Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Sorting things out
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
newdeal2
I got under the car and re adjusted the valves. I found one or two fairly tight exhaust valves [about .004 cold ] so I went through all of them and set them at .006/.008 per the "book". The engine jumped to life when I started it up and most of the choppieness is gone. I think it's a matter of some more tuning and things will be even better. I do get a slight drop off in the idle when I slow to a stop but it tends to rest at 800 +.

One thing about the rebuild. It's suddenly got a real grunt and I assume it's the Webcam/euro pistons that helped here. I moved to 1.8 liter SS HE's and Bursch road exhaust and it's a lot loader [a notch less than a Harley] than the 2.0 HE's w/Bursch.

Any opinions out there on this?

IPB Image IPB Image IPB Image IPB Image IPB Image IPB Image IPB Image IPB Image
mattillac
do you have fi or carbs? what year is your car?
Mueller
Not too sure why the exhaust would be "that" much louder if the same type muffler was used...the extra compression and tighter motor might have something to do with it since you are getting a better "burn"????

i think my header w/muffler is quieter than when I had heatexchangers and a bursch muffler IPB Image
newdeal2
74 2 liter D jet F1

Uprated oil pump, Euro Pistons[w/new matching cylinders], Webcam by Rabyand dual air intake. Everything else is stock rebuilt from the crank up.

My thought is the cam , with better lift/duration adds to the sound of the Bursch...just a guess.

Can one use the wrong exaust gaskets or do the 2.0 and 1.8 have a different bolt pattern? I don't have the old exchangers to compare.
Root_Werks
The 1.7,1.8 and 2.0 gaskets are the same at the heads.

Sounds like a cool ride! I have heard good things about the webcams. Congrats! Drive it like a Porsche! IPB Image
newdeal2
Understood...I am refering the the gaskets at the exhaust not the heads.
Root_Werks
Ah,,,,,,,,dang, you know, I "think" they are the same? At least up to 74'? My mind, I cannot remember. IPB Image
rhodyguy
the 2.0 h.e. to muffler gaskets are different than the others. they have a wider bolt pattern.

kevin
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.