Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Introduction
914World.com > The 914 Forums > The Paddock
Seabird
Afternoon everyone!

Yesterday I purchased my first 914/4! Just got back this afternoon for the long tow home. I pulled a regular Peter Egan; driving 8 hours across at least one time zone to drag a forgotten toy out from someone else's over crowed garage!

Here she is:
IPB Image

One of the PO's started a race car transformation on her a number of years back, had one outing on the track, and then it went into storage. A lot of the race items are out of certification which is fine as I am not going racing soon. The motor has had some work done to it (PO claimed 130 at the wheels) and she has been lightened quite a bit (again PO claimed 1735#s).

The PO claimed it to be an LE. Apparently they are fairly rare. Shame that it was hacked up to make into a race car.

The chassis is straight and solid. Some minor surface rust in the wheel wells. The battery hole is rock solid. And there is a real nice roll cage welded in.

The brakes and suspension have had some major work too! 911 brakes and koni adjust able shocks front and rear.

There are a couple of items that are a little annoying... The biggest one is the front trunk has a gaping hole in the center. My brother said thats where the factory a/c would have been installed confused24.gif I will need to find someone parting out a car and fill this. Also someone bugger up the carb linkage. 1/2" balled end on the hex rod is bent something nasty. Will need to find one of those.

I bought her with the intent of using her for DE and maybe eventually going vintage racing. I have been using a big block e30, 3.5L m30, for DE with NASA but I wanted to get into something a little older and lighter; I think I succeeded! biggrin.gif

First thing I did when I got it home was to drain the fuel and add fresh gas and a new fuel filter. With fresh gas in the system I was able to get her cranked up and running. On a high idle she will stay running but when off the throttle she conchs out. I order a set of carb rebuild kits. I am sure 5 years of sitting in a garage did in the accelerator pumps and floats and jets and...well then need to get rebuild.
914itis
welcome.png
Randal

And welcome to The Paddock as well.

Nothing like the handling of a 4. biggrin.gif
Jetsetsurfshop
Hey Seabird,
I've been doing DE with NASA for about two years. Most track time at Sebring. Maybe we know each other. Here's my car.
Seabird
Shane,

I can't recall seeing a 914 in the HPDE sessions this year. I did two of the three Sebring events too. I usually pit with the Spec e30s by 17; its a little out of the way. I'll be sure to find you next time though!

Have you found you need to run an oil cooler for track work at Sebring?

Jetsetsurfshop
QUOTE(Seabird @ Nov 23 2013, 05:58 PM) *

Shane,

I can't recall seeing a 914 in the HPDE sessions this year. I did two of the three Sebring events too. I usually pit with the Spec e30s by 17; its a little out of the way. I'll be sure to find you next time though!

Have you found you need to run an oil cooler for track work at Sebring?

I'm installing an external oil cooler now. I was running blind before. No oil temp,oil pressure, or A/F Gauge. Live and learn.
I think you said 130hp at the tires? I would consider an external oil cooler. BAT out of Tampa has some great stuff. I'm mounting it under the truck with a put thru fan. I also made a small shroud to force air thru it.
There's tons of oil cooler chatter in here with a bunch of great ideas. Someone else will post up a link I bet.
When do you think you'll be track ready?
Shane

Seabird
QUOTE(Jetsetsurfshop @ Nov 23 2013, 07:10 PM) *

I'm installing an external oil cooler now. I was running blind before. No oil temp,oil pressure, or A/F Gauge. Live and learn.
I think you said 130hp at the tires? I would consider an external oil cooler. BAT out of Tampa has some great stuff. I'm mounting it under the truck with a put thru fan. I also made a small shroud to force air thru it.
There's tons of oil cooler chatter in here with a bunch of great ideas. Someone else will post up a link I bet.
When do you think you'll be track ready?
Shane

Yeah I have been reading up on the coolers. I will probably do an under rear trunk as well. There is a kit called Derale that I might try just to keep cost down.

A/F gauge is a must for tuning the webers. Big oil pressure light on dash. I want to get some kind of silencer for the exhaust, its just open right now. Need to do brake fluid and pads...tires.... mount a different seat to give me a little more head room. I don't know how anyone over 5'11'' can fit legally; I am borderline.

There is a bunch of little things. The car has not been run in 5 years.

I would like to be ready for the first event of the new year but until I get some of the basics like running its hard to estimate.

Ill check out BAT, thanks!

Miguel
nolift914
welcome.png and the Paddock
ConeDodger
If it is indeed an LE, Jeff Bowlsby will want to add the VIN to the LE registry. You should also add it to the owners VIN#... biggrin.gif
Seabird
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Nov 25 2013, 09:24 PM) *

If it is indeed an LE, Jeff Bowlsby will want to add the VIN to the LE registry. You should also add it to the owners VIN#... biggrin.gif

The PO did not provide a COA. I am going to wait on getting one, need to spend the moneys on getting it track ready. When I do get a COA confirming that it is an LE I will submit it to the registry.

Some times when I look at it I think it is a real LE and sometimes I look at it and think no its been made to look like an LE. The bottom valance is certianly not an original LE valance as it has a raw backside (the factory one would have been smooth on all sides according to Bowlsby's site). It does have on of the lower valance brackets though.

confused24.gif I dont know if it is or not. Doesn't really matter. So much of the original equipment is missing that it would cost more to return it to stock form that it is worth on the market.

I am going to enjoy it for what it is today.

Miguel
Randal
About that oil cooler. When I bought my car the PO in Carson City, Nev. had installed an oil cooler, with a 600cfm fan underneath the engine cover. Like one unit.

It actually worked good and I ran that configuration at Button Willow when it was HOT. Never had high oil temperatures, but the heat coming into the compartment wilted everything. So changed the configuration a bit (see the link) and had it suck the air out of the engine compartment and it worked good. The revised configuration had 1600cfm fan.

Sold it to Dan Thompson who then installed it in his front trunk exiting downward. There are pictures here somewhere...

More here: http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...ic=8146&hl=
Randal
QUOTE(Randal @ Nov 26 2013, 08:05 AM) *

About that oil cooler. When I bought my car the PO in Carson City, Nev. had installed an oil cooler, with a big fan underneath the engine cover. Like one unit.

It actually worked good and I ran that configuration at Button Willow when it was HOT. Never had high oil temperatures.

Sold it to Dan Thompson who then installed it in his front trunk exiting downward. There are pictures here somewhere...

The magic of search.. http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...p;hl=oil+cooler

Forgot how nice that unit was.

We build a flat plate that the cooler was attached to, then mounted the fan on a round aluminum piece that acted like a shroud.

I kind of like where Dan put it, but it also worked great mounted under the engine cover, with the shroud configuration and bigger fan.

ConeDodger
QUOTE(Seabird @ Nov 26 2013, 02:57 AM) *

QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Nov 25 2013, 09:24 PM) *

The PO did not provide a COA. I am going to wait on getting one, need to spend the moneys on getting it track ready. When I do get a COA confirming that it is an LE I will submit it to the registry.

Some times when I look at it I think it is a real LE and sometimes I look at it and think no its been made to look like an LE. The bottom valance is certianly not an original LE valance as it has a raw backside (the factory one would have been smooth on all sides according to Bowlsby's site). It does have on of the lower valance brackets though.

confused24.gif I dont know if it is or not. Doesn't really matter. So much of the original equipment is missing that it would cost more to return it to stock form that it is worth on the market.

I am going to enjoy it for what it is today.

Miguel

Miguel,
Jeff won't need a COA to tell. If its within a range of VIN numbers and has certain paint codes and other elements, it's likely an LE...
Seabird
QUOTE(Randal @ Nov 26 2013, 08:11 AM) *

The magic of search.. http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...p;hl=oil+cooler

Forgot how nice that unit was.

We build a flat plate that the cooler was attached to, then mounted the fan on a round aluminum piece that acted like a shroud.

I kind of like where Dan put it, but it also worked great mounted under the engine cover, with the shroud configuration and bigger fan.

Thanks for the ideas Randal!

I am leaning towards a rear mounted solution to keep the front free for a fuel cell when the time comes. As a six is not on the horizon I probably will not have the need to disturb the front of the car with an oil cooler.

I have a couple of oil cooler questions though, whats the deal with the stock one? Does this just get abandoned when a remote is added? If so should it be removed?

And lastly, is there a reason folks aren't make use of the heater ducts to pipe fresh air from the front to the rear? Seems like half the work is already done! Pull the air from right in front of the windshield where the pressure increases and push it back to either side of the engine right onto the heads! Use a little cowling like this and you'll get a ton of air.
Jeep accessories

Just some thoughts

Miguel
Seabird
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Nov 26 2013, 09:23 AM) *

Miguel,
Jeff won't need a COA to tell. If its within a range of VIN numbers and has certain paint codes and other elements, it's likely an LE...

I'll reach out to him. I do know the vin number is within the range for an LE.

Miguel
budk
QUOTE(Seabird @ Nov 26 2013, 03:03 PM) *

QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Nov 26 2013, 09:23 AM) *

Miguel,

I'll reach out to him. I do know the vin number is within the range for an LE.

Miguel

What is the VIN ? Color of headlight motors? Lots of clues to look for.
Jetsetsurfshop
And lastly, is there a reason folks aren't make use of the heater ducts to pipe fresh air from the front to the rear? Seems like half the work is already done! Pull the air from right in front of the windshield where the pressure increases and push it back to either side of the engine right onto the heads! Use a little cowling like this and you'll get a ton of air.
Jeep accessories

Just some thoughts

Miguel

I've always thought this was a good idea. What are you planing to do with the "fresh air"?
What about NACA ducts on the hood?
brant
naca ducts on the hood wouldn't be legal in my vintage club...
carr914
Seabird, you will need a Cooler for Sebring. BAT is in Sarasota.

Are you here in Florida? West Coast?

welcome.png
bulitt
If you decide not to go with a front cooler this should close the AC hole in the trunk floor-

Restoration Design
Seabird
Brant is right no NACA ducts or really any cuts into sheet metal for SVRA. That's why I was thinking of the existing vent. Even without the scoop that is a high pressure point so it will flow air. The Fresh air would be used for oil cooler in rear or just cool air for the cylinder heads. This though starts a conversation about down force and how it changes the cars aerodynamics.

Carr, I am out of Hollywood, east coast south. I will be adding a cooler as part of my build prep. Looking at a rear mounted one at the moment. Probably one of those Derale kits to keep cost down.

Bulitt, yep RD is on my radar. working a deal for some steel doors and hoods for when I go SVRA legit. That fellow has front trunk that is complete I just need to cut it out. Assuming there is no rust and the price is right I'll go that route. But if its within 100$ I just assume get it from RD.

I love the community here! Great input and participation! Plus there seems to be a nice Florida contingent.

Regards,

Miguel
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.