Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Throttle positioning sensor
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
partwerks
Just to confirm what I have been told. To replace the TPS on the 2004 Subaru WRX, I just need to take the 2 screws out, and put the new one in, and end of story?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Throttle-Posit...1ec&vxp=mtr
brant
I don't know on the subaru... someone will reply

but on other cars, replacing the TPS also involves adjusting it accurately with an OHM meter
AE354803
You need to adjust it to read proper voltage for a given position.

I know on my 00 outback 2.5L n/a the factory service manual states to set it to 0.45 - 0.55 volts when throttle is fully closed (for Manual or auto trans).

Probably the same for yours
edwin
That one will be simple. Bolt holes aren't slotted so it can only go in one spot
Bulldog9
Not sure of this particualr model, but my wife drives an 05 3.0R and the sensor was plug & play.

Disconnect battery, remove, replace, all was well. Used Subaru part, not advance auto.
partwerks
It does not have slotted holes.

The problem/bug that keeps lurking around it seems, is with the low idle.

My mechanic had me put on a new IACV, and that didn't change anything, then he put some gizmo to check the air fuel ratio, and was lean, and so put on a new 02 sensor, and fixed that problem, and he told me to adjust the idle set screw in is all to bring it up, and so I don't know if I did the wrong thing, but sometimes when shifting into 2nd, and let out the clutch it would sort of want to buck, and so I got the bringt idea to replace the TPS, since it was relatively cheap, and/or maybe that is the problem, after I put the new one in??

He also sprayed carb cleaner around to see if there were any vacum leaks, and couldn't find any.

I don't know if it matters, but I did not disconnect the battery, just took the screws out, and installed it.

Didn't seem to do anything for the low idle, and now if you really stick your foot into it, it is as though you were turning off the key, but if you back off a bit, it will run normal, or don't crowd it, and so I don't know if I gained anything or not, but thought about putting the old sensor back in??

Is there a way to check to see if the old sensor is working with an ohm meter? If so, I could have my electrician check it out.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.