Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: VW Puma
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
hot_shoe914
Anybody hav confused24.gif e a clue what these cars are worth?
Mark Henry
Not really, but I've worked on a few. I used to have one in my backyard for years. It was a shell I got $800 for it.
It looks not too bad because it's made of fiber glass, bonded to a VW bug pan.

They have no head room at all.... a 914 with top on has 12' of head room compared to a Puma. At 6'-1" I hated even just taking it for a test drive.
Mark Henry
BTW they used to sell them here in the early 80's at the Lada dealerships.
hot_shoe914
Thanks, I have a line on a good one, complete, didn't know if they had any value or not. I directed him to the Samba.
OU8AVW
Send him to John Bane blink.gif
Know that guy?
DBCooper
You're interested in it? Don't want to cause you problems, but if you pass or aren't interested for whatever reason I could be interested.

76-914
A Puma STI idea.gif
hot_shoe914
QUOTE(DBCooper @ Dec 4 2013, 05:09 PM) *

You're interested in it? Don't want to cause you problems, but if you pass or aren't interested for whatever reason I could be interested.

I have no interest.
Eric_Shea
I think you should paint it silver. Maybe Slate Grey... blink.gif
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE(hot_shoe914 @ Dec 4 2013, 04:39 PM) *

I have no interest.

I could be interested. I can also take a look at if if I decide it's not for me ................ I'll be passing through Ventura next Tuesday. Do we know what year and model it is? Convertible or coupe?

The Cap'n
DBCooper

I have no interest.

Cool. How can I get in touch with him? Or could you give him my contact info? Nevermind, I'll PM you.

QUOTE(76-914 @ Dec 4 2013, 04:21 PM) *

A Puma STI idea.gif

You take a step back. Right now. With all due respect.

EDIT: Aw, Cap'n, we posted at the same time. You don't want that car, do you? Not really, it's a VW! And worse, it's a BRAZILIAN volks car.

Ventura...? Who said Ventura? EDIT2: Oh, I see, second title line. Duh.

hot_shoe914
DB, send me a number and I will send you some pics. He may let me sell it for him.
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE(DBCooper @ Dec 4 2013, 04:49 PM) *

I have no interest.

Cool. How can I get in touch with him? Or could you give him my contact info? Nevermind, I'll PM you.

A Puma STI idea.gif

EDIT: Aw, Cap'n, we posted at the same time. You don't want that car, do you? Not really, it's a VW! And worse, it's a BRAZILIAN volks car.

Ahhhh, Not a Puma, a Ventura. Took me a little time to have a talk with Mr. Google and figure it out. After looking at the pictures, its clunky looks don't interest me in the slightest. Consider me out.

Here's a link: http://wj2d.100megsdns.com/ventura.html

Another link to the main Puma page: http://wj2d.100megsdns.com/home.html

Have fun!

The Cap'n
r_towle
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Dec 4 2013, 08:12 PM) *

QUOTE(DBCooper @ Dec 4 2013, 04:49 PM) *

I have no interest.

A Puma STI idea.gif

Ahhhh, Not a Puma, a Ventura. Took me a little time to have a talk with Mr. Google and figure it out. After looking at the pictures, its clunky looks don't interest me in the slightest. Consider me out.

Here's a link: http://wj2d.100megsdns.com/ventura.html

Another link to the main Puma page: http://wj2d.100megsdns.com/home.html

Have fun!

The Cap'n

I agree.
A puma would be an interesting car to own for a bit, but the Ventura,,,,,yuck
hot_shoe914
Click to view attachment Click to view attachment

hot_shoe914
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

scotty b
That's an early Puma with a LOT of front end changes. FWIW I sold my last one ( I had 2 ) for 2500 with no engine, solid, nice interior with major body mods, but still looked like a Puma unlike this one
Mark Henry
QUOTE(scotty b @ Dec 5 2013, 12:22 AM) *

That's an early Puma with a LOT of front end changes. FWIW I sold my last one ( I had 2 ) for 2500 with no engine, solid, nice interior with major body mods, but still looked like a Puma unlike this one

No body changes.... it's a Puma Venturta and it's actually a later car as in late 80's early 90's.
IPB Image

You most likely had a Puma GTI or GTC.
IPB Image

I kind of like the look of the 1969 GT.

IPB Image
hot_shoe914
It is supposedly a 1984 model.
DBCooper
They didn't sell many Venturas, so that's a very rare car. The fact it's so rare might make it more valuable, I don't know, but unfortunately for me it's on a Chevrolet chassis with a straight six engine. My interest is for one of the earlier non-smog GT-GTE cars that were based on an aircooled VW chassis, and the intention would be a Subaru conversion. Those little cars are more sport, less luxe.

I suspect this Ventura will go to some collector, but have no idea who, nor could I suggest where to look. Even though it's not aircooled The Samba will probably be the matrix for finding him, because most Puma guys go through there, although he probably won't be an A/C VW guy. Good luck with it.

scotty b
Well spank me and call me Sally, you really do learn something new everyday. Yes mine were both GTI's. I'd never heard of, or seen the Ventura. I ASSumed by the side profile and rear end it was a modded GTI slap.gif
Dr Evil
Ya, take that Sally! sheeplove.gif

Chris H.
Yeah Sally take that! spank.gif (this could go on for a while)

Hey DB I sometimes troll for Pumas although I doubt I would ever buy one...if I see one if these I will let you know.
scotty b
AFAIK the GTI convertible I had is available. The guy never did anything with it. It's been sitting in his garage for about 4 years now untouched since I had it. Body is sound, floor needs a few small patches. The biggest issue is the top. I don't know if anyone makes a new one or not.
Mark Henry
QUOTE(scotty b @ Dec 6 2013, 09:55 AM) *

AFAIK the GTI convertible I had is available. The guy never did anything with it. It's been sitting in his garage for about 4 years now untouched since I had it. Body is sound, floor needs a few small patches. The biggest issue is the top. I don't know if anyone makes a new one or not.

Boat top place should be able to make a top or there is a guy from Brazil on the bird board, I bet he could find a new top for a Puma 'vert

The car is basically a simple VW type 1, I just didn't like the coupes because they have no headroom.
DBCooper
I think the GT-GTI chassis was actually the Brasilia, so a little broader behind the front wheel wells, kind of like a Karman Ghia, and a swing axle rear like early bugs, but that was evolved past the point where the bugs stopped. Replacement tops aren't a problem from Brasil. If the guy Mark mentioned from the Pelican board can't help let me know and I'll find someone down there.

Scotty, is it otherwise complete and a generally good car? If so, and if it's not too expensive after it's shipped out west, I might be interested.

Mark Henry
QUOTE(DBCooper @ Dec 6 2013, 01:18 PM) *

I think the GT-GTI chassis was actually the Brasilia, so a little broader behind the front wheel wells, kind of like a Karman Ghia, and a swing axle rear like early bugs, but that was evolved past the point where the bugs stopped.

So in other words a VW beetle type one chassis with different floor pans.
I wouldn't compare the swing axle use as evolution...maybe devolution....
hot_shoe914
QUOTE(DBCooper @ Dec 5 2013, 08:08 AM) *

They didn't sell many Venturas, so that's a very rare car. The fact it's so rare might make it more valuable, I don't know, but unfortunately for me it's on a Chevrolet chassis with a straight six engine. My interest is for one of the earlier non-smog GT-GTE cars that were based on an aircooled VW chassis, and the intention would be a Subaru conversion. Those little cars are more sport, less luxe.

I suspect this Ventura will go to some collector, but have no idea who, nor could I suggest where to look. Even though it's not aircooled The Samba will probably be the matrix for finding him, because most Puma guys go through there, although he probably won't be an A/C VW guy. Good luck with it.

He claims it has a VW engine. confused24.gif
Mark Henry
QUOTE(hot_shoe914 @ Dec 6 2013, 05:40 PM) *

QUOTE(DBCooper @ Dec 5 2013, 08:08 AM) *

He claims it has a VW engine. confused24.gif

It's a VW engine and chassis

Ok....
It's NOT a Puma, Puma did not make it. it was made by a company called L'Automobile Company. It used Puma and VW parts but it wasn't made by Puma. Dealers sometimes mistakenly called it a Puma Ventura.

It is very rare in the USA so the owner would have very close to a one of a kind car. The neat thing is it would be a affordable one off as it is a VW drive train.
http://wj2d.100megsdns.com/louisven.html

IPB Image

BTW the six cylinder is a Puma...a Puma GTB
Mark Henry
This is the 6 cylinder Puma GTB
IPB Image
DBCooper
You're right. I saw it called a Puma and assumed that's what it was, my mistake. But not the GTB in your photo, I thought it was the Puma GTB-S2, like this:

IPB Image

Looks kind of like the Ventura, but Google is our friend. What's ironic is that I lived down there during the entire time it was being manufactured and don't think I ever saw a Ventura. But I learned something new, so the day's starting off pretty well.

Good news is that since it's VW powered it'll probably be easier to sell than the Puma/GM I thought it was, and The Samba will definitely be the place to sell it.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.