.gif
Cap'n Krusty
Agreed. Not possible in a 4 stroke engine. If one is closed, its opposite is open. In a T4 engine, there are always 2 valves open and 2 fully closed, with 4 closed to one degree or another. The distributor rotor has nothing to do with it, other than being an indicator of crankshaft/camshaft position.

The Cap'n
Tom
Mike,
If my cam was flat, I wouldn't be worrying about clattering valves. dry.gif

Cap'n Krusty,
It seems I did not explain myself well enough. The rotor in my thread is to be used as a visual indication of where the camshaft angle is presently at with relation to the rotor position.
And, I think both exhaust or intake valves on cylinders that share the same cam lobe can be closed at the same time. Actually on any cylinder, as all that is necessary is for the lobe to be pointing vertical up or down. Then neither lifter will be in compression. I also think there is a position of the cam angle that will allow most if not all valves to be only partially open, versus fully open, which I believe would help to keep the hydraulic lifters from leaking down so far that it takes several minutes to pump back up. If that position is possible, then noting the rotor position would give one a visual reference to use to set the cam angle if the car is to be stored for a longer period.
If anyone has any experience in this, your thoughts are appreciated. I will take some extra time this spring when it warms up and when doing the valve adjustment, I will take some notes on where, if there is one, there might be a cam angle/rotor position that would help this condition and I will report back.
Tom
Mike Bellis
If all valves are partially open, then ALL of your hydraulic lifters will bleed down due to spring pressure.

There is no cam position that will take the spring pressure off of the lifter.

You could buy a pressurized Accusump and use it to help your bleed down but the oil pressure by itself is not enough to push the valve spring up.

I think you are chasing a ghost. It is normal for lifters to bleed down after sitting for some time. It is also normal to hear the chatter until they pump back up.

Switch to a solid tappet cam and all your problems go away... Except valve adjustment... smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.