Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Bad weather here
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
skline
Living in California we usually have nice weather. Going places is not bad if you can get through all the traffic. But when it rains even a little, people drive really stupid and crash into anything and everything. The weather today is the worst I have seen in California in a long time, it sounded like hurricane winds in my bedroom this morning so I looked out the window and saw a 60 foot palm tree almost on its side. I decided that I wasnt going to go anywhere today. So being self employed does have some benefits. So I will be answering the phone today and telling my clients the "Due to inclement weather, Creative IT Solutions is closed today, please check back with us tomorrow" Thank you very much and have a nice day.

I will be in the garage working on my car with the door shut and the music cranked up
aircooledboy
IPB Image

A silver lining if I ever heard one. Now get those wheels to turn. IPB Image
Allan
We had the winds yesterday. Blew in all the dirt from the surrounding areas. IPB Image This morning the winds are calm but the rain is here.
Joe Bob
My new roof is leaking, three inches from my head in my bedroom....lost 30 feet of fence, two 20 year old Bouganvillas, and a ton of debris blown about.

The 101 fwy is completely closed to the North of us due to a mudslide on both sides of the Gaviota tunnel.....news says there are a few trapped cars.....we are doing better than the Orient....but it still sucks.
Root_Werks
It's all a matter of ones perspective. IPB Image
Howard
Great day to be in the insurance business in SoCal IPB Image

One of these days it will really snow here and we'll solve that pesky population problem. IPB Image
Joe Bob
Bet we will have a LARGE contingent of CA posters today.....

Hey Howie...get my check for WCC? How many are signed up so far?
Howard
QUOTE (mikez @ Dec 28 2004, 08:37 AM)

Hey Howie...get my check for WCC? How many are signed up so far?

It's here, Mikey, only about half a dozen so far. Sure hope they're booking their rooms!
RonD
Well here in Colorado it's a beautiful clear, dry 50+ degrees.

Replaced the master cylinder this weekend. So I'm driving this week.

Got to enjoy it while you can.
Aaron Cox
Pouring here IPB Image

i already finished my mahle clock, what else can i do in the rain???
skline
QUOTE (Howard @ Dec 28 2004, 08:40 AM)
QUOTE (mikez @ Dec 28 2004, 08:37 AM)

Hey Howie...get my check for WCC?  How many are signed up so far?

It's here, Mikey, only about half a dozen so far. Sure hope they're booking their rooms!

I booked my room already, I did it the day I sent in the registration to you.
SLITS
Wimps, one and all......drove 1 1/2 hours in the snow...now gonna drive the Semi in the rain......wusses, wimps, no guts....no glory.

Scott, if you want that rear caliper..you've got to send an address, cause I ain't gonna deliver it with all this inclement weather IPB Image
Aaron Cox
QUOTE (SLITS @ Dec 28 2004, 09:47 AM)
Wimps, one and all......drove 1 1/2 hours in the snow...now gonna drive the Semi in the rain......wusses, wimps, no guts....no glory.

Scott, if you want that rear caliper..you've got to send an address, cause I ain't gonna deliver it with all this inclement weather IPB Image

brando and i stopped by Precision Motion to pick it up from you.....guys were all ready gone IPB Image
Jeff Bonanno
ya pouirin down here too. scott - my company is on vacation and guess who is the only a-hole in the entire company in his office?

i was hoping for a bit of sun during the time off to finish...you guessed it, a drainage line! the new gutters are, as we speak, dumping copious agua into a 30 ft ditch with no outlet IPB Image
Joe Bob
Howie....so was I #2? That's what my old daddy used to say all the time.... IPB Image

I don't need a room as I live close to all the venues or have a mom in law that still talks to me....

Hey SLITS....I'm at work...the only one in my section that made it..... IPB Image

Be carefull out there
SLITS
QUOTE (Aaron Cox @ Dec 28 2004, 09:48 AM)
brando and i stopped by Precision Motion to pick it up from you.....guys were all ready gone IPB Image

Hey, to catch me ya gotta be fast....I called Brando and he was on his way to Caljackoff or whatever that shitty place is....Now as soon as I mount my laptop with mobile wireless in the teener I will answser your emails A-a-ron Admin.
ClayPerrine
Wussies.....

To mis-quote the govenator..... You are a bunch of girly-men. We had temps in the single digits and snow last week, and I still went to work... in a 914 with no heat!

A hard rain is not "inclement weather"....
Aaron Cox
socal soccermoms dont know how to drive with the water on the roads......
Joe Bob
It's the wind coupled with the rain.....when that is together we get mudlsides....hard to get to work when the fargin roads are impassable....
d7n7master
CA. DRIZZLE WATCH - 2004 - Ahhhhh!!! CALI'S CAN'T DRIVE IN THE RAIN!!! GRAPHIC FILM @11 IPB Image
GET OVER IT. GRAB YOUR SKIS/BOARDZ - GET TO BIG BEAR. IT'S KICKIN'!!!
IPB Image
Trekkor
It's clearing up here. IPB Image

I'm going in... IPB Image

KT
Howard
QUOTE (mikez @ Dec 28 2004, 08:51 AM)
Howie....so was I #2? That's what my old daddy used to say all the time.... IPB Image

Yup, kinda like Tampax! Not #1, but you're up there!
skline
Its not the weather keeping me from going out driving, its the other drivers. Any rain at all and they think its bumper cars. I lived in the snow for a few years and had a blast in it, I can drive in any kind of weather. But when you add California drivers to the mix, it is an accident looking for a place to happen. And its not if, its when and where. Trust me, the people out there are stupid. Maybe not low intelelligence, but when it rains and winds blow, they get distracted and dont see where they are going or what they are doing. I find it much safer to just stay home. besides, I can do that. I own the company. IPB Image
ClayPerrine
QUOTE (Aaron Cox @ Dec 28 2004, 11:07 AM)

You have the soccer moms.... we have "Rednecks on Ice". Which is worse?

A soccer mom that drives slow because it's raining, or a Redneck in a Huge Duallie with a steel push bumper doing 70 on ice because "I got a 4x4, so I can drive anywhere at any speed at any time."

It just amuses the crap out of me that the PRC closes down when it rains........
Aaron Cox
QUOTE (ClayPerrine @ Dec 28 2004, 10:20 AM)

A soccer mom that drives slow because it's raining, or a Redneck in a Huge Duallie with a steel push bumper doing 70 on ice because "I got a 4x4, so I can drive anywhere at any speed at any time."

It just amuses the crap out of me that the PRC closes down when it rains........

wrong....

soccer mom on cell phone, with screaming kids in the back using 1% of her brain to focus on the road...

That Is WORSE IPB Image
Meredith
QUOTE (ClayPerrine @ Dec 28 2004, 09:06 AM)
Wussies.....

To mis-quote the govenator..... You are a bunch of girly-men. We had temps in the single digits and snow last week, and I still went to work... in a 914 with no heat!

I'd rather be a wuss than live in a place like that!

We had a couple inches of rain yesterday. Still cloudy today, but not bad enough to keep the construction workers down the street from waking me up early this morning.
Steve
Unless you live in So. Cal. you will never understand.
Everytime it rains I can guarantee you will see upside down SUV's blocking lanes of the freeway and yuppy BMW's spun out on the side of the road.
I have driven in the snow and rain in New England and I have never seen as many accidents as I have seen here.
People drive to fast in the rain here because they are not used to it and like Scott said the soccer mom's in there SUV's are still driving with one hand on the wheel and one hand holding the cell phone.
maf914
QUOTE (Aaron Cox @ Dec 28 2004, 09:23 AM)

wrong....

soccer mom on cell phone, with screaming kids in the back using 1% of her brain to focus on the road...

That Is WORSE IPB Image

Don't get me started on the woman with the cell phone and load of kids, oblivious to traffic around her, driving the Suburban slowly in the left lane as everyone passed her on the right, then blindly changing lanes as I came around her almost crushing my Nissan pickup in the process. She never responded to my horn, just kept coming! Just a typical morning drive to work. IPB Image

BTW, not meant to be a female bashing post as men on cell phones while driving display the same brain dead behavior.
skline
QUOTE (maf914 @ Dec 28 2004, 10:20 AM)
QUOTE (Aaron Cox @ Dec 28 2004, 09:23 AM)

wrong....

That Is WORSE IPB Image

Don't get me started on the woman with the cell phone and load of kids, oblivious to traffic around her, driving the Suburban slowly in the left lane as everyone passed her on the right, then blindly changing lanes as I came around her almost crushing my Nissan pickup in the process. She never responded to my horn, just kept coming! Just a typical morning drive to work. IPB Image

BTW, not meant to be a female bashing post as men on cell phones while driving display the same brain dead behavior.

I agree 100%, I see it everyday. The funny thing is, most of them are the yuppie type driving Porsches or BMWs, or Mercedes sedans. They think they are above us all. MORONS!!!
Zeke
QUOTE (ClayPerrine @ Dec 28 2004, 09:06 AM)
Wussies.....

A hard rain is not "inclement weather"....

It is when you have SoCal commuters on the road. A ot of times it's months before a rain. The amount of oil and rubber dust built up on the surface creates some wicked conditions for the first few down the road.

I stay home too.....
SLITS
QUOTE (d7n7master @ Dec 28 2004, 10:12 AM)
CA. DRIZZLE WATCH - 2004 - Ahhhhh!!! CALI'S CAN'T DRIVE IN THE RAIN!!! GRAPHIC FILM @11 IPB Image
GET OVER IT. GRAB YOUR SKIS/BOARDZ - GET TO BIG BEAR. IT'S KICKIN'!!!
IPB Image

Stay away from Big Bear...that's where I live and I'm tired of the effin' stop and go traffic up and down the hill 'cause people are stupid where they park or have an enormous SUV and can't drive for shit and.............................,
seanery
Steve's right.
If you've never lived there you won't get it.
I used to see the craziest stuff on dry days,
people eating cereal, etc...on rainy days, people freak out....
you get the 20mph drivers who think it's total black ice
vs. the I can drive as fast as I want because I'm cool drivers.

When I first went out there in 97 I was amazed how many
folks called in sick when it rained. After that you just got used to it.
boxstr
Well another dry sunny day here in the pacific northwest. Getting tired of all this sunshine. Wheres the rain????
I love it in Palm Desert when it drizzles. The TV lights up with road warnings, don't drive near the curb, flash floods are eminent, airport closes down. IPB Image
CCLINH20ONTERRAFIRMA
Allan
From 1985 through 1986 I rode a M/C an hour each way from Long Beach to El Segundo to and from work during both summer and winter. Never missed a day. The closest I ever came to having an accident was clipping a rear view mirror on the way home. Almost broke my hand but I agree that, people in So. Cal. (Not so much up North) do NOT know how to adapt. Too stuck in the "ME" thing that when something unusual crops up it's always the fault of someone or something else (current company excluded).
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.