Scotty's visualation

Click to view attachment

Actual color

Click to view attachment

What I think I want

Click to view attachment

Actual color

Click to view attachment

I really like Scott's version, and Marathon Metallic blue is the cars original color. However, I really love the factory GT color of Lilac as it is rare, you almost never see one that color and I think it will look awesome with the polished wheels and Italian lenses. For a different look, I can change to a black top and black center Fuchs and it will be like a totally different car.

What say the teener addicts of 914World??
confused24.gif confused24.gif confused24.gif confused24.gif confused24.gif confused24.gif
Woody
Didn't he just paint that car not too long ago? The grey is awesome though.
hot_shoe914
QUOTE(Woody @ Nov 24 2013, 04:33 PM) *

No, this will be the first one he has painted for me.
scotty b
QUOTE(Woody @ Nov 24 2013, 02:33 PM) *

It was pink the first time around. Don loved it, but got tired of being referred to as a bear confused24.gif
hot_shoe914
Come on people, vote and tell me why you choose what you do. poke.gif
carr914
Purple is for Barney & Vikings Fans, not Cars
Rand
Oof. That purple one might require a certain mustache or some parachute pants. barf.gif The last photo doesn't look as bad, but the one you labeled "what I think I want" is especially disturbing with that caption.
hot_shoe914
QUOTE(carr914 @ Nov 24 2013, 07:14 PM) *

Purple is for Barney & Vikings Fans, not Cars

Purple may not be for "Carrs" but Porsche sure thought it was good enough for one of their GT cars. slap.gif
914four
I struggled with the marathon blue originality dilemma but changed because the new marathon blues I tried did not seem to match the original color that I was trying to match in the front trunk. The new colors appeared to be more silver and did not have that blue metallic color that I remembered from the 70's or that was left unaffected by the sun in my front trunk.
rick 918-S
I have only seen lilac once. Rare and striking color. Don't listen to the testosterone supplement crowd. It will be an outrageous looking color.
914four
One more note, you can see the marathon blue metallic on my car in the Porsche stripe. It looks a little bluer next to the Alaska blue metallic.
914-300Hemi
I am partial to the marathon blue.
gothspeed
I see two options and four pictures unsure.gif ......... which pic goes to each choice on the poll?

BTW color names don't work very well with me, I am semi color blind (are the last two really purple?) ....... so tell me for example; pic 1 goes with poll option 1 etc ...

also FWIW .... I like pics 1 and 4 ...... smile.gif
scotty b
given the quality level of the body work, I would strongly suggest beige bedliner...........flat beige mellow.gif
hot_shoe914
QUOTE(gothspeed @ Nov 24 2013, 08:57 PM) *

I see two options and four pictures unsure.gif ......... which pic goes to each choice on the poll?

BTW color names don't work very well with me, I am semi color blind ....... so tell me for example; pic 1 goes with poll option 1 etc ...

Pics 2 and 4 are actual colors. Pic 1 was done by Scotty on the visualizer. Pic 3 is a photoshop job.
gothspeed
QUOTE(hot_shoe914 @ Nov 24 2013, 07:24 PM) *

QUOTE(gothspeed @ Nov 24 2013, 08:57 PM) *

BTW color names don't work very well with me, I am semi color blind ....... so tell me for example; pic 1 goes with poll option 1 etc ...

Pics 2 and 4 are actual colors. Pic 1 was done by Scotty on the visualizer. Pic 3 is a photoshop job.

I would lean towards OEM .......... but the others look good too! ........ idea.gif
JRust
I went with it's original color of Marathon. Having said that if you like the Lilac better. Go with that man piratenanner.gif . Having your teener stand out amongst others is pretty cool too. That Lilac will really pop aktion035.gif
hot_shoe914
I have nothing against the marathon blue. The one and only teener I have had painted and could have had painted any color I want, I chose Marathon metallic blue. But I would really like something others don't have. I want the lilac, I just have to convince myself to spend the extra maney, and that is hard to do when I am in the middle of buying a mini farm, and will need to buy lots of things to get it up and running the way I want it.

headbang.gif headbang.gif headbang.gif headbang.gif headbang.gif headbang.gif
rnellums
I vote silver poke.gif ... but seriously, Lilac would be cool.
rick 918-S
Don't worry shoe. If you don't choose the Lilac I will have one that color some day. poke.gif In a parking lot full of 914's you will be one of a couple Marathon Blue cars. In a parking lot full of 914's you would have the only lilac car.

When I had my shop I experimented with a BMW 2002 I had once. I custom matched the color of a 1957 Fender Stratocaster. We called the color Bavarian Mint. It was outrageous with a vengeance. As I drove down the street people would stop walking to look at the car. Some would smile, others had the jaw drop experience. I was asked "why that color" I would answer "like it or not you can't help but look" "try not to"

70's cars are all about the colors.

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

This photo is exactly what I'm talking about.

Click to view attachment
hot_shoe914
Yes, Betsy was one of those 5 blue cars, however, in this picture she was the ONLY blue car. I still want the Lilac color though. aktion035.gif

Click to view attachment
lonewolfe
Personally, I think that Lilac color is badass! You could name your car "Purple Haze"!
'73-914kid
I went through a similar conundrum when I was having my car painted...I was largely undecided up until about a day before they sprayed color.. (I'm slightly indecisive)

I like the lilac, its unique enough to standout I would say.

Slate grey is pretty unique in 914s. I've seen a gt replica done up in slate grey and it looked super sweet.

What else.. black and silver are all pretty typical... White is a tad boring.. lots of signal orange flared car..

Wasn't there a light silver/ green metallic color? That might be classy enough to look cool. Edit, found it..ice green metallic.

The only other colors I really considered spraying my car when it was getting painted were slate grey and burgundy red.. I'm really happy with the unique blue, ans have had huge amounts of compliments on the color. I like the blues, but I wanted something other then marathon, alaska, or Adriatic blue..
bigkensteele
Is this a car that you want to keep forever? If so, paint it lilac and love it! It is your car to do with what you please.

If you think you might sell it five years from now, I would go with blue. Lilac might be cool to a few folks and have some historical significance, but you have to understand that most males do not want a purple car.

Either way you go, I think that you will be happy if Scotty is doing the work.
lonewolfe
QUOTE('73-914kid @ Nov 24 2013, 09:46 PM) *

I went through a similar conundrum when I was having my car painted...I was largely undecided up until about a day before they sprayed color.. (I'm slightly indecisive)

I like the lilac, its unique enough to standout I would say.

Slate grey is pretty unique in 914s. I've seen a gt replica done up in slate grey and it looked super sweet.

What else.. black and silver are all pretty typical... White is a tad boring.. lots of signal orange flared car..

Wasn't there a light silver/ green metallic color? That might be classy enough to look cool. Edit, found it..ice green metallic.

The only other colors I really considered spraying my car when it was getting painted were slate grey and burgundy red.. I'm really happy with the unique blue, ans have had huge amounts of compliments on the color. I like the blues, but I wanted something other then marathon, alaska, or Adriatic blue..

So, which blue did you go with?
Gustl
I like the marathon metallic
but I'd prefere this look, (better with standard painted Fuchs - alloy/black center)
914dave
Shoe
Here's a pic of a flared Marathon blue car. The color is great on a flared car.
Click to view attachment
It's usually the only one in the crowd. ( Dion goes to Hershey every year so there would be two of ya hehe ) I like the lilac too. But decided on Tangerine instead because it would be harder to move a Lilac car if you had to sell. Good luck with the decision. I wrestled with it for 2 years before I decided.
Dave
KELTY360
Marathon Blue is beautiful and a safe choice. I'm sure you'd be happy with it. 914s are notorious for the great palette of available colors. It's one of the reasons a gathering of 914s is so visually 'energetic'. The Lilac is right in keeping with that colorful legacy and every time you look at it you'll be silently patting yourself on the back for making a bold color statement.
EdwardBlume
My wife says that the blue is too girly. cheer.gif cheer.gif cheer.gif

Go with the Lilac! driving.gif
Johny Blackstain
I'd go for an LE looking paint job w/ lilac being the base & viper green being the highlight colors beer.gif
boxsterfan
Paint it any color you want. Personally, I would go with Gemini Blue Metallic or Aubergine!!
sean_v8_914
blue is common conservative fair for those who worry about what others think
lilac is bold , different and requires confidence to strut it
JmuRiz
I like the Marathon Blue, but if you want Lilac, go for it!!!

Another '70's color car would be great...might be almost as loud as my Ravenna Green
rick 918-S
QUOTE(sean_v8_914 @ Nov 25 2013, 12:07 PM) *

blue is common conservative fair for those who worry about what others think
lilac is bold , different and requires confidence to strut it

Well said my friend, well said..... happy11.gif
2mAn
how do I get my hands on that visualizer! I want to play
Kirmizi
Fuch it Shoe, just paint it purple and call it good. thumb3d.gif
bulitt
If you threw some pearl in that lilac it would look like a dune buggy out of the 60's.
balljoint
Choose Lilac. thumb3d.gif
hot_shoe914
QUOTE(balljoint @ Nov 25 2013, 07:26 PM) *

aktion035.gif shades.gif aktion035.gif shades.gif aktion035.gif
gothspeed
QUOTE(hot_shoe914 @ Nov 25 2013, 07:45 PM) *

QUOTE(balljoint @ Nov 25 2013, 07:26 PM) *

aktion035.gif shades.gif aktion035.gif shades.gif aktion035.gif

I will have to agree, my gt replica will be getting painted soon and i have been struggling with the color. My choice for the past year has been silver, but after all the effort and time spent on the car so far, i am realizing that i will probably never do this again. This has been and still is a very big project, so i have decided to paint it a color that is not the 'safe' silver I had in mind for so long. smile.gif
So again i agree, go bold!! Life is too short to not do so! beerchug.gif

http://www.p914.com/p914-6gt_paint_341_70.htm
EdwardBlume
There are certain colors that when mixed with black and chrome really stand out on a 914. Lilac does it for me. There is one other color, but I won't say anything.... idea.gif
Dr Evil
Primer ph34r.gif
Chris H.
As awesome as Marathon Blue is as a color...had to vote Lilac. GO BOLD MAN! Great color, great car.
worn
QUOTE(hot_shoe914 @ Nov 24 2013, 02:25 PM) *

I really like Scott's version, and Marathon Metallic blue is the cars original color. However, I really love the factory GT color of Lilac as it is rare, you almost never see one that color and I think it will look awesome with the polished wheels and Italian lenses. For a different look, I can change to a black top and black center Fuchs and it will be like a totally different car.

What say the teener addicts of 914World??
confused24.gif confused24.gif confused24.gif confused24.gif confused24.gif confused24.gif

I am having trouble deciding on my color too. I have had the paint store mix half pints. Ravenna Green - no, not for the long term. Now I am playing with Alaska Blue, but it looks too much like a regular car. The violet sets you up man.
naro914
Dude, seriously? Why are you asking? You decided what color you wanted long before you posted this. DO WHAT YOU WANT, the hell what other people think...

Just get Lilac and be done with it...

Isn't that what color Rusty's car is/was?

(BTW, I voted for Yellow)
smile.gif
scotty b
QUOTE(naro914 @ Nov 26 2013, 09:40 AM) *

Dude, seriously? Why are you asking? You decided what color you wanted long before you posted this. DO WHAT YOU WANT, the hell what other people think...

smile.gif

agree.gif You've wanted purple from the start. I've heard enough about it. rolleyes.gif Send me check, I paint purple, you come get
hot_shoe914
QUOTE(scotty b @ Nov 26 2013, 12:45 PM) *

QUOTE(naro914 @ Nov 26 2013, 09:40 AM) *

smile.gif

agree.gif You've wanted purple from the start. I've heard enough about it. rolleyes.gif Send me check, I paint purple, you come get

I wish it were that easy. With me buying a new place, it is eating up most of my money and with two mortgages to pay until one sells, I can't really afford the extra for the Lilac unless I get some more stuff sold. I may just have to stick with the marathon blue due to funds availability. sad.gif

The $1500.00 I just had to shell out to get the transmission rebuilt in my truck didn't help either. Just might have to go with Mike's suggestion and leave it primer until I get some more cash together.
euro911
QUOTE(2mAn @ Nov 25 2013, 04:15 PM) *
how do I get my hands on that visualizer! I want to play
how do I get my hands on your avatar! I want to play too laugh.gif

Click to view attachment

If you ever forget which post the link was in, you can always Google '914 Visualizer'

... but here's the link for now Click here
naro914
QUOTE(hot_shoe914 @ Nov 27 2013, 01:09 AM) *

Just might have to go with Mike's suggestion and leave it primer until I get some more cash together.

I would recommend that then. If you want Lilac, get Lilac, don't 'settle' for what you really don't want at this point, you'll regret it down the road and changing it will be MUCH more expensive.
Just leave it prepped for paint...you can live without driving it for a little bit.

remember the sayings...'good things come to those who wait' and 'patience is a virtue'?? yeah....me neither... smile.gif
Bills914-4
I voted Lilac smile.gif , I drove my car years black primer before I had the funds to paint it, Bill D.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.