Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: I'm no Transmission guru.
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Trekkor
My trans performs very well, but leaks. IPB Image

Whats involved in breaking it down and replacing gaskets and seals? Cost of parts and new fluid?

How much does it cost to have a shop do it?

How hard is it to do yourself? Should I try?

KT
Joe Bob
Have Red Beard do it....he just did mine.....
plas76targa
My leaks too. I've cleaned it enough to see the leak is from the speedometer drive cable and somewhere near the top of the rear gasket or possibly the intermediate gasket. There's a thread somewhere on how to help seal that one. I chatted once with Andy about too.

Have you read the tech article on the bird board? as well as Red-beards (?) article on tranny repair. Looks easy enough. who's tried it?

Can't offer any more than that - I'm no guru either. But I'll offer my help when you try the repairs.
JB 914
you can get the gasket set from Pelican. i replaced that speedo gasket on mine....of course the shifter one started to leak soon after IPB Image

if that's the only leak it is an easy fix.
Carrera916
KT

it isnt really that hard if you're careful and pay attention to details.

You could pull the gearbox out, lay it on the bench, start work on the input shaft seal, then remove the axle flanges, replace the seals there, the differential cover rarely leaks but if you're there, then pull the cover out to change the big thin o-ring, measure the thickness of the paper gasket on differential cover and between the intermeidate plate which is very important and get a replacement with correct thickness.

And then change the gasket on whatyourmomcallit thing that holds the shifter fork assembly in one place. Take the speedo drive out and rebuild it with new o-ring and felt gasket. Make sure you put it all back together correctly and tight.....yes, tight, other wise your "golf" shoes gonna be pissed on when you get to the trunk to fetch your club.....

When you put the whole thing together, be sure it's torqued right other wise the covers will be "warped" and you'll still have the damn leaks.

oh, if you're using synthetic gear oil right now, yes, it will piss right out of the gearbox faster if it has an old leak issue in first place.

you said the gearbox works well, i would leave it alone and just replace the gaskets/seals then pour good quailty synthenic gear oil.

Sometimes it's good to have someone work with you to actually inspect the bearings, synchros etc before you put it back together...

hope this helps.....PM if you need more help...

j
Trekkor
I'm on it!

While you guys were crying* about the weather IPB Image

I just spent about an hour completely cleaning my trans.

I bet I removed five pounds of crud off it. IPB Image

Used Gunk, solvent brush, a putty knife and latex gloves.
I have a pressure washer, but I opted to just use the hose on it instead. I stayed dry and kept the crud off everything else. IPB Image

Late tonight you might find me replacing the input shaft, drive flange, speedo drive and shifter seals.

I like taking time off work...

KT

* like me earlier in the week IPB Image
Trekkor
pretty clean IPB Image

KT
Mueller
pretty clean

clean = yes (good job, they can be a PITA to clean)

pretty = no IPB Image

it's too bad the transmissions normally look so beat up....I'd like to powder coat one...sure would make cleaning it a lot easier
Trekkor
This is becoming one cool day IPB Image

Just a couple of minutes ago...Lo and Behold!

Parts are here in less than 24 hours again from HPH. IPB Image

How does Rich do it?

For under $43 including shipping. IPB Image

I'll be in the shed tonight if you need me...

KT
Red-Beard
The entire kit is usually $50 for all seals and gaskets, but sometimes you can find them on E-bay for $29-30.

Most of the seals are relatively easy to get out. The one that is a PIA is the seal on the shift console (The shift mechanism on the side of the tranny). 1st, remove it from the tranny. Then have to pop one of the roll pins out and remove the shaft. Then, holding the console in a vice (Don't clamp on the shaft area, clamp on the outer sides), pry the seal out with a claw. If it does not easily pop out, it is the original metal seal. You have to drive a screwdriver sideways into it to get enough grip to pop it out. Install is easy.

If your set comes with a paper gasket for the side cover, toss it. It uses an o-ring.

To me, if you're gonna do all of the seals, you have the tranny out of the car, going to the next step of removing the rear cover and pulling the gear stack, at least to inspect the bearings, Synchros, sliders and dog teeth is very very easy.

James
Randal
but sometimes you can find them on E-bay for $29-30

Great Information.

What is the name of the kit?
Red-Beard
Usually "Porsche 914 Transmission Gasket Set"

here is one for $42

Gasket set
Red-Beard
Here is a nice spray paint job....

914 tranny
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.