Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Coil spring size
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Harpo
What size springs are recommended for a street car with occasional AX event? I have a four cylinder with a factory rear sway bar

Thanks

David
Dave_Darling
The springs only change the stiffness of the rear of the car. You want the front and rear stiffness to roughly match, so that one end of the car doesn't break loose well before the other.

A sway bar increases the roll stiffness of the end of the car it is installed on.

If you don't have a front sway bar, GET ONE. Only having the rear can result in a tail-happy car, which is fun at times but can also result in you leaving the corner looking back at where you came from. Not a good thing on the street, especially.

If the front torsion bars are stock, and the front sway bar is stock, I would go with 100 lb/in springs in the rear. And I might even consider unhooking the rear sway bar, depending on how the car drove. I might even consider lighter springs.

If you have non-stock torsion bars up front, then you can go stiffer on the rear. However, the ride will be noticeably harsher.

--DD
r_towle
QUOTE(Harpo @ Dec 4 2013, 10:01 AM) *

What size springs are recommended for a street car with occasional AX event? I have a four cylinder with a factory rear sway bar

Thanks

David

140 lbs
John
Hmm....

I currently have 350# rear springs in my street 914 (3.2)(21mm front bars) and don't feel that I have too harsh of a ride. The track car has 400# rear springs and it doesn't seem too stiff either (23mm front bars). However, the trailing arms/a-arms in both cars are very compliant. The elephant racing bushings make a big difference (and I have heard that the roller bearings work really well too).

You do need to match the front stiffness with the rear stiffness to in order to balance the car.

What torsion bars are you running? I don't believe you can still buy the tiny stock torsion bars new. I think most of what is sold are larger, stiffer bars.
Harpo
In the front I have a GPR sway bar that I believe is a Tarett Eng bar. I have 200 lb coil over springs as well

I have elephant racing poly bronze bushings in the rear and spherical bearings in the front.

Thanks

David
Krieger
I run 140# rear springs with Konis all the way around. No rear bar. 22mm weltmeister front sway bar. Stock front torsion bars. I run the front shocks 3/4 tightened. The rear shocks full soft. Killer combo when I autocross.
sgetsiv
I have a Tarret bar in front, adjustable Koni's all the way around. I have tried both 175# and 225# springs and I think the car handles better with the 225#'s. I would rather have the tail break lose than the front during AX. For the street the 175#'s are nicer. I keep the Koni's close to full soft
siverson
> street car with occasional AX event? I have a four cylinder

I think the softest #100 springs with a front sway bar (as suggested) works well here.

Bilsteins all around, 100# rear springs, stock torsion bars, small front sway bar = fun street 914 (IMO).

-Steve
Andyrew
Adjustable spring perches? I run 2.5 x 10" in 250lbs, but im running a v8.. You can get the springs at Jegs or Summit for ~ 80 a pair.

I run 10" because I have a heavier spring rate. But you still might want to go with 10" if you like to run your car low. But with this standard size you can run pretty much whatever spring rate you want and switch them out with ease. I used Coleman spring perches on my yellows (Did it a loooong time ago, had to have the ID hollowed out to fit the koni yellows)

Anyways, heres a link to them in 12", pretty sure you can figure out how to find 10"..
http://www.summitracing.com/search/departm...th-in/12-000-in

Eric_Shea
For your application, 140 progressives and a 19mm adjustable front bar set toward the soft end. You can always slide the the drop links in to ruin the ride. wink.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.