Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 1973 D-Jet fuel pump
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Jesco Reient
OK, I was really happy, I'm 495 days into the "Tune UP" and repair of the D-Jet fuel injection unit. After completely rebuilding the engine, Injection components, Wiring harness for the D-Jet, align boring the Type IV case, The plastic bags were empty! Yay for empty parts containers! I made the decision after check the electrical out to add Gasoline........

The Bosch Pump leaks out of the seams as soon as it pressurized like a sieve, fuel all under the pump.

That wonderful little gem of a NLA fuel pump. Any suggestions, O-ring and seal kits? I would like to stay with the Bosch pump but am I the lone ranger on this?

Is the alternative to just run a single outlet pump (Which one?) and just run the return line direct to the pump? I was really hoping after 9 years to have my wife's 914 running by the weekend.

I appreciate all the help and suggestions out there.
John
TheCabinetmaker
I have a few good 3 port pumps, but I would use the late 2 port pump. Easy swap.
saigon71
My original plan was to keep the three port pump as well after restoration.

When it started leaking at the seams I looked at buying a used three port pump.

After giving it some thought, I decided to buy a new Bosch 2 port pump. I didn't want to chance a very preventable break down by using a 40 yr old fuel pump.

It's your call, but I would buy a new one - especially on your wife's car.
TheCabinetmaker
The factory changed to a 2 port pump in 75. Napa has a direct replacement. Napa gold series pump. Under a 100. I can get you the part # later.
JStroud
QUOTE(The Cabinetmaker @ Nov 26 2013, 07:34 AM) *

The factory changed to a 2 port pump in 75. Napa has a direct replacement. Napa gold series pump. Under a 100. I can get you the part # later.

Just bought one, Napa part N69133, around $95.

Jeff
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(JStroud @ Nov 26 2013, 10:00 AM) *

QUOTE(The Cabinetmaker @ Nov 26 2013, 07:34 AM) *

Just bought one, Napa part N69133, around $95.

Jeff

Universal fuel pump replacement: Airtex E8445

Bolt in and go. Been running one for 3 years now. No problems with it.

Jesco Reient
Thank You guys Very much!

I've decided that the consensus of the group is to go with the two port inline style pump, Now I'm shopping to get one in my hot little hands today! I'll be replacing the "Y" in the return with a straight through return to the tank. I'm so Glad I only put a gallon of fuel in the tank for testing it all.

Thanks for the one gallon trick to someone here on 914 world.
sdthomas
I'm curious to hear how you re-configure the fuel lines for the new pump. Mine just died and I'm trying figure out how re-route the lines if I go aftermarket.

Wish I only had one gallon in the tank...
JawjaPorsche
I mounted my new pump on the firewall. You don't need the Y-fuel line split back to the fuel pump since it only has two prongs. Here is picture. I used an extra coil bracket to mount the new pump since it has a smaller diameter than three prong. I have a 73. The old pump was under the battery deep in a hole! This is a Bosch pump.
TheCabinetmaker
Hmm, the Napa unit is Bosch. Is that aftermarket?
r_towle
Use rubber isolation standoffs, or you may feel and hear vibration
Jesco Reient
OK, it looks like the pump I used, I took pictures so that I could show how I did my install I'll put those up later.

All I have left is the wiring as the original wires were just about an inch short of what I needed. So of course I'll over correct in my fix.

headbang.gif
Jesco Reient
OK, So I used the Bosch 69469 Pump. I used the square fuel filter that goes from 7MM inlet to a 12MM outlet as the pump has a 12MM inlet with a 7MM outlet. eliminated the "Y" Changed the ends on the factory wires to those supplied by Bosch in the box. This resolved the fuel pump issue.

I know I promised pictures , However the fine people at Cardomain.com have made their website so hard to navigate that was not possible today. But the picture above is basically how I did the install also, except I did use the rubber isolation mounts.

Again Thanks very much, the next adventure is following Kjell's D-Jet troubleshooting pages, The engine will buck and kick but not start. However that will be the next thread. hissyfit.gif headbang.gif chair.gif
John
TheCabinetmaker
Bucking and kicking sounds like timing is way off , or plug wires are off
Jesco Reient
QUOTE(The Cabinetmaker @ Nov 28 2013, 10:15 AM) *

Bucking and kicking sounds like timing is way off , or plug wires are off

It doesn't "pop" out of the exhaust or intake when it tries to run. I poured a couple ounces of gasoline into the manifold and then tried to start it again. It ran for about five seconds then went back to the bucking and kicking. So my next check will be the injector points. The injectors themselves were just tested and calibrated by Marren Fuel injection in Connecticut, so I'm sure they are working.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.