Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rare 914-6 GT on Pelican
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
SirAndy
Seen the car in person many times ... smile.gif
Cap'n Krusty
How did they ever get that car federalized? The headlights are WAY too low to meet the specs.

The Cap'n
ConeDodger
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Nov 30 2013, 03:29 PM) *

How did they ever get that car federalized? The headlights are WAY too low to meet the specs.

The Cap'n

I'm guessing they brought it in in the 1970's. You could bring one car in in your lifetime without Federalizing. At least in the military back then.
Maltese Falcon
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Nov 30 2013, 03:29 PM) *

The Cap'n

Good question on the non D.O.T. headlights. In 1976, I asked the salesman on the BH Porsche+Audi lot about the headlights on this 914 and a few other questions. He was a real tool and remarked that he was a 914 guru, and that my questions were wasting his time . Talk about a bad sales week! Ron and Barbara Webb wound up buying it off the lot. The Webb's also had 914-4 over at Ak Miller's getting turbocharged. I was over at Ak's shop about once a week buying wastegates and things for our kits. This Glocker 914-6gt is a rare piece, now the story goes that it has a non matching engine, which may hinder a higher sales price.
Marty
r_towle
I would take the 250k for it.
Someone will need to invest a bunch of money to get it back to original, them the value will (may) go higher, but not as it stands today...
gothspeed
QUOTE(r_towle @ Nov 30 2013, 05:01 PM) *

I would take the 250k for it.
Someone will need to invest a bunch of money to get it back to original, them the value will (may) go higher, but not as it stands today...

+1 ...... I don't think there are that many buyers left who would be willing to shell out that kind of money for it. People who really loved these things are getting older and sadly dying off. Not to mention one would have to spend significantly more effort and jump through who knows how many hoops in the hope to get more. And if one auctions it, the auction house would get a good size chunk right off the top. If it were my car and I were selling it .... 250k is a good offer to consider. popcorn[1].gif
Eric_Shea
I knew about it when it was in storage here. Wish I could have gotten it back then.
krazykonrad
Is it a 6 or a 6 GT? I don't see any flares on it early pics.

Konrad
SirAndy
QUOTE(krazykonrad @ Dec 1 2013, 06:44 PM) *
Is it a 6 or a 6 GT? I don't see any flares on it early pics.

It's on the Porsche supplied list of GTs.
However, it was not factory raced, it was build for a dealer.

Those "earlier" pics in the thread is just someone who has nothing to do with the car posting unrelated images of a completely different car.
dry.gif

IPB Image
EdwardBlume
That thing is bad ass.

CA DOT or not.
larryM
looks like Greg Fullmer's car

green porsche

I've driven it with it's 2.7 - it's FAST!

If some guy will pay $250K real money as is - it is worth it to that guy

why care about "restoration to originality" issues like an oem 110hp motor, pop-up lights and flat sides - ?? - it is original as a Glockler - and quite special

- just sell it smile.gif

(p.s. - my car escaped full federalization too - back in 1976 it was grey-market imported - took me a year to get DOT to sign off, but never went thru EPA testing)
sixnotfour
I agree with Sir Andy
It was built by Porsche for a customer as a GT..then modified by Glocker for a client..
Larry's bros 914 was built by a mechanic using factory GT pieces. back in the day.
Mine was built in the 80's-90's using factory parts..
sixnotfour
The original color was canary yellow.
It's a factory built custom race car for MAHAG, a german car dealer.

The car in question(9140431258) has been active in PCA and POC auto crossing and time triling since 1976. It was owned by Ron And Barbara Webb from 76 until 01. They, my wife and I towed together and raced for many years. They and it then retired to Utah. The pictures on STAZAK's sight were taken there when it had been sitting in a garage for 4 years after Ron's death. It was verrry dirty but no rust.
It will receive PCA Zone 8, 1st place trophies for concourse, time trile and Auto-crossing for last year. Enough of concouring and racing at the same time.
The tail was something Ron tried and I have left it as he had it, although it slows it down at the California Speedway and other long tracks. I may have to remedy that. I have the original deck lid.

"Sold 24/07/70 (July 24th 1970) by the Germen dealer MAHAG where it was service through 1971. It was imported to the USA in 1972 and was at the Wester Porsche/ Audi Dealership in Monterey Ca.
Dr. Marvin Taves of Reno Nv. owned and raced the car until it showed up for sale on consignment at Beverly Hills Porsche in 1977.
Ron & Barbara Webb purchased it at that time and successfully time triled and auto crossed it with PCA & POC for many years until retiring to Richfield Utah in 1992. Upon Ronís death in 98 it was stored until I aquired it November 2002.
The headlight treatment is thought to have been done by the German stylist Glocker. A similar work, with picture, is attributed to him in the book ìDas Grosse VW-Porsche Buchî.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.