Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Valve Adjusting Screws
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Rhodes71/914
I'm putting back together a 2L I bought this fall. I did not split the case just new rings on the pistons. Took the heads to a local VW shop the guy cleaned them up and checked out the valves and told me they looked fairly new.

So I got the heads back on the engine and adjusted the valves. On cylinder #2 (left side of pic) I had to back the adjusting screws way out to get them correct. I have never seen them like this on any type IV I have done. Should I be concerned? And why so different than the others.
scotty914
check the push rod, if its not seated right it can do that

also is the cam pushing the push rod
or did some one put spacers under the rockers to make up for a fly cut then leave em out on one side
other wise it could be bad
Aaron Cox
QUOTE (scott thacher @ Dec 26 2004, 09:52 PM)
check the push rod, if its not seated right it can do that

also is the cam pushing the push rod
or did some one put spacers under the rockers to make up for a fly cut then leave em out on one side
other wise it could be bad

IPB Image

good suggestions...

spaced rockers, unseated pushrod, wrong pushrods etc
SGB
I think its gotta be the rocker arm shims missing. In fact, it almost looks like they could both be stacked under the #3 rocker.
Rhodes71/914
First thing I checked was that the pushrods were seated correctly in the rockers. Pushrods all went back in the same place as they came from. There were no spaces at all under the rockers.
Aaron Cox
PS: now would be a good reason to tap the head breather boss....install a barbed fitting IPB Image
Rhodes71/914
QUOTE (Aaron Cox @ Dec 26 2004, 09:56 PM)
PS: now would be a good reason to tap the head breather boss....install a barbed fitting IPB Image

More info please
I think I've heard it talked about but IPB Image
Aaron Cox
QUOTE (Rhodes71/914 @ Dec 26 2004, 11:09 PM)
QUOTE (Aaron Cox @ Dec 26 2004, 09:56 PM)
PS: now would be a good reason to tap the head breather boss....install a barbed fitting  ;)

More info please
I think I've heard it talked about but IPB Image

1) drill
2) Tap
3) install barbed fitting for breather hose

(these are off a 49 state 75 or76???)
Rhodes71/914
Ok so why drill and and tap when there is already a threaded hole there? What does this do for the head, that hole goes into the exhaust valve. Yes 75 engine.

Will have to remove head to to any drilling, tapping. Maybe I will have to anyway to solve my problem.

Home from college Aaron? My first year in college it was fun going home, after that it was counting the days.
Aaron Cox
QUOTE (Rhodes71/914 @ Dec 26 2004, 11:19 PM)
Ok so why drill and and tap when there is already a threaded hole there? What does this do for the head, that hole goes into the exhaust valve. Yes 75 engine.

Will have to remove head to to any drilling, tapping. Maybe I will have to anyway to solve my problem.

Home from college Aaron? My first year in college it was fun going home, after that it was counting the days.

that should be a breather port..... late model heads didnt have bosses on the for the breather hose....
it doesnt look threaded in the picture IPB Image College: yeah, love being home.... only a third done with freshman year :(PIC IPB Image
do THIS - head breather....
IPB Image
Rhodes71/914
Oops should have paid more attention to what you circled in your picture, my bad.

What size do most use and where do you run the hose, looks like a good thing to do.
SLITS
QUOTE (Rhodes71/914 @ Dec 26 2004, 09:43 PM)
I'm putting back together a 2L I bought this fall. I did not split the case just new rings on the pistons. Took the heads to a local VW shop the guy cleaned them up and checked out the valves and told me they looked fairly new.

So I got the heads back on the engine and adjusted the valves. On cylinder #2 (left side of pic) I had to back the adjusting screws way out to get them correct. I have never seen them like this on any type IV I have done. Should I be concerned? And why so different than the others.

If the machine shop reground the valves and seats, they could have sunk these two valves way deep in the seats (in other words, time for valve/seat replacement). It generally costs extra if you want the valve stem heights all the same.

Just a guess.............
Gary
QUOTE (Rhodes71/914 @ Dec 26 2004, 09:46 PM)
First thing I checked was that the pushrods were seated correctly in the rockers. Pushrods all went back in the same place as they came from. There were no spaces at all under the rockers.

Dude,

It ain't the seated in the rockers part that's hard to see. It's the seated in the lifters part. I just went through this after pulling my pushrods and pushrod tubes to replace the O-rings. When you insert the pushrods down into the lifters, it's tricky to know that they're actually snuggled down in that lifter. Ajust the adjusting screws all the way back into the rocker, which should loosen up the pushrod from the lifter. Jiggle the pushrod up and down until it seats home. You'll get a nice"thunk" feel. From your pictures, it looks like the lifters are shimmed about the same side to side, and if you just had the shop clean up the valves rather than a full valve job, I wouldn't suspect hte seats. Sometimes it's the easy stuff that gets you (I hope that's the case for you!).
Rhodes71/914
If the machine shop reground the valves and seats, they could have sunk these two valves way deep in the seats (in other words, time for valve/seat replacement). It generally costs extra if you want the valve stem heights all the same.

No machining was done to the valves or seats just a check.

When you insert the pushrods down into the lifters, it's tricky to know that they're actually snuggled down in that lifter. Ajust the adjusting screws all the way back into the rocker, which should loosen up the pushrod from the lifter. Jiggle the pushrod up and down until it seats home. You'll get a nice"thunk" feel.

I am going to pull the rockers off completely and make sure they are seated correctly on the lifter, thought I did the first time.

Thanks everyone I'll let ya know.
Rhodes71/914
Something wasn't seated correctly. Loosened the rockers, made sure the pushrods were seated correctly and tightened it back up.
Adjustment is in line with all the other cyl. I feel much better now.
Hoping to make a dent in the transplant during the holidays. IPB Image
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.