Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Poll: Ultimate Value: Factory Original Color v. Factory Other
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
HereJohnny
Hello,

(Not putting this in originality/history category since I'm considering not original)

You might put this down under hedging my bet. I already know that what I'll have into it may not be what I fetch - if and when I need to sell my 914.

I am not going to go for Concours - but will go for 99% original (with some restoration parts) when restoring my '70 914 1.7.

Here's what I'm wondering:

My original paint color is Red Metallic. Around the window trim, it appears to be much deeper red, almost burgundy - and not the pasty looking color chip on the website.

I can't stand either color but if I am significantly affecting the car's resale value or the ability to sell it in a short time (even though I am going to keep it for a weekend driver), I'll keep it the same color.

I plan on taking it down to the metal - everywhere.

My question:

Is the car value truly affected if I use a color from 71, 72, 73 if it's not concours condition?

That is to say:

It will be a quality restoration in all other regards. From what I see in the forum, I might add:

1. Stabilizers
2. Better struts
3. Stiffening components.
4. A late model radio/CD
5. An after market exhaust
6. Wider tires and perhaps Fuchs wheels.

Everything else will be stock.

Therefore, what would you do or what have you done and why?

If there are components you would take away from my list, tell me why you might not do them.

McMark
Original color will be worth more. but if you're building it to sell it - you picked the wrong car.

Do what you like.
Ferg
Keep it factory... You have a rare special order color, it would be a shame to change it.

As far as resale, as a buyer I would not even consider a color change unless it was crazy cheap.

boxsterfan
http://www.p914.com/p914_paint_L97D_70.htm

http://img209.imageshack.us/img209/4544/10...996n6pis2um.jpg

Nice paint. Given that it is a 1.7L it will likely never do that well in value for decades to come still. If it ever does increase in value significantly, original color always wins.

Given that it is your car, your money and your life, I would paint it whatever color you want.

Otherwise, I would switch to Aubergine. shades.gif
JawjaPorsche
I have a 1/43 scale 914 model that has the rare red metallic color. It was only offered in 1970 according to color chart. The steel wheels on the model didn't come out until later. Maybe 1974? This a Euro model because of no warts and Euro lens. The back also has VW/Porsche emblem. Pretty amazing detail.

http://www.p914.com/p914_paint_70.htm
HereJohnny
Well, that does it. I'm going with original. I think that saves me soda blasting the bottom. Some touch up here and there but it all makes sense.

wndsnd
Much much easier not doing a color change.
OU8AVW
I have to do a color change to get my car back to the original color. PO did a pretty thorough respray in Orange. Worth the effort in my book.
worn
QUOTE(OU8AVW @ Dec 5 2013, 01:37 PM) *

I have to do a color change to get my car back to the original color. PO did a pretty thorough respray in Orange. Worth the effort in my book.

Does this mean I am stuck with Bahia red? How about after an engine swap?
krazykonrad
Stay factory. But yellow does make it go faster...

Konrad
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.