Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Need some measurements help
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
HereJohnny
Hello, new to the forum. Restoring a 1970 1.7. I'm pleased to say that I have the original owners manual and maintenance book. The original owner resided in Fullerton CA. It is Red Metallic, faded to a dark brown and suffering from someone's bad impression of body work.

It received some front end damage and had terrible body work done to the passenger side front.

The body is in perfect condition except for some front end damage, which was exacerbated by someone trying to pry the hood lid off. Everything is stripped off of the car and is waiting for a soda blast.

I have enclosed a photo. In the photo are white lines where I would appreciate some comparative measurements. I need to know ideally how far the front of the hood is from the sheet metal and the measurements of the headlight boxes. On my 914, one side of the front panel (that the bumper bolts on to) is closer to the rest of the car than the other. The side that had the bad repairs is longer!

Here is what I know:

Measuring from the strut top to the front sheet metal is about 1/4" inch to 3/8" off. I realize struts can be a bit different so I also measured from the trunk divider. It's consistently off.

What is the typical gap between the panel with the windshield panel and the hood when closed?

What are the measurements of the headlight enclosures at the top (without the gaskets)?

Are there any other measurements that I can use that you can suggest?

It appears that I have to relieve the welds on the front panel on the passenger side and bring things out a bit. Of course, I also have to flatten out the windshield wiper panel as well. These, some smoothing and fill, and a bit of soda blasting is all that's standing in the way of this car and some paint.

The car was running when I started stripping it. It drove straight but I know that doesn't mean anything with front end damage.

Click to view attachment
rick 918-S
welcome.png

Here's a link to the chassis stuff here on this site. 914 Info link at the top of the page.

http://www.914world.com/specs/914info.php

EDIT: BTW: The wiper panel kind of looks like it was damaged by the hinge. Maybe the hood flew up once.
HereJohnny
Thanks. The measurements helped.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.