Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Removing front sway bar brackets and bushings.
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
nynone4
I'm replacing the stock front sway bar on the six, and was wondering:

Is there a trick to removing the outer triangular plate and corresponding rubber bushing to get the original bar out of the car? It seems like the rubber bushing will not slide over the square end pieces of the bar without the proper combination of swear words. Anyone know the combination?

The car is freshly painted, so I've been a little hesitant to get too "enthusiastic" with removing it yet. IPB Image

Thanks in advance for any help!
JeffBowlsby
Slice it to get it over the bar.
davep
I'm with Jeff on this. The covers are bolted onto the body. In fact, the inner nut plates are supposed to be welded to the body with four holes cut in the body for the bolts and swaybar to go through. I thought the rubber bushings were split to begin with. Factory ones are I'm pretty sure.

One removes the 3 bolts, then pops the cover off of the bushing, and finally splits the bushing to remove it from the bar.
nynone4
So you're saying the triangular metal plate (the one in the fenderwell - not the threaded part) should seperate from the rubber bushing fairly easily? Mine feel like they've become bonded together. I'm real close to torching the old rubber out. Not the method I'd prefer - but I suppose it will work.
datapace
Did this this weekend to install a tarett bar.

I tried for about 15 minutes before I gave up and used a MAPP torch. Same deal as with the a-arm bushings, look for whispy smoke then turn and twist off. It took about 10 seconds to remove. Obviously, you only need to do one side nthen slide the bar out the other side with the drop link attached.

Doing this kills the bushing, which probably needed replacing anyway.

-bryan
Eric_Shea
IPB Image

Over the years they become one (well... almost). The best method is described above. Just a whisp of smoke, no need to choke yourself out of the garage.

Factory bushings are not split. A box cutter can accomplish the task and make removal that much easier. If it's too hard you may want to carefully cut away with a cut off wheel.
Mueller
it seems like one should be able to "drive" the bar out with a suitable drift IPB Image

unbolt one side and from the other side, push the bar thru the mount still on the car.....it shouldn't take that much force or damage anything....lube the bar on the end you are hitting to help the bar squeeze thru....
RustyWa
I'm going to quickly hi-jack this thread, but it follows along. I've got new bushings for a stock bar. The new bushings are not split. Should I split them? They are almost as hard as rock and it's hard for me to imagine them sliding over the square end of the bar.
jim912928
Yes...you split them. I just added a front sway bar to mine and it is the only way to get it on. The cup that goes over it will compress it and keep it in place. Use some type of lubricant with glycerine on the inside so the sway bar can move in it easily.
nynone4
Thanks for all the help guys!
Eric_Shea
Yup... those hard ones need to be split.
maf914
QUOTE (Eric_Shea @ Dec 28 2004, 07:32 PM)
Yup... those hard ones need to be split.

Do the aftermarket delrin or poly swaybar bushings squeek,creak or groan after installed? IPB Image

On my Nissan pickup I installed a set of fat ADDCO swaybars with red poly-urethane bushings. They work great and really reduce body roll. After a while they started creaking when the suspension compressed over bumps. Really annoying. I tried something I had read in the Road & Track Q & A column. I removed the bushings, which were split type blocks and wrapped the sway bars at the bearing points with teflon thread tape. Just a few overlapping wraps. Put it back together and no noise. This was years ago. Just a suggestion if the bars make noise. IPB Image
nynone4
QUOTE (datapace @ Dec 28 2004, 02:36 PM)
I tried for about 15 minutes before I gave up and used a MAPP torch. Same deal as with the a-arm bushings, look for whispy smoke then turn and twist off. It took about 10 seconds to remove. Obviously, you only need to do one side nthen slide the bar out the other side with the drop link attached.

Using a little heat worked like a charm - and the new bar went on very easily. Thanks again guys!
Eric_Shea
Do the aftermarket delrin or poly swaybar bushings squeek,creak or groan after installed?
Yup they do...

Good idea! IPB Image

I wonder how long that stuff stays on there? Sounds like you've got at least a couple years under your belt with yours.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.