Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What about Chrome?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Olympic 914
I know I am probably setting myself up for a major FLAME but I’ve lately been thinking about getting my intake parts chromed. Probably the FI runners and stock 2.0 air cleaner, maybe the plenum…

I’ll leave the tins black and not do the valve covers ( Powder coat?)

I have a good friend who owns a local chrome shop and does excellent show quality work, He has already done some of my motorcycle stuff, and gets parts sent to him from all over the country.

Has anyone here done anything like this and could you post a few pictures?
wndsnd
tooth.gif
gothspeed
How about chroming those bumpers instead idea.gif
Porschef
Not a big fan of chromed engine parts. icon8.gif That's just me.

However, could your guy handle 16 lug bolts? They look good in chrome. My polish job has long worn off.

And chromed bumpers? beerchug.gif drooley.gif
balljoint
I had all kinds of engine bits chromed on my Bug.
Olympic 914
QUOTE(Porschef @ Nov 26 2013, 12:01 PM) *

Not a big fan of chromed engine parts.

However, could your guy handle 16 lug bolts? They look good in chrome. My polish job has long worn off.

And chromed bumpers? beerchug.gif drooley.gif

As far as doing the bumpers... it depends on what wheels I end up with. I kind of like the black bumpers right now.

am not sure if his tanks are big enough for full width bumpers. I know he always has early Corvette bumpers he's doing.

No Problem on the lug bolts though, if you really are interested PM me and I will give you contact info.

I like Chrome...

IPB Image
JmuRiz
Chrome don't get you home...there, someone had to say it.

Can't hurt though, if possible just do the outside.

What's the shop, I have bumpers that need fixed and re-chromed biggrin.gif
Dave_Darling
Before you do that to lug bolts, do some research on "hydrogen embrittlement". The chroming process can, at least sometimes, make the metal more brittle and prone to breaking from high stress.

--DD
Cap'n Krusty
The chroming process weakens and embrittles the steel. While it doesn't matter much on non-load bearing components, I would NEVER chrome plate things like lug nuts or bolts. IIRC, the SCCA forbids chrome roll bars and cages for this reason.

The Cap'n
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE(balljoint @ Nov 26 2013, 09:03 AM) *

I had all kinds of engine bits chromed on my Bug.

Well, bug people like that kind of shiny doodads .......................

The Cap'n
ConeDodger
Well you have to ask yourself, do you want to drive it or look at it? blink.gif
balljoint
confused24.gif

Yeah. Cuz we've never ever seen a picture of a bunch of guys standing around in a parking lot drinking beer and looking at cars.

How aboot both?
Porschef
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Nov 26 2013, 01:38 PM) *

The chroming process weakens and embrittles the steel. While it doesn't matter much on non-load bearing components, I would NEVER chrome plate things like lug nuts or bolts. IIRC, the SCCA forbids chrome roll bars and cages for this reason.

The Cap'n

Ahhh bloody hell... so then what? Repolish and hit em with sumthin like this?

Click to view attachment
Drums66
....Looks "pretty" in the right places idea.gif
flag.gif bye1.gif
Mike Bellis
Chroming your intake bits will increase the intake air temps. Go with a white ceramic if you must coat them.
Olympic 914
QUOTE(Mike Bellis @ Nov 26 2013, 08:09 PM) *

Chroming your intake bits will increase the intake air temps. Go with a white ceramic if you must coat them.

I understand that the white ceramic would be good because it would reflect the heat rather than absorb it like a darker color. however along the same lines the chrome also would reflect the heat of the engine compartment.

since the plenum and intake runners are suspended above the engine and only really attached at the ports, the whole system is pretty insulated

in this case it would seem to me that chrome, because of its reflective nature, would actually be cooler running than the dark gray they came originally with.
Mike Bellis
QUOTE(Olympic 1.7 @ Nov 26 2013, 06:19 PM) *

QUOTE(Mike Bellis @ Nov 26 2013, 08:09 PM) *

I understand that the white ceramic would be good because it would reflect the heat rather than absorb it like a darker color. however along the same lines the chrome also would reflect the heat of the engine compartment.

since the plenum and intake runners are suspended above the engine and only really attached at the ports, the whole system is pretty insulated

in this case it would seem to me that chrome, because of its reflective nature, would actually be cooler running than the dark gray they came originally with.

Chrome also absorbs the heat in order to reflect it. The heat does not simply bounce of it. This raises the intake temps, reduces power and causes detonation.

Your car, do as you wish... beerchug.gif
euro911
If it were me

1. Bumpers
2. Dash and center console gauge rings
bulitt
Frickin Chrome! I'm doomed... chair.gif

Click to view attachment
McMark
Just so all these guys don't scare you away... I wanna see pictures when it's done. biggrin.gif
Ian Stott
You can get Chrome looking lug nut covers at a Volvo dealer, they fit good and look pretty good as well.

Ian Stott
Moncton
Canada
PanelBilly
I'm working on having a bunch of parts Spectrachromed. It a paint on process. So far I'm only looking at trim and not engine parts. i like looking at a car. Damn, there's been cars that I can study for close to an hour, enjoying all the curves and bends of the metal.
old dog
QUOTE(PanelBilly @ Nov 27 2013, 07:03 PM) *

I'm working on having a bunch of parts Spectrachromed. It a paint on process. So far I'm only looking at trim and not engine parts. i like looking at a car. Damn, there's been cars that I can study for close to an hour, enjoying all the curves and bends of the metal.

Known a couple girls like that...
Type 47
your car your choice and no one should 2nd guess your choices...

That said IMHO the engine bay on a 914 is not a place for chrome. door handles, bumpers (just paid about $850 for a chore and re-chrome front) are the few locations for chrome.

If you want to do something different paint/coat them to match the body color.
PanelBilly
For so reason God gave me FOUR DAUGHTERS to raise. I think that was my payback for the way I treated the females when I was a youngster.

PanelBilly
For so reason God gave me FOUR DAUGHTERS to raise. I think that was my payback for the way I treated the females when I was a youngster.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.