Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Porsche 914 Racecar help
914World.com > The 914 Forums > The Paddock
truckiegreg
I recently bought a 914 race car roller and the seller didn't have much info on it. I though if I post a pic someone may have seen it or knew who the previous owner was. I'm hoping to also track down the logbook.The roll bar is covered in HSR stickers. Any info would be great... greghering@hotmail.com

Click to view attachment
carr914
That's a Car I have never seen - I would check with Speed Werks as their name is on the side of the car
carr914
AND welcome.png
SirAndy
QUOTE(carr914 @ Dec 1 2013, 03:19 PM) *
I would check with Speed Werks as their name is on the side of the car

As far as i know they're out of business. Their website now goes to a generic parked domain page.
sad.gif

PS: Oh, and welcome.png
jd74914
Welcome!

What's the deal with the bar from main to front hoop on the right side; it looks tweaked? Any more pictures?
brant
Interesting....

The car looks built for PCA club racing
A little bit too modified for a lot of vintage clubs.
Interesting that it has HSR tech stickers

You may want to go through some of the PCA Results to track down the previous owner
dlestep
http://www.racingjunk.com/Vintage/18199829...ce-chassis.html
notice the website gives phone number of seller
location is Greensboro, N.C.
You may want to contact Black Forest Racing (John Forbes).
Maybe someone there may know of the history.
nolift914
welcome.png
truckiegreg
I bought the car from a guy named Jonathan and his email was with renngruppe on it. He just didn't have much info. I contacted HSR and they are checking into it to.the top bars both have a bend in them. The car was deff built by someone who cared about it. Thanks for your help guys
brant
the gt5s sticker is an old pca class
pca has results online for all of their races
krazykonrad
The four-bolt hubs most likely mean it started out life as a 4 cyl. Is the ignition on the steering column or to the left of it?

Konrad welcome.png
SirAndy
QUOTE(krazykonrad @ Dec 6 2013, 03:56 PM) *
The four-bolt hubs most likely mean it started out life as a 4 cyl. Is the ignition on the steering column or to the left of it?

No holes for a factory oil tank, so no, it is not a original /6 ...
shades.gif
truckiegreg
I believe it was a 4 to start because of the 4 bolt hubs. Being a race car all the interior has been taken out.I got a bunch of 6 parts with it but Its going to be a F prod 4 for scca. The Trans that came with it is a good race 901 with a quaife diff. Its worth what I paid for the car. Hope someone out there has info would love to track down old owner to find a old log book and find some older pics.. The car was deff a different color because when I was stripping the cage there is bright silver paint under the machine grey paint...thanks again all you guys I will post more pics of the progress
brant
I'm not sure the SCCA will allow those fenders in F production
Chris will know for sure

and I'm not sure about the bumpers either?
you may know more about it than I do
but the scca was always pretty strict about panels being removed and tube framing. Part of the reason I'm sure that car was built for PCA club racing

our vintage club works off of SCCA production rules (old ones) and we had a applicant requesting to come in with a chalon body and denied because it wasn't factory body shape/style

what motor mount is installed...
it could be that the previous owner pulled the front and rear suspension while they were gutting things and just bolted old stock stuff on?
the rotors look pretty stock and rusty compaired to the rest of the chassis
truckiegreg
Thats a good thought about the suspension swap. Didn't think of that. Im going to contact our local Scca tech guy and see what he thinks about the body. I sure I can find somewhere to Run it..seem like all car clubs want is our money and wont turn a well prepped car down $$
truckiegreg
Got me thinking the best thing to do if sell off roller and finish off other projects.
brant
there are great racing places for that car
and those fender flares are -6cylinder GT style
(or 916 like the bumper)
a great car to drop a -6 into

the GT5 class in PCA (or any of the power to weight classes in pca gt) is a great place too. Although their new classification rules make motors pricey for small discplacement air cooled stuff....

the 4cylinder baseline is 90horse power per a liter
and the 6 cylinder is 110hp per a litter

PCA club racing

its way too clean of a start to give up on

truckiegreg
I agree to good to give up on. I have a few ideas and need to do a bit more research but will be a good car for sure.thanks again for the help
Racing916
You might want to reach out to Andy McNeil. I believe he or his father use to own speedwerks and he raced a 914 built there. I don't have his number but I did find him on face book. Maybe you could send him a message with the car pictures.
https://www.facebook.com/andy.mcneil.5
It is a long shot but you never know. There use to be a GT5 pca race car that looked like that but the bottom was green and yellow with the BP sponsor stickers on it. It also raced out of speedwerks.

Steve
vitis
QUOTE(Racing916 @ Dec 11 2013, 03:43 PM) *

You might want to reach out to Andy McNeil. I believe he or his father use to own speedwerks and he raced a 914 built there. I don't have his number but I did find him on face book. Maybe you could send him a message with the car pictures.
It is a long shot but you never know. There use to be a GT5 pca race car that looked like that but the bottom was green and yellow with the BP sponsor stickers on it. It also raced out of speedwerks.

Steve

I don't know where Chris is but we have been in SCCA F prod for a few years. The fender flares would be fine for SCCA. The only obvious issues look like the rear floor has been removed and that would need to be replaced. I had a gearbox built by Speedwerks a few years ago and I don't remember seeing this car in the garage. May have been that I overlooked it but usually I pay attention to the 914s. Does this car have camber boxes? I did see a 914 at Speedwerks that used monoballs and I guess they could have painted it

Milt McPherson
Vysoc
QUOTE(Racing916 @ Dec 11 2013, 03:43 PM) *

Steve

I have several pictures of the Green/White/Yellow BP sponsored 914 that I took at Sebring HSR race in 2008 or 2009 I will look for them tomorrow.

Vysoc flag.gif
jdahl
You might want to check out NASA GTS. Classifications are based on power to weight, everything else is essentially open. There's a decent contingent of GTS racers in the Mid-West & Great Lakes Regions.

Looks like you have a solid platform, good luck with it.

Josh
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.