Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914 Gas Tank
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
offroad4u2
Hello All,
My question is to anyone that can help me:
I have upgraded my 1973 914 1.7L to dual carbs because of a motor upgrade.
I have two fuel lines that went to the stock fuel pump.
My question is can I use both fuel lines to feed my new electric fuel punp. I know in the old configuration one line was the supply and the other was a return. Do both of these fuel lines orginate and return to the same place and same level in the fuel tank??
If not, which line should I use as a supply line, and which one should I block off and not use?

Thanks, and Merry Christmas & Happy New Years,
Mike
Trekkor
I'd like to know the answer to this to?

Can you combine both lines in the engine compartment with a tee and use one line drawing from two?

KT
Aaron Cox
the difference is size...... other than that, do what most CARB people do... 6" fuel line with a bolt to plug it, and then the main line to the pump
skline
Use the larger of the two lines to feed your pump and carbs, cap the smaller line off. If you are smart, you will push the fuel rather than to pull the fuel. Also, use a rotary pump as they are more efficient and quieter. Also, you may want to consider replacing the factory fuel lines as they are only metal about 2 feet into your car and turn to plastic for the rest of the trip to the rear. The plastic gets old and brittle and could break causing an undesireable smell and possible fire destroying your car. I dont want to intimidate you or anything, these are only suggestions. IPB Image
Carlitos Way
Maybe I missed something but... wouldn't the "original" fuel pump put out WAY TOO MUCH psi for a carbed setup?
Mueller
QUOTE (cmolina @ Dec 26 2004, 11:57 PM)
Maybe I missed something but... wouldn't the "original" fuel pump put out WAY TOO MUCH psi for a carbed setup?

yep, you missed the original post saying he has a new pump IPB Image
Carlitos Way
By George... I sure did. OR I misunderstood... after all... it IS 11:00 on Sunday!!!

Thanks for pointing it out. IPB Image
DJsRepS
I would not T in to both lines. The supply line to the pump from the tank has a strainer in the tank. The orignal return line I would seal shut cap and clamp, as it may not draw from the bottom and may suck air at a low gas level. The orignal pump is regulated apx 30psi with a return line. Put that pump on a carb that only needs 4psi and you will be getting +70psi. Change the pump, Use the supply line from the tank and cap off the retrun line. I would put a good Djet system back on it unless you installed a good camshaft for carberation.
datapace
For carbs, you could cap the return with this Fuel Cap from JWest (James). It comes with a -6AN connection, but he was able to make one for me that was capped without threads for $20. Maybe if enough people start requesting them, he can put them on the website.

IPB Image

Seems like a much cleaner and less leak-prone way that using a few inches off tubing, a bolt and a clamp as I had it done before.

-bryan
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.