Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914 Dealership photo
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
JeffBowlsby
This is the only P-A dealership photo I have seen that has a 914 in it. If you have others, please post them here
Cap'n Krusty
My lift was 3 windows beyond the last shop door in the picture!

The Cap'n
euro911
Keen eye, Jeff

Which Rusnak location(s) did you work at, John?
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE(euro911 @ Nov 25 2013, 01:37 PM) *

Keen eye, Jeff

That one ................... Pasadena. Soon after I left, Mr. Rusnak bought Peter Satori's business and expanded his variety of offerings from Porsche, Audi, Chrysler/Plymouth, and Mazda into what it is today. We were told the 2 buildings were an aircraft plant at one time, but It appears not to be true.

The picture looks as if it were taken in 1974. I left there in April, I think. I became the 356/912/914 guy at Porschop in Marina Del Rey, about 3 blocks from Shelby's place. I also did lowering, custom installs and repairs like installing 5 speed trannies in 356s, welding front suspension pans in 911/912s, top end jobs on 4 cammers, and putting a 5 speed AND a 904 motor in a 356. I also helped to build a 2.2L 914 with Carrera solex carbs for a guy in Texas.

The Cap'n
nathansnathan
IPB Image
Ferg
on ebay now, 2 of my 911's were from here.

balljoint
There were some pics of the Yenko dealership around here somewhere.

It was in PA... biggrin.gif I guess it would have sold Audis as well.
rgalla9146
QUOTE(nathansnathan @ Nov 25 2013, 06:03 PM) *

IPB Image

Hey Cap'n
Man, you go waaaaaay back !
Here's a long shot.
My yellow '70 914 6 (2567) was sold new from Rusnak, Pasadena.
It was tracked in Cali and hooked a curb at Riverside with an instructor at the wheel, the owners girlfriend was the passenger...... off the road ever since. Don't know the owners name at that time but I bought the car from Rich Herzog ( a regular here, Artechnika ? )
Any of this ring a bell ?
Man, you saw and did a lot !
The next response is interesting too, Shulman Porsche Audi (pictured) turned into Hermann-Miller PA near me in Parsippany NJ. It became Paul Miller PA which was a well known racing dealership back then.
Rory Gallagher

Maltese Falcon
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Nov 25 2013, 02:39 PM) *

QUOTE(euro911 @ Nov 25 2013, 01:37 PM) *

Keen eye, Jeff

That one ................... Pasadena. Soon after I left, Mr. Rusnak bought Perter Satori's business and expanded his variety of offerings from Porsche, Audi, Chrysler/Plymouth, and Mazda into what it is today. We were told the 2 buildings were an aircraft plant at one time, but It appears not to be true.

The picture looks as if it were taken in 1974. I left there in April, I think. I became the 356/912/914 guy at Porschop in Marina Del Rey, about 3 blocks from Shelby's place. I also did lowering, custom installs and repairs like installing 5 speed trannies in 356s, welding front suspension pans in 911/912s, top end jobs on 4 cammers, and putting a 5 speed AND a 904 motor in a 356. I also helped to build a 2.2L 914 with Carrera solex carbs for a guy in Texas.

The Cap'n
I remember all those Porschop guys; Vern, Kurt, Bob, Jose (his girlfriend Lark), Bobbie and Jeff Erickson. I started up the street at The Factory with Marc +Tom, Jeff was there for a couple years , and the late John Williamson moonlighted there. Do you remember the drag racer Bill Bagshaw in the same Redwood ave. Ind. Park ? We were building his 440 A-body Dodge headers for him. Small World !
Marty
carr914
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Nov 25 2013, 04:21 PM) *

The Cap'n

Damn, you are Older than Dirt!
euro911
In my back yard: Vasek Pokak had several car dealerships in the South Bay beach cities - Audi, BMW, Saab, Subaru, VW and Volvo, in addition to Porsche.

He had a large storage facility for his personal race cars under the porsche dealership (below). They must have serviced a lot of 914s ... notice the oil stains? laugh.gif

Click to view attachment

One of my old watering holes (The Pitcher House) was right across the street, and another one (Hermosa Saloon) was just up the next block. Always walked s-l-o-w-l-y past the Porsche store on the way from one to the other beer3.gif

Click to view attachment
nathansnathan
QUOTE(Ferg @ Nov 25 2013, 03:21 PM) *

That's awesome smile.gif I was looking for Bob Hagestad specifically and somehow missed that! My 914 was from there, too, had the sticker on the back when I got it - wish I had a picture.
914_teener
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Nov 25 2013, 01:21 PM) *

The Cap'n

Hey Capn......That is my hometown......worked across the street ....Pasadena CA
Dave_Darling
QUOTE(rgalla9146 @ Nov 25 2013, 03:50 PM) *

It was tracked in Cali and hooked a curb at Riverside with an instructor at the wheel, the owners girlfriend was the passenger...... off the road ever since. Don't know the owners name at that time but I bought the car from Rich Herzog ( a regular here, Artechnika ? )

Rich was the owner at the time the car was rolled. His (now-ex) wife was driving, I believe. It seems like one of the aftermarket sway-bar drop-links failed to cause the roll-over. I was wondering just the other day what had happened to that car...

--DD
Gustl
QUOTE(Ferg @ Nov 26 2013, 12:21 AM) *

could you please get me the auction number or link?

thank you in advance beerchug.gif

dlkawashima
Posted on Flickr yesterday. One 914 at Don Burns Volkswagen and at least four at Don Burns Porsche Audi.
click this link for hi-res Don Burns Volkswagen and Don Burns Prestige Porsche Audi image

Click to view attachment
r_towle

The Cap'n

That is so cool!
stateofidleness
You guys have these in "printable" sizes? I've been chasing some decent wall art for a long time now and I love the "coloring" on these. Do you have high res versions?
cary
QUOTE(carr914 @ Nov 25 2013, 04:39 PM) *

The Cap'n

Damn, you are Older than Dirt!

Beat me to it ................ LOL
pete000
This is turning into a cool thread !

I worked at a Porsche Audi dealer in the early 80's called South Point Motorcars in Sarasota Florida when I was a kid as a lot boy... driving.gif
JeffBowlsby
QUOTE(stateofidleness @ Feb 23 2014, 07:30 PM) *

You guys have these in "printable" sizes? I've been chasing some decent wall art for a long time now and I love the "coloring" on these. Do you have high res versions?

Go to the Flikr link...Poster size is available.
Maltese Falcon
Jack McAfee Imports in Burbank, on Victory Bl.+ Chestnut St.
Became Victory Porsche+Audi, today just a used car lot.
The 914 was not created yet, but check out the price on the red Speedster !Click to view attachment
Chris H.
LOL! The hardtop next to is it $300 more unless I'm seeing that wrong...I'll take both for those prices BTW.
ConeDodger
I'd love to see a picture of Sierra Porsche-Audi in Riverside. Not sure if it exists now but that is the origin of my '75. Both Al and Harvey Weidman worked there at the time.
VegasRacer
modern day
Maltese Falcon
QUOTE(Maltese Falcon @ Feb 24 2014, 12:40 AM) *

Jack McAfee Imports in Burbank, on Victory Bl.+ Chestnut St.
Became Victory Porsche+Audi, today just a used car lot.
The 914 was not created yet, but check out the price on the red Speedster !Click to view attachment

Ad from the Van Nuys newspaper April 12,1963, McAfee Motors.
Just turned up in my backyard, it was fossillized in a chunk of demo concrete .
Telephone #
VI (victory) 9-2115
Marty Click to view attachment
TJB/914
Official Factory #'d Sales Photo's from my archives
Tom
JawjaPorsche
Not a photo of the dealership but here is tag frame from the dealership. Purchased my 914 there in February 73. There is a LA Fitness on the property now! sad.gif
euro911
QUOTE(Maltese Falcon @ Aug 20 2014, 09:33 AM) *
Telephone #
VI (victory) 9-2115
Frame that Marty!
lalee914
QUOTE(euro911 @ Aug 20 2014, 03:39 PM) *

QUOTE(Maltese Falcon @ Aug 20 2014, 09:33 AM) *
Telephone #
VI (victory) 9-2115
Frame that Marty!

I found this a while ago while doing some research on 914/6s. Interesting.

Larmo63
Is that the Don Burns Porsche/Audi (Volkswagen too) dealership here in San Juan Capistrano? I bought a few cars from there, and the old man was still in his office then and there were some DB 911 race cars still in the back. When it closed and became part of the newer VW dealership built next door, they went through all of the old Porsche parts and there was a treasure trove. One guy bought a brand new, never installed 911T motor off of the shelf! The building is still there, but it looks different.
Sleepin
QUOTE(dlkawashima @ Feb 23 2014, 06:06 PM) *

Posted on Flickr yesterday. One 914 at Don Burns Volkswagen and at least four at Don Burns Porsche Audi.
click this link for hi-res Don Burns Volkswagen and Don Burns Prestige Porsche Audi image

Click to view attachment

Must...make...poster of that now! Thanks!
Sleepin
QUOTE(Sleepin @ Aug 20 2014, 09:57 PM) *

QUOTE(dlkawashima @ Feb 23 2014, 06:06 PM) *

Click to view attachment

Must...make...poster of that now! Thanks!

My poster of this one (43.5"x16.5") should arrive today. I am pretty stoked!
Sleepin
I had it printed on Matte Canvas. Now I need to get a frame! biggrin.gif

euro911
That's pretty cool, Eric. What did it cost ya ?
Sleepin
$40 from posterprintshop.com

Pretty good print and canvas for the price!
toolguy
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Nov 25 2013, 08:52 PM) *

QUOTE(rgalla9146 @ Nov 25 2013, 03:50 PM) *

Rich was the owner at the time the car was rolled. His (now-ex) wife was driving, I believe. It seems like one of the aftermarket sway-bar drop-links failed to cause the roll-over. I was wondering just the other day what had happened to that car...

--DD

I was there and saw the car get rolled in the esses. . Rich's girlfriend was the driver. . It went over and lucky no one was hurt bad, the rollbar was the only thing left on the top of the car. . windshield was smashed back. . . It was a green Six as I remember, but that was around 1979- 1980 or so.{Some memory loss for those years} . .. Was that car resurrected. . . ???
Dave_Darling
Rich kept it in its as-rolled state for, umm, a couple or a few decades? He eventually sold it, around the time he moved from Reno to Pennsylvania. If it is better now, the next owner was the one who fixed it.

--DD
Sleepin
first.gif beerchug.gif
JeffBowlsby
1975 CHAPP BMW PORSCHE AUDI CAR DEALER ST. PETERSBURG FL
Ed_Turbo
Definitely a car guy if you have a damm photo portrait of a vintage dealershiop in your living room lol-2.gif

Anyone have pics of the old Bozzani spot? idea.gif
Marv's3.6six
QUOTE(euro911 @ Nov 25 2013, 07:11 PM) *

In my back yard: Vasek Pokak had several car dealerships in the South Bay beach cities - Audi, BMW, Saab, Subaru, VW and Volvo, in addition to Porsche.

He had a large storage facility for his personal race cars under the porsche dealership (below). They must have serviced a lot of 914s ... notice the oil stains? laugh.gif

Click to view attachment

One of my old watering holes (The Pitcher House) was right across the street, and another one (Hermosa Saloon) was just up the next block. Always walked s-l-o-w-l-y past the Porsche store on the way from one to the other beer3.gif

Click to view attachment

I was an 18 year old kid just out of high school in 1971, I had my first apartment and lived right around the corner from Vasek dealership on 1st place and would walk by the showroom almost daily. One day I saw a 908 race car sitting right next to a new 914-6 and was totally struck by the experience.... both were mid engined cars, both had the wheels way out on the corners of the car, they were also similar in size and stature.... Right there began my love for 914's. biggrin.gif aktion035.gif
914_teener
Trans Ocean VW-Audi in Pasadena also sold 914's. Mostly used me thinks. I mostly remember Rusnak though. This post brings back memories of the Captn'.

Used to see them when we went by PHS on Sierra Madre Blvd.

I have their original license plate frame on the front of my car.

I might have some pics.
simonjb
QUOTE(Jeff Bowlsby @ May 24 2018, 10:01 PM) *

1975 CHAPP BMW PORSCHE AUDI CAR DEALER ST. PETERSBURG FL

Jeff, Thats cool!

My 1972 911 T was first purchased from Chapp!
Larmo63
My beloved Aunt Sophie worked at Trans Ocean, and used to get me the little Wiking plastic cars. I had all of the bugs, busses, Karmann Ghias, in both formats. I have a few still, but I had a hundred of them.
enf2232
Did a search of the local Porsche Dealer when the cars were new. Found this add from the local PCA newsletter. Hope the screen capture works.
green ernie
QUOTE(Jeff Bowlsby @ Nov 25 2013, 09:54 PM) *

This is the only P-A dealership photo I have seen that has a 914 in it. If you have others, please post them here

Anyone got any pictures of the Merlin Olsen Porsche Audi Inc dealership of 15531 Ventura Blvd Encino CA 91436? I was over on holiday from the UK three years ago and just happened to be staying at a hotel two blocks away! The dealership has gone and is now offices. My car was bought from Merlin Olsen on 7/31/1975. Has anyone ever seen a licence plate surround for Merlin Olsen? Click to view attachment
billsimmeth
QUOTE(green ernie @ May 26 2018, 05:59 AM) *

Has anyone ever seen a licence plate surround for Merlin Olsen?

They're out there and occasionally appear on US eBay. Set up a saved search there and you may get lucky.

Click to view attachment
green ernie
QUOTE(billsimmeth @ May 26 2018, 12:48 PM) *

QUOTE(green ernie @ May 26 2018, 05:59 AM) *

Has anyone ever seen a licence plate surround for Merlin Olsen?

They're out there and occasionally appear on US eBay. Set up a saved search there and you may get lucky.

Click to view attachment

That's the one, I now know they exist, thanks I will start looking.
Mike1981
Hello Everyone

After seeing this flyer

I had to share this shot of the rear of my 72

https://scontent.fdet1-2.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1...amp;oe=5B88E918

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.