Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Help w/Attachments
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
martinef1963
Been trying to post pixs of my 914 and keep getting an error message, "can't upload this type of file." ????? IPB Image

I've changed the view to explorer from another veiwer - any suggestions? It's a jpg file format.

thanks,
aircooledboy
It is likely due to the file size being too big. You need to resize the picture so that it is in the 600x800 range, which will give you a file size of about 40kb. Anything bigger, and the system won't take it. IPB Image
J P Stein
When you upload, do not "preview post"....just click "add reply".
martinef1963
IPB Image IPB Image It still doesn't work????? IPB Image IPB Image
Sammy
Are the files JPEG (.jpg)?
SirAndy
QUOTE (Sammy @ Dec 28 2004, 11:04 AM)
Are the files JPEG (.jpg)?

IPB Image

extension is important. ".jpg" ...

also, total filesize can not exceed 300k (which is HUGE for a jpg anyways, they should be more in the 20k-40k range).
don't preview your posts.

that should do it ...
IPB Image Andy
martinef1963
Yes they are JPG format and I've dropped the size down to 600X800??? I still can't get them to post IPB Image

what next?
SirAndy
QUOTE (martinef1963 @ Dec 28 2004, 02:14 PM)
Yes they are JPG format and I've dropped the size down to 600X800???  I still can't get them to post   IPB Image

what's the file size?
what compression level did you use? how many dpi? all this will effect the file size.

do the files have the .JPG extension?

email the pictures to admin@914world.com and i will have a look at them ...
IPB Image Andy
DJsRepS
I set my camera to a lower resoulution 640x480=not even an equal to a cheap 1 megipixle camera. But it loads the pic every time. A 3 to 5 megipixel camera would have way to many bites to send. If only hi res pics are availble then use photo suit software to compress the image or down size the area like 4x6in instead of 10x14..... the low res pic at 640x480 sample pic below. Do you like the yellow gas lines and the brass freon port on the manifold. I check my gas pressure with an old set of freon gauges.
TheCabinetmaker
Hey DJ, post a different pic sometime and get rid of those clamps on that fuel line!!!!!!
Mark Henry
Most likely you have dial-up....as of late I can only post about a 10-15K pic without getting a time out.

I have some good stuff, but I don't bother anymore.
SirAndy
ok, he send me the pictures in an email and here's what i found,
everyone with similar problems, please read carefully:

============== snip snip snip ===============
they're all way too big, filesize wise! between 400k and 500k each!

the size limit for the BBS is 300k. as i said in my post, a usual
JPG size is about 40k in size, yours are all 10 times bigger!

you had the picture size at 1600 x 1200 ...

i resized them to 640 x 480 @ 72 dpi and now the individual size is
down to about 40k - 50k ...
============== snip snip snip ===============

bottomline, resize your pictures correctly!
IPB Image Andy
SirAndy
and here are the pics:
SirAndy
dfssadf
SirAndy
zxvcxzcv
SirAndy
wertertert
SirAndy
vbnmvbnmnbm
SirAndy
hjkljhkljkljkl
Mark Henry
The main pic I was trying to post was a tad big...about 80K...400X600

I resize all my pics in photoshop, the pic lost all detail if I made the file size smaller.
Doesn't matter...it was a couple of weeks ago and I forget what I was even trying to post. IPB Image

Again my problem is a 30sec time-out error....
SirAndy
QUOTE (Mark Henry @ Dec 29 2004, 12:00 PM)
the pic lost all detail if I made the file size smaller.

it shouldn't!!!

if you use photoshop, make sure the original pic is *NOT* in 256 color mode (indexed color) !!!
if so (like if your original was a GIF), you need to convert the image to RGB first (menu: image/mode/rgb color) *before* you resize it.

640 x 480 and 72 dpi should be <50k as a JPG with medium (5) compression ...

if you want even less size, try to blur the image a bit before you save, that'll help the JPG algorythm to compress it more.
in any case, you should not lose any significant detail in the picture ...

IPB Image Andy
Rhodes71/914
Some reference for others with dial-up:
I have done a fair amount of trial and error checking on file size for upload using dial-up. My Speed is usually around 45000bps. I can upload pics that are under 100K, under 80K will load everytime, more than that and it takes a few times.

I have a 5 megapixel camera and set it to the second lowest resolution and then make the pic even smaller in iphoto. 400x300 is the easiest size to post for me.

But hey you never have to scroll back and forth on the page to read my post or see my pics. IPB Image
Mark Henry
QUOTE (Rhodes71/914 @ Dec 29 2004, 05:14 PM)
Some reference for others with dial-up:....

My Speed is usually around 45000bps.

My best speed ever was 24000bps....around 21000bps is about the norm IPB Image

That's what I have to live with out here in the sticks.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.