Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: New Porsches amazing
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Tom
The 2014 Turbo S sounds like a wonderful car to drive. I know I will never be able to afford one and don't know if I would get one if I could. I got into sports cars with a 914 in 1973 and grew to love the nimble handling and feed back from the road. It seems the trend is to isolate the driver from that early sports car feel. The Excellence article on the 2014 Turbo is definitely worth the cost of the magazine. David Donohue sure likes the S. I can't help wondering what happens when you are in that car going faster than you normally would because of all the driver help systems and suddenly one of them fails?
I can't help but wonder if something in the torque management system in Paul's Carrera GT failed.
Tom
JmuRiz
"I can't help but wonder if something in the torque management system in Paul's Carrera GT failed."

Sheesh, couldn't really fail if there was never a torque management system to begin with...
Ish happens...I'm going to wait for the police report to come out before trying to figure out what happened.

But back on topic, the new GT3 and Turbos (as well as all 'regular' Porsches and modern cars) are techno wiz-bang-amazing.
Woody
Nothing failed on the GT except the driver. As for the new turbos and GT3s. Ive driven a few of the Turbos and they are nothing short of amazing. The GT3s haven't made it to the dealership yet but I'm sure they will be even better.
McMark
It seems the trend is to isolate the driver from that early sports car feel.

I think it's more likely that these 'improvements' are meant to help a normal human try to deal with WAY too much power. A side effect is feeling isolated from the road. 560hp is SO much power for an everyday driver to deal with, and frankly, for them to understand. Most of us think about steering input and braking time, etc. But most people when faced with that much power think, "Look what I can do!" without regard to handling or braking. dry.gif

Someone once suggested to me that there should be a special class of drivers license for high power cars. More and more I feel like that would be a good thing. If you have to take special classes to drive a big rig, you should have to take special classes to drive a car like a Carrera GT. There is just so much room for error that anyone behind the wheel should have proven that they know what they are doing.
Woody
QUOTE(McMark @ Dec 4 2013, 02:40 PM) *

I think it's more likely that these 'improvements' are meant to help a normal human try to deal with WAY too much power. A side effect is feeling isolated from the road. 560hp is SO much power for an everyday driver to deal with, and frankly, for them to understand. Most of us think about steering input and braking time, etc. But most people when faced with that much power think, "Look what I can do!" without regard to handling or braking. dry.gif

Someone once suggested to me that there should be a special class of drivers license for high power cars. More and more I feel like that would be a good thing. If you have to take special classes to drive a big rig, you should have to take special classes to drive a car like a Carrera GT. There is just so much room for error that anyone behind the wheel should have proven that they know what they are doing.

Well said
ThePaintedMan
QUOTE(McMark @ Dec 4 2013, 03:40 PM) *

agree.gif I'm not here to take anyone's personal freedom as driving is a privilege, but we all have the right to a safe roadway. Cars are approaching the point that many are above the skill levels of most drivers.
r_towle
QUOTE(Tom @ Dec 4 2013, 02:01 PM) *

The 2014 Turbo S sounds like a wonderful car to drive. I know I will never be able to afford one and don't know if I would get one if I could. I got into sports cars with a 914 in 1973 and grew to love the nimble handling and feed back from the road. It seems the trend is to isolate the driver from that early sports car feel. The Excellence article on the 2014 Turbo is definitely worth the cost of the magazine. David Donohue sure likes the S. I can't help wondering what happens when you are in that car going faster than you normally would because of all the driver help systems and suddenly one of them fails?
I can't help but wonder if something in the torque management system in Paul's Carrera GT failed.
Tom

You would be so amazed at the power that the lack of feeling every bump would be nothing you miss.
Its a great car to drive, any of the newer cars post 1999 are a hoot.
A different feeling for sure, but they are still so amazing to drive your mind is dealing with loads more input and you would happily miss the vibration, and direct steering wheel contact,,,,its very sensitive, so you do feel the road.

I finally got inside a ten year window with my latest car,
I am always looking at cars now and wondering what they will cost in ten years.
Audi R8 seems to never want to lose value, and I have been waiting for it .
But a 10 year old porsche gets you into a 2003/4 car and they are not too shabby.

I will eventually get a late model (under 10 years old) 911 for my DD....its just a matter of timing for me to get sick of my current audi enough to move on.
Rich
aircooledtechguy
QUOTE(ThePaintedMan @ Dec 4 2013, 01:40 PM) *

I'm not here to take anyone's personal freedom as driving is a privilege, but we all have the right to a safe roadway. Cars are approaching the point that many are above the skill levels of most drivers.

That is a great point. It's interesting if not ironic to also note that in virtually all forms of auto racing, where BTW the most highly skilled drivers are, very strict limits are put on the cars to not only make them competitive with each other, but also to ensure they have limits on their performance so as to not outgrow the race tracks.

The simplest example is drag racing; now we only get a 1K foot dash since the cars got too fast in the full 1,280'. Restrictor plates in other forms of racing to slow things down. Skinny tires to make large HP not usable, thus slowing down the action for a given track. These restrictions are placed on the professional drivers who KNOW how to handle a car. Yet, "Jed the Neanderthal" can buy/build a 1000HP car capable of anything a race car can do and drive it on the street right along side you and your family with the same license you now carry. . . screwy.gif

Luckily those like me that are in the slow lane outnumber Jed by a large amount. lol-2.gif
mepstein
I have a feeling that drinking, inattentive driving and texting account for many more accidents than big horsepower cars. My 1.7 914 will still get me to 90mph. It's the deceleration that kills you.
gothspeed
A 914 with unstiffened chassis and trailing arms has '4 wheel steering' too. popcorn[1].gif
ripper911
I've always thought that it would be a good idea to have a special license that makes it alright for you to drive a bit faster than the posted limit, that way when you get pulled over you can show the officer that you're certified as being able to drive safely at a reasonable speed, of course you would have training and testing.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.