Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Elliot Cannon
I need to have some heat in my hangar for a small get-together next month. I would rather not have heat from an open flame next to the airplane. What do you use to provide heat in your garage? Can anyone suggest a safe, flameless portable heater? I know all you cold climate folks will laugh but it might get down into the fifties that day. biggrin.gif
Thanks, Elliot
mepstein
Equipment rental store will have options.

Does the plane have to be in the hanger durring the party?
stugray
The propane powered forced air heaters are the best for fast worry free heat.

The radiant heat POS's that you put on your propane tank are a serious safety risk.
Mark Henry
One day only? Do you have 220v?
Portable electric construction heater.

You don't want to use it all the time though, your meter will almost torque off the wall when you turn that sucker on.
Tilly74
I bought one of these off of Craigslist for $20. 30 minutes of it sitting in my long one car garage takes it from the 30 degree mark to mid 50's. Two of them would make it too warm.

IPB Image
scotty b
QUOTE(Tilly74 @ Nov 29 2013, 12:36 PM) *

I bought one of these off of Craigslist for $20. 30 minutes of it sitting in my long one car garage takes it from the 30 degree mark to mid 50's. Two of them would make it too warm.

IPB Image

SOOooooo Elliot would only need 100 of them ? confused24.gif
rhodyguy
50s OH MY!!!! rolleyes.gif biggrin.gif jackets shoes and socks.
Mark Henry
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Nov 29 2013, 04:33 PM) *

lol-2.gif av-943.gif
Missed that! huh.gif
In Canada we'd still be in T-shirts! w00t.gif

dry.gif rolleyes.gif
r_towle
Open the door and let in some warm air.
worn
QUOTE(r_towle @ Nov 29 2013, 01:50 PM) *

Open the door and let in some warm air.

Yeah, it doesnt sound so bad. But because it isnt very cold there is little insulation. I used to live in the bay area. Went back to california for a week long meeting at Asilomar. Almost froze my ass off. No heat, and lots of fleece jackets.
Since it is a hanger perhaps you can pass out ww2 leather flight jackets. Your guests will like that!
aharder
Propane burns clean biggrin.gif
Home Depot has a Dyna-Glo Delux that I have and it's great. SKU202922773
bandjoey
R we talking about 10,000 sq. ft? Size matters.
2nd those round tube propane blowers. They can also be rented.
What time do we show up? beerchug.gif
rick 918-S
I second Tool rental construction heaters. They have different sizes.
Elliot Cannon
The forced air propane blowers you can rent are way too noisy. I've only got 110V in the hangar. I might use some outdoor type heaters and open the hangar doors halfway. The hangar is almost 2000 sq. ft. By the way, it was broken into last night along with three or four others on my side of the airport. sad.gif They stole my tool box, an oxygen cylinder, my mountain mike and a 5 gallon jug of 100LL aviation gas. On top of that, the cheeky bastards opened my mini-fridge and helped themselves to a bottle of 805 beer. F**K I hate thieves. There is a large car hauler trailer next to the hangar behind me they tried to steel as well. As they were trying to back it out, they hit and broke a fire hydrant and half the airport was flooded. I think that was what spooked them away because there was a lot more they could have taken from my hangar but didn't. The case hardened lock was snipped with bolt cutters. WTF.gif ya gonna do. I'm thinking a 410 with blanks hooked to the hangar door and when I find a pile of stromberg.gif in front of the door, I'll know it worked. laugh.gif
Elliot Cannon
QUOTE(bandjoey @ Nov 29 2013, 06:11 PM) *

R we talking about 10,000 sq. ft? Size matters.
2nd those round tube propane blowers. They can also be rented.
What time do we show up? beerchug.gif

2000 sq. ft. The propane blowers I have found to be just a bit too noisy. Dec. 15 the between 3 and 6. biggrin.gif Hangar B20
Elliot Cannon
QUOTE(aharder @ Nov 29 2013, 05:36 PM) *

Propane burns clean biggrin.gif
Home Depot has a Dyna-Glo Delux that I have and it's great. SKU202922773

I'll check that one out, thanks.
ConeDodger
QUOTE(Elliot Cannon @ Nov 29 2013, 07:29 PM) *

The forced air propane blowers you can rent are way too noisy. I've only got 110V in the hangar. I might use some outdoor type heaters and open the hangar doors halfway. The hangar is almost 2000 sq. ft. By the way, it was broken into last night along with three or four others on my side of the airport. sad.gif They stole my tool box, an oxygen cylinder, my mountain mike and a 5 gallon jug of 100LL aviation gas. On top of that, the cheeky bastards opened my mini-fridge and helped themselves to a bottle of 805 beer. F**K I hate thieves. There is a large car hauler trailer next to the hangar behind me they tried to steel as well. As they were trying to back it out, they hit and broke a fire hydrant and half the airport was flooded. I think that was what spooked them away because there was a lot more they could have taken from my hangar but didn't. The case hardened lock was snipped with bolt cutters. WTF.gif ya gonna do. I'm thinking a 410 with blanks hooked to the hangar door and when I find a pile of stromberg.gif in front of the door, I'll know it worked. laugh.gif

Six cars in my neighborhood wer vandalized last night. Broken windows everywhere. Bastards! mad.gif
mepstein
QUOTE(Elliot Cannon @ Nov 29 2013, 10:29 PM) *

Security camera
budk
QUOTE(stugray @ Nov 29 2013, 02:42 PM) *

The radiant heat POS's that you put on your propane tank are a serious safety risk.

I've been looking at the single and double radiant units that fit on a tank...

I know that if they get knocked over that would be a safety issue but that issue can be managed by securing the tank in a box or milk crate. Are there any other safety concerns?

I have a 3 car garage but I only need to heat one bay while I work.

Someday I would like to get an outdoor furnace and plumb the garage for radiant hot water heat but I need a simple, propane solution for now. I dont' want the noisy forced air heaters (propane or kerosene).
scotty b
QUOTE(budk @ Nov 30 2013, 05:50 AM) *

I've been looking at the single and double radiant units that fit on a tank...

I know that if they get knocked over that would be a safety issue but that issue can be managed by securing the tank in a box or milk crate. Are there any other safety concerns?

I have a 3 car garage but I only need to heat one bay while I work.

Someday I would like to get an outdoor furnace and plumb the garage for radiant hot water heat but I need a simple, propane solution for now. I dont' want the noisy forced air heaters (propane or kerosene).

Find a HVAC guy and get a heat strip unit that he has pulled with a busted heat pump, or even better a house that is being upgraded and get the heat pump too. The guys across the lot form me bring in 3-4 a week on average. I got one and it does a damn good job of keeping a 1500s.f. high ceiling warm.

warm being a constant 50-60* so Elliot may need 4 of them poke.gif
wndsrfr
QUOTE(Elliot Cannon @ Nov 29 2013, 07:29 PM) *

.......... They stole my tool box, an oxygen cylinder, my mountain mike and a 5 gallon jug of 100LL aviation gas. On top of that, the cheeky bastards opened my mini-fridge and helped themselves to a bottle of 805 beer. WTF.gif ya gonna do.

Take a deep breath, another deep breath.....repeat 'til you hyperventilate. When you come to, get into the Zen of life and chalk it all off to the flow of life. Like, you really needed to clean out that tool box, right? Now you can go get it all again new, either paid by insurance or if you're self insured with the money you saved all these years.
Now, the beer is unforgivable....maybe switch to Guiness Extra Stout.....they won't even recognize that as beer & leave it alone! beer3.gif
Sorry for your loss, man--truly a PITA ...
r_towle
Next time, build a chain linked cage for everything, with an alarm and cameras that are motion activated.

I use all types of heat here.
Kerosene salamder...loud but it heats up fast.
Propane tank mounted heater, effective, but puts out c02 so it needs fresh air.
Wood stove, the best.

All are in a bay with fuel, but not airplane fuel...so that is the difference.

Fuel fumes are on the ground, the bottom six inches.
I leave the door open and the bottom which makes for a draft, but it keep a constant breeze at the floor level to dissipate the fumes and keep them from getting concentrated to much.

Rich
Elliot Cannon
OK. So I'm thinkin'...
budk
QUOTE(scotty b @ Nov 30 2013, 08:58 AM) *

Find a HVAC guy and get a heat strip unit that he has pulled with a busted heat pump, or even better a house that is being upgraded and get the heat pump too. The guys across the lot form me bring in 3-4 a week on average. I got one and it does a damn good job of keeping a 1500s.f. high ceiling warm.

By heat strip unit, do you mean the electric emergency resister heat panel or do you mean something else?
injunmort
I like the claymore for fast heat
r_towle
Elliott,

That would certainly awaken any neighbors for a few blocks...
Might be prudent to aim that away from the plane...just saying
ConeDodger
Elyut, remember the restaurant style propane heaters we rented for WCR 2010 up at Tahoe? They should work...
scotty b
QUOTE(budk @ Nov 30 2013, 01:04 PM) *

QUOTE(scotty b @ Nov 30 2013, 08:58 AM) *

By heat strip unit, do you mean the electric emergency resister heat panel or do you mean something else?

HellifIknow. unsure.gif The unit that usually goes in the attic. The heat part of a heat pump. Big box full of coiled wire, 220v thingy-ma-jiga-ma-bob
76-914
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Nov 29 2013, 01:50 PM) *

QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Nov 29 2013, 04:33 PM) *

lol-2.gif av-943.gif
Missed that! huh.gif
In Canada we'd still be in T-shirts! w00t.gif

dry.gif rolleyes.gif

He's not shitting. I lived in Minneapolis once and as soon as it hit 40F those guys were out in F'n T Shirts. Seriously. Elyut, Get that 6 cyl warmed up and let them huddle around the cowling. av-943.gif Seriously, 50's aren't too low. Get a couple of cheap fire pits at WalMart and place them right outside the doors. People can warm up as necessary and your insurance agent or the airport manager won't shoot you on site.Better yet, people leave when you let the fire die down. Drunks sober up quickly in the cold. happy11.gif
euro911
The parabolic heaters that attach to propane bottles are fine. I bought a couple at Big-5. IIRC, they were about $30 each (not including the propane bottles). In California, they have to meet an emission standard for CO output, so the ones they sell here are considered 'safe' for indoor use.

Neat claymore ... comes with a key fob remote trigger too, eh?

I'm surprised that the airfield doesn't have mag contacts on the doors going to a central office alarm board - like they have in standard storage facilities confused24.gif

An inexpensive simple system with a loud siren or bell would have scared the thieves off before they absconded with your stuff.

Call me to discuss some simple options call me.gif
euro911
Just saw this for $160.

Click to view attachment

Max BTU Output: 75,000
Heating Area (Sq.FT): 1,750
Fuel Tank Capacity (Gal): 5
Fuel Consumption (Gal/Hr): 0.5
Max Run Time (Hrs): 9

Heated Output Volume (CFM): 265
Max Air Outlet Temp (F): 700
Motor Rating (HP): 1/8
Electrical Power (VAC / Hz / Amps): 120 V / 60 Hz / 1.6 A
Packaged Weight (lbs): 31.3
Assembled Weight (lbs): 26.9
Multi-Fuel Operation: Yes (K-1 Kerosene, #1 Fuel Oil or # 1 Diesel)
Motor Cerification: UL Listed
Heater Certification: CSA - ANSI
stugray

Mine was set aside in the garage for a day or so.
Someone bumped into it an knocked the heater module so the threads loosened. it leaked propane in the garage even though it was not "ON".

It was pure luck that I was the first person to open the interior door to the garage and NOT immediately punch the garagedoor opener button. I went around the house and opened the side door instead.
Dr Evil
Just bought this for my shop, 200,000 BTU and heats 5000sf:
http://www.homedepot.com/p/ProCom-200-000-...er#.UpwuteJPlOU
budk
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Dec 2 2013, 01:55 AM) *

What size tank are you going to use and what is your expectation of how long it will run?
The specs state a fuel tank size of 40gal and a run time of 11hrs. A 40 gal tank is really big, unless they mean 40lb, which is still a pretty big tank.
CptTripps

+1 for both of these comments. I had one of the radiant heat propane things...and almost burned down my garage.
Elliot Cannon
You will all love this one. After breaking into my hangar and making off with some of my stuff, the thief also took a bottle of Firestone 805 beer from my mini-fridge. He/they then broke into my neighbors hangar and left the empty bottle on his work bench. The cops knew that the bottle belonged to me and dusted it for fingerprints and got "good results". How poetic would it be if this moron gets busted because of finger prints on a bottle of beer he stole from me. To be continued....
euro911
Great. Hope they find the slug(s) ... and your stuff popcorn[1].gif
r_towle
QUOTE(Elliot Cannon @ Dec 3 2013, 12:29 AM) *

You will all love this one. After breaking into my hangar and making off with some of my stuff, the thief also took a bottle of Firestone 805 beer from my mini-fridge. He/they then broke into my neighbors hangar and left the empty bottle on his work bench. The cops knew that the bottle belonged to me and dusted it for fingerprints and got "good results". How poetic would it be if this moron gets busted because of finger prints on a bottle of beer he stole from me. To be continued....

poetic justice.
DBCooper
Still lost a good beer. Those BASTARDS.
rohar
QUOTE(Elliot Cannon @ Dec 2 2013, 09:29 PM) *

Sometimes, you take a good bounce.

About 2 years ago, some jackhole broke into my truck and stole some little stuff. Nothing I cared about. But he decided he was gonna hijack the ignition and busted the column up pretty good. About $1000 in damage total. After I got off the phone with the cops to make a report, I was told that about 10 cars in the neighborhood were hit that night.

Well hell, tough morning, time to go figure out what he got away with. Wait, what's this? I don't own this cell phone! Slipped the little bugger in a zip lock bag without touching it and dropped it off with the sherrif. Turns out it was his. Game over in 24 hours.
76-914
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Dec 1 2013, 10:55 PM) *

+1 here. I couldn't fine a better deal so I ordered one, also. How's your's work, Mike. I'll convert mine to nat gas as soon as I get it. Thx for the tip, Doc.
euro911
Not a bad deal idea.gif
Dr Evil
QUOTE(budk @ Dec 2 2013, 08:06 AM) *

QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Dec 2 2013, 01:55 AM) *

What size tank are you going to use and what is your expectation of how long it will run?
The specs state a fuel tank size of 40gal and a run time of 11hrs. A 40 gal tank is really big, unless they mean 40lb, which is still a pretty big tank.

Gonna hook it up to the house line wink.gif

Also, that is 11 hrs at full blast, no?
Dr Evil
QUOTE(76-914 @ Dec 4 2013, 11:24 AM) *

QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Dec 1 2013, 10:55 PM) *

+1 here. I couldn't fine a better deal so I ordered one, also. How's your's work, Mike. I'll convert mine to nat gas as soon as I get it. Thx for the tip, Doc.

Still waiting for it to be marked as shipped dry.gif
r_towle
I have a few propane heaters in the shop.
I found last year when I used them in a tight room, with few air leaks, I would need to open the door every so often the get in new oxygen and let out the C02.

It was not pleasant, a headache of sorts.

The kerosene one give a headache, but it produces so much heat you can turn it off once in a while.

Just keep that in mind as you start using it, the C02 will get to you...

I still use them, but in the open shop more than the tight space....
Works totally fine in the leaky open shop.

rich
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.