Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: New 914, New Problem
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ehokana
I finally picked up a new-to-me 914 and drove it home- no issues whatsoever on the 250 mile trip; the car ran smooth and strong the entire way

Anyway, I got the car home and went to pull the car into the garage after about half an hour- I couldn't get it to start up. I have power to all of the gauges and can hear everything kick on when I turn the key but the engine doesn't crank. I was planning on tearing into the car a bit this weekend but was hoping for a little advice on what to look for or check, if anyone else has had a similar problem. I was told to check the voltage to the starter first off, so I guess that's my starting point.

Thanks in advance guys
ConeDodger
Wait till it cools off and it might start... smile.gif
ehokana
Well, it's been 2 days...if it hasn't cooled off yet, I think there might be bigger problems

All joking aside, that was my first thought, but I don't seem to have that kind of luck on my side this time
dlee6204
I would first check to make sure the yellow wire on the back of the starter is still connected. Sometime it can pop off. I would then move onto check voltage at the starter and what not.
ehokana
Thanks dlee, I'll start there. I don't know if it makes any difference but I had locked the steering wheel when I pulled the car into the driveway. I wasn't sure if maybe that had something to do with the issue or maybe I was just looking for some sort of connection.
jimkelly
put the key in ignition and jiggle it lightly and jiggle the steering wheel too, till the steering lock disengages.

when you say won't turn over, you mean starter is not doing anything?

give us a pic of your starter from the rear where wiring to it shows.

bulitt
When you turn the key is the starter turning?
No?

Check your battery terminals for corrosion. Clean and reattach
Then make sure the ground from black battery cable to body is corrosion free at body.
Then, there is a ground that runs from the body to the top of the transmission. Make sure it is corrosion free and not oil soaked.

Check your fuses.

Disconnect the negative/black cable at battery, then make sure all cables at starter are corrosion free.

Still nothing, your battery maybe dying? Put a load meter on it, or take it to Autozone and have them check it for free. See a date on the top? Usually last about three years. If you have a charger throw it on.
cwpeden
After all that tap the solenoid with the soft end of a hammer. I have an old wooden hammer handle for hot days. Take care not to hit the end where the wires connect, its brittle.
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE(ehokana @ Nov 25 2013, 11:04 PM) *

I finally picked up a new-to-me 914 and drove it home- no issues whatsoever on the 250 mile trip; the car ran smooth and strong the entire way

Anyway, I got the car home and went to pull the car into the garage after about half an hour- I couldn't get it to start up. I have power to all of the gauges and can hear everything kick on when I turn the key but the engine doesn't crank. I was planning on tearing into the car a bit this weekend but was hoping for a little advice on what to look for or check, if anyone else has had a similar problem. I was told to check the voltage to the starter first off, so I guess that's my starting point.

Thanks in advance guys

Tell us, please, what year the car is. Makes a difference ..........

The Cap'n
ehokana
Car is a '73 2.0. The wheel unlocked when I went to start up the car, just like normal. Power to the car kicks on but, I guess what I meant was, the starter isn't doing anything

I'll try to put up a pic of the starter when I get home this afternoon
Dave_Darling
How low does the voltmeter (in the center console) droop when you try to crank the starter?

--DD
boxsterfan
QUOTE(ehokana @ Nov 26 2013, 09:33 AM) *

Car is a '73 2.0. The wheel unlocked when I went to start up the car, just like normal. Power to the car kicks on but, I guess what I meant was, the starter isn't doing anything

I'll try to put up a pic of the starter when I get home this afternoon

Do the 73 cars have the seat belt relays under the passenger seat (note: some late 73's may have this anyways)? My 74 had the exact same problem. There were some wires shorting each other out down there. Do you hear any buzzing coming from under the passenger seat?

I took out the passenger seat, jiggled around some and car started right up. The next weekend, I cleaned all of the connectors down there and no trouble since.

You can also take the 2 big yellow wires under there and bypass the seat belt relay system if this is your root cause. https://bowlsby.net/914/Classic/zTN_SeatbeltRelayBypass.jpg
Bob L.
Ignition switch?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.