Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: seat belts
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
kid914
Thinking of installing a 4 point harness. I if those of you who have done this......can you post pics?

thanks
MoveQik
I don't have a "how to" but I would offer this bit of advice....if you don't need them for racing and/or your factory belts work fine, consider not going to harnesses. I switched to harnesses and after some time, I hate them. They are a PIA to adjust every time someone gets in and they are a PIA compared to regular belts to use. They look cool....but that is it. Now that said, if you have already gone through this thought process, please disregard this post and consider it a WTB ad for factory belts. biggrin.gif
Randal
QUOTE(kid914 @ Nov 26 2013, 05:56 PM) *

Thinking of installing a 4 point harness. I if those of you who have done this......can you post pics?

thanks

Do you mean 5 or 6 point harnesses?

Click to view attachment
'73-914kid
The most recent "racing" incident with Speed Ventures at Chuckwalla resulted in the death of the passenger, and possibly the driver (can't remember) becasue of 4 point seat belts. Standard 3 point belts, or complete 5 point harnesses are the only proper way to go for seatbelts.

BTW: I drove around for 3 years with 5 point harnesses in my car as a daily driver... I was young, and didn't care, as they looked cool. I still drive my car every day, but the harnesses are gone, and 944 belts are in their place.. You be the judge on that one.
Elliot Cannon
I've had a five point harness in my car for 10 years and I love it. Inertia reel seat belts suck. They were invented for lazy assed people who value comfort and ease rather than safety. If it takes someone awhile to adjust the harness, that's OK, I'm patient and will wait till you're done. If you don't like it, ride with someone else. lol-2.gif poke.gif I've seen all the arguments against them but I'll always use them in my 914. By the way, ALWAYS a five or six point. NEVER a four point.

Cheers, and Happy Thanksgiving to all, Elliot
mikesmith
I think "because of 4 point seat belts" is wildly misleading. The accident wasn't caused by the belts, and given the damage to the vehicle to suggest that the passenger would have survived with some other belt configuration is pure speculation.

You can read the whole collected discussion here:

http://www.trackhq.com/forums/f325/fatality-%40-cvr-6148/

and come to your own conclusion, but in general from a safety perspective what matters is that you're wearing the restraint in the manner that it was designed to be worn, and that it is installed in a fashion that allows it to be effective.

Wearing any sort of harness correctly can be annoying, and installing one correctly in a road car can be difficult. These are both good reasons to stick with the factory belt setup.

"4pt harnesses will leap from the roadside shrubbery and stab your eyes out with a spork" is not.
DBCooper
QUOTE(Elliot Cannon @ Nov 26 2013, 07:42 PM) *

I've had a five point harness in my car for 10 years and I love it. Inertia reel seat belts suck. They were invented for lazy assed people who value comfort and ease rather than safety. If it takes someone awhile to adjust the harness, that's OK, I'm patient and will wait till you're done. If you don't like it, ride with someone else. lol-2.gif poke.gif I've seen all the arguments against them but I'll always use them in my 914. By the way, ALWAYS a five or six point. NEVER a four point.

Cheers, and Happy Thanksgiving to all, Elliot

+1, though in my view while a 4 point might be less than ideal it's still light years better than a retractable 3-point harness.

'73-914kid
The fact that the lap belt can be stretched and slide upon impact and end up around your belly button is why they're dangerous. I don't care how tight they are, or how safe they're installed, an anti sub strap is needed. Had she been wearing 5 point belts, the crash probably would have broken her pelvis, instead of almost cutting through her torso.

And I was in no way insinuating that the 4 points were the cause of the accident, but I guarantee you they were one of the primary causes of death for the female passenger.

My apologies, it wasn't a speed ventures event, but it was another one of those "self tech" events.
Randal
QUOTE('73-914kid @ Nov 26 2013, 08:13 PM) *

The fact that the lap belt can be stretched and slide upon impact and end up around your belly button is why they're dangerous. I don't care how tight they are, or how safe they're installed, an anti sub strap is needed. Had she been wearing 5 point belts, the crash probably would have broken her pelvis, instead of almost cutting through her torso.

And I was in no way insinuating that the 4 points were the cause of the accident, but I guarantee you they were one of the primary causes of death for the female passenger.

My apologies, it wasn't a speed ventures event, but it was another one of those "self tech" events.

If you install 5 point belts you'll need to put a big piece of flat aluminum under the car to provide additional support for the mounting. I can take a picture this weekend and post if you're interested.
kid914
I would appreciate pics yes...Thanks

Q-2
Would a five point harness need a special seat???
I would like to keep the factory seats if I can.. smile.gif

VaccaRabite
Also keep in mind that 4 and 5 point harnesses may not be DOT legal in your area. If pulled over, you could get an additional ticket for no seat belt.

Yes, I know it is asinine. But it is something to think about.

Zach
GulleyGulley
Use the 5 point belt at the very least. The 4 point belts tend to ride up which would be dangerous in an accident. The 5 point sub belt keeps the lap belts in place. Most belts will come with the correct bolts and large heavy metal washers for mounting. Don't use aluminum unless it's a very heavy gauge.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.