Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Thoughts on shocks
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Bulldog9
I have an opportunity to get some original NOS Kontrolles shocks front and rear for my 912E, but not sure if I am better off going with a new set of Sachs/Bogue. Would obviousl love Bilisteins, but now that I have to definitely replace the fuel tank, I'm going to try to save some $$... I could get all 4 NOS Kontrolles for about $290, all 4 Sachs/Bogue $370... Bilisteins/Koni $550+.

Is a great deal on the NOS stuff, but I am thinking that there has been some progress in shock design since 1970's and am better off with the modern. Thoughts?
hot_shoe914
QUOTE(Steve Pratel @ Nov 30 2013, 07:59 PM) *

I have an opportunity to get some original NOS Kontrolles shocks front and rear for my 912E, but not sure if I am better off going with a new set of Sachs/Bogue. Would obviousl love Bilisteins, but now that I have to definitely replace the fuel tank, I'm going to try to save some $$... I could get all 4 NOS Kontrolles for about $290, all 4 Sachs/Bogue $370... Bilisteins/Koni $550+.

Is a great deal on the NOS stuff, but I am thinking that there has been some progress in shock design since 1970's and am better off with the modern. Thoughts?

Biltsteins aren't as costly as you might think. Contact Eric Shea at PMB and get you a quote, you will be glad you did.

Shoe
beerchug.gif
partwerks
FWIW, after the stock shocks on the Jetta took a complete dump, I put on Bilstein's a what a improvement. I've had them on for about 8 years and still going strong......
Mike Bellis
I wonder how the seals in the NOS shocks are after all these years? idea.gif

Unless it is a concourse restoration, I would pass.
johannes
I agree. old shocks = garbage
porschefile2010
I just put in a full set of Sachs/Boge all round and it made a big difference but then it would as the old original set were shot. I also did the A arm bushes at the same time. The Sachs shocks feel just right and of course not having had the chance to run Bilsteins in the same car it's not possible to tell which would have been better.
Harpo
QUOTE(Mike Bellis @ Nov 30 2013, 08:19 PM) *

I wonder how the seals in the NOS shocks are after all these years? idea.gif

Unless it is a concourse restoration, I would pass.

agree.gif

Sometimes NOS is not a wise decision

David
wndsnd
I put a new set of Bilsteins on my 914 and I find them extremely stiff. In fact I have commented about them to other 914 owners. I have run new Koni's on my 356's and found them much more comfortable. I am an aggressive driver and like things tight but the Bilstein's surprised me.

I also agree NOS is great for trim and body but suspension and brakes you want new.

John
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.