Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: License plate illumination
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
malcolm2
I have removed the BUBS on my 75 and installed 73 painted black. I know I took the LP lights off of the BUB, but who knows where they are and I don't think they are a match for the early bumpers.

What do folks do? This seems like an item I could go to a trailer store for. Or are the OEM lights out there? They look like they were attached with sheet metal screws to the underside of the rear bumper top.

Thanks.
MartyYeoman
Never seen them at the hardware store before.
Poke around and you'll find some originals to use.
Marty
nathansnathan
It took me a few months to find 2 decent early rear license plate lights. When you search for them, you will come up with a lot of trunk lights because 911's used them(?) for the licence plate and people get confused and label them wrong. You often see them still attached to whole rear bumpers with the pad for sale just as a bumper. I paid like $35 a piece for mine average. I've seen them for way more, though.

IPB Image
malcolm2
QUOTE(nathansnathan @ Dec 3 2013, 02:56 PM) *

It took me a few months to find 2 decent early rear license plate lights. When you search for them, you will come up with a lot of trunk lights because 911's used them(?) for the licence plate and people get confused and label them wrong. You often see them still attached to whole rear bumpers with the pad for sale just as a bumper. I paid like $35 a piece for mine average. I've seen them for way more, though.

IPB Image

thanks for the picture. I'll do some searching. Might go the trailer store route too. Just so I can get my plate lit up. $70 wow. blink.gif

Might be $10 at BJ's Trailers. Sorry, private joke I guess. Not enough folks from Nashville on here to get it. av-943.gif

Clark
Steve
For my GT bumpers I just bought a lit license plate frame at my local flaps store.
Mike Bellis
Here?

Bowlsby.net

Click to view attachment
dlestep
Last year, I found a different source for license plate illumination. I plan to use
them (2x) on my Ghia.
They are license plate bolts that have a LED in the head of the bolt and a little
cut on the side of it exposing the LED to illuminate the plate.
I didn't want to run a license plate frame, nor the original license plate housing
on the Ghia.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/300442806023?lpid=82
andys
I used a LED from Pep Boys that mounts to the license plate screws. Easy to install; no hassle.

http://www.pepboys.com/product/details/999...808/?quantity=1

Andys
malcolm2
QUOTE(andys @ Dec 4 2013, 10:43 AM) *

I used a LED from Pep Boys that mounts to the license plate screws. Easy to install; no hassle.

http://www.pepboys.com/product/details/999...808/?quantity=1

Andys

Very cool option. Pep Boys is close to where I am going tonight. They are not close to home so I never use them, or think they will have anything different than the stores on my side of town. My loss I guess.

I just bought one and they have "pick-up at store" option. I'll try it and then try the bolt light if I am not satisfied. And then the trailer store then the dreaded OEM $75 ones. lol-2.gif

Thanks for the suggestions

EDIT: I checked amazon about this one. Reviewers say that this one does not last. Made of plastic and they were only $12 on Amazon vs. $19 with tax and a 30 minute drive. But I will have the thing and save the receipt! It gets water inside.... Hey I am not going to drive in the rain anyway, right?
malcolm2
It ain't pretty, but it is very functional. Had to use a couple washers since my stash of short sheet metal screws had small heads. I think I will work on an improvement one day. But this gets the tag out of the back window.... no light there. lol-2.gif

Click to view attachment

And one with the light on. I guess I am legal. Although in TN you are not supposed to have anything covering any part of the plate. IF they wanted to they could ticket you for a LP frame. So this light fails that test. I think it shines out and back too much.

IMO the LP bracket on these cars is a poor design, maybe even something that is not needed on the cars up thru 74. Just 4 holes in the bumper for some plastic anchors would be prefect. That is how the frame is mounted.

Click to view attachment
malcolm2
I also have an 85 vw cabriolet. I peaked at the LP lights. They really do look to be a perfect match. Next time is see a VW MK1 in the JY I am snagging the LP lights.
sfrenck
QUOTE(dlestep @ Dec 4 2013, 11:28 AM) *

Last year, I found a different source for license plate illumination. I plan to use
them (2x) on my Ghia.
They are license plate bolts that have a LED in the head of the bolt and a little
I didn't want to run a license plate frame, nor the original license plate housing
on the Ghia.

I used these for a bit until I found the correct ones. They also can be purchased at PepBoys
malcolm2
QUOTE(sfrenck @ Dec 6 2013, 06:09 AM) *

them (2x) on my Ghia.
on the Ghia.

I used these for a bit until I found the correct ones. They also can be purchased at PepBoys

Do you have the "H" bracket for the license plate? How do these LED bolt lights fit? Seems to me that the threaded bolt is too long. And the plate mounting holes in the "H" shaped LP bracket are very small. I had to use sheet metal screws, very short ones. The bracket is pretty tight to the bumper.

I think I am using the "H" bracket from my 75 bumper. Are the early brackets different?
sfrenck
QUOTE(malcolm2 @ Dec 6 2013, 09:25 AM) *

QUOTE(sfrenck @ Dec 6 2013, 06:09 AM) *

them (2x) on my Ghia.
on the Ghia.

Do you have the "H" bracket for the license plate? How do these LED bolt lights fit? Seems to me that the threaded bolt is too long. And the plate mounting holes in the "H" shaped LP bracket are very small. I had to use sheet metal screws, very short ones. The bracket is pretty tight to the bumper.

I think I am using the "H" bracket from my 75 bumper. Are the early brackets different?

I installed the bolt lights recessed up in the bumper cover where the stock lights are supposed to be installed. They slip through the bumper light wire gromment and the nuts get put on in the trunk.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.