Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Newb w/ some general questions
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
nonverbal
I've been a 914 fan (and porsche) since I was little and decided a year or so ago that I'd like to look for a project car. Not a ton of cars come up in Alberta and area, plus rust free doesn't exist. I was hoping, like most, to get something around '73, but what looks like a decent 1970 has come up. Can I get some feedback from guys that own/ familiar with 1970's and what it's like in comparison. Things like the passenger seat; all well and good to look at and try to judge pros/ cons, but irl, does it really take away from enjoyment of the car? Or does a guy hold out for the right year to come up? I just want a fun car to play with and one day drive part-time.
76-914
Hold out for the one you want and buy the very best example that you can afford. Much cheaper, as in thousands, when someone else has fixed it up.
Mike Bellis
Look for rust!!!
ellisor3
You are much better off spending a little extra for a good body. Rust gets expensive very quickly. Everything else can be sourced at a reasonable price.
nonverbal
Yeah, well that's the thing....the 1970 might be a good low rust example. That why I'm torn. Less rust better than holding out for right year that might bring more work. Thinking of compromising year for condition.
r_towle
Buy the car and have fun.
Don't like the seat, change it for the later year
Don't like the motor, build a bigger one....

It's a hobby car to make into what you want.
nonverbal
QUOTE(r_towle @ Nov 28 2013, 10:23 PM) *

Buy the car and have fun.
Don't like the seat, change it for the later year
Don't like the motor, build a bigger one....

It's a hobby car to make into what you want.

See, that's what I'm talking about. Want the appearance package? Put one in. Thanks for that. Okay, let's see if this one has as little rust as I'm hoping. Going to see it on Sat. *fingers crossed*

Great community here too, you guys. Hope to soon be contributing and leaning on these forums. Having been a lurker for a bit, you've already helped me tons leading up to my decision to taking the plunge.
Razorbobsr
QUOTE(nonverbal @ Nov 28 2013, 09:19 PM) *

I've been a 914 fan (and porsche) since I was little and decided a year or so ago that I'd like to look for a project car. Not a ton of cars come up in Alberta and area, plus rust free doesn't exist. I was hoping, like most, to get something around '73, but what looks like a decent 1970 has come up. Can I get some feedback from guys that own/ familiar with 1970's and what it's like in comparison. Things like the passenger seat; all well and good to look at and try to judge pros/ cons, but irl, does it really take away from enjoyment of the car? Or does a guy hold out for the right year to come up? I just want a fun car to play with and one day drive part-time.

Have you bought it yet? U can have mine. Bob
jimkelly
some areas where rust hides or can be disguised.

so let's say one starts off with a less than basket case car for $2000

once rust and bodywork and paint are done - $5-10k.

then you have suspension, brakes, steering, fuel - another $4k

then you have interior and weather rubber - another $2k

then you have engine rebuild - $1-5k depending on what you do.

nonverbal
Went and saw the car today and it has a little rust but doesn't look terrible...better than I thought even. Concerns: fully undercoted so could be hiding, but more likely just honestly trying to protect car.

But you know how when you sit down in drivers side and the door doesn't close easily all the way anymore? Closes fine from outside car. How much of a concern is that?
Jon H.
QUOTE(nonverbal @ Dec 1 2013, 12:55 AM) *

Went and saw the car today and it has a little rust but doesn't look terrible...better than I thought even. Concerns: fully undercoted so could be hiding, but more likely just honestly trying to protect car.

But you know how when you sit down in drivers side and the door doesn't close easily all the way anymore? Closes fine from outside car. How much of a concern is that?

Major rust hiding in the Longs. If you did that with the roof on try that with the roof off, it will be much more difficult to open/close the door.

Jon
Razorbobsr
QUOTE(nonverbal @ Dec 1 2013, 03:55 AM) *

No sagging on my car, no matter how you jack it or how high! Bob
brant
I wouldn't buy a car without pulling the rocker covers
nonverbal
QUOTE(Razorbobsr @ Dec 1 2013, 06:23 AM) *

Thanks, Bob....think you can get it any closer than 2000 miles away from me? ;-)
billh1963
As previous posters have said...THE SINGLE MOST IMPORTANT FACTOR IS RUST!

Unless you are trying to restore the car to concours level, you will be making mods anyway to suit your taste. Buy a car with an excellent body....everything else is cheap compared rust repair/body work.
Razorbobsr
QUOTE(nonverbal @ Dec 1 2013, 01:30 PM) *

QUOTE(Razorbobsr @ Dec 1 2013, 06:23 AM) *

Thanks, Bob....think you can get it any closer than 2000 miles away from me? ;-)

When I bought the 914 I drove it 1500 miles back in a round about way, from FL, I have no doubt it would do as well today. Are you looking for a 'Go Faster' type of 914? Mine has most of the normal mods. Bob
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.