Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 73 seat belt warning system
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
David_S
Trying to pick back up on my project after putting it away for about 3 years. I am trying to sort out the electrical system before I start putting too much of it back together. With Texas having a seat belt law, and my dumb ass always forgetting to buckle up, I want to try to get the seat belt warning system sorted out. All of the wiring,switches, and 4 connector warning light are there. How is this system supposed to work ? I have looked thru the schematics for 73 and have hooked it all up according to the schematics, and the thing still will not work !! Would it be easier to just start from scratch and use a 2 connector light and wire in my own relay and buzzer ?? Or ...... just delete the whole system and learn to just buckle up ????
drgchapman
Leave it unhooked, it is extremely annoying!
914itis
Learn to just buckle up. Don't buckle up for the law, It's for your own safety.
mikesmith
QUOTE(David_S @ Nov 25 2013, 04:43 PM) *

Trying to pick back up on my project after putting it away for about 3 years. I am trying to sort out the electrical system before I start putting too much of it back together. With Texas having a seat belt law, and my dumb ass always forgetting to buckle up, I want to try to get the seat belt warning system sorted out. All of the wiring,switches, and 4 connector warning light are there. How is this system supposed to work ? I have looked thru the schematics for 73 and have hooked it all up according to the schematics, and the thing still will not work !! Would it be easier to just start from scratch and use a 2 connector light and wire in my own relay and buzzer ?? Or ...... just delete the whole system and learn to just buckle up ????

Well, just learning to buckle up is certainly going to be cheaper and perhaps less frustrating, but the warning buzzer system is pretty simple.

Assuming you have the warning control box in your car (67 in the wiring diagram), unplug the yellow, brown/white and gray/brown wires.

Turn the ignition on, but don't start the car.

Check that you have 12V on the red wire to the buzzer. If you can't get at it, you should also see 12V on the gray/brown wire.

Take the gray/brown wire and short it to ground (bare metal in the chassis somewhere handy) - the buzzer should sound. If it doesn't, there is a problem with the buzzer or the wire that supplies power to it.

Assuming the buzzer works, turn the ignition off, plug it into the control box, then turn the ignition on again.

Take the terminal that the yellow wire was attached to (it should be marked G) and connect it to ground. The warning light should come on, and the buzzer should sound. If it doesn't, then there is a problem with the control box.

Assuming everything has worked so far, turn the ignition off.

Connect a resistance meter between the yellow wire and ground, and don't be sitting in the passenger's seat. You should see very little resistance (a few ohms). If you don't, then there is a problem with the wiring to the switch in the driver's seatbelt buckle, the switch in the buckle, or the ground connection from the switch.

If you see a low resistance, insert the belt into the buckle - you should see the resistance go up (it should become nearly infinite). If you don't see any change, there is a problem with the switch in the buckle.

Assuming everything has worked so far, leave the belt in the driver's buckle and go sit in the passenger's seat. You should see the resistance between the yellow wire and ground go back down to close to zero when you sit in the seat. If you don't, there is a problem with the switch in the passenger's seat, in the passenger's buckle switch or in the wiring from the warning box to these switches or to ground.

Insert the passenger's seatbelt into the buckle; you should see the resistance go back up. If you don't, there is a problem with the switch in the buckle.

HTH.
euro911
When did they start putting pressure sensors in the passenger seat cushions?
David_S
Thanks for the info. Going to try to tackle this tonight. I will post back with what I find !!
JeffBowlsby
QUOTE(euro911 @ Nov 25 2013, 07:27 PM) *

When did they start putting pressure sensors in the passenger seat cushions?

David_S
Ok .... Here is what I have found so far .... If I ground the grey/brown wire then I get the light and buzzer. If I ground the yellow wire (G terminal ) then I get nothing. If I ground the brown/white wire then my brake light will flash, but no seat belt light or buzzer. It is looking like my module is bad. I am thinking that I have another module that I will try to find tomorrow and see what it does !!
mikesmith
Make sure that you have power to the module; should be 12V on the black wire with the ignition in the 'on' position.
David_S
I do have the 12 volts on the black wire !!
David_S
I dug thru my parts stash tonight and found a different seat belt light module. Swapped out the modules and everything seems to work so far !!!! Now on to the next step ....
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.