Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: On velocity right now 914 restore
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
toolguy
On Wheeler Dealers. . . The guys in England are doing a 914 on Velocity Channel... A
barely running barn stored car they paid 4000 pounds for it and think that can restore it and sell it for 8000 and make a profit.
. . .
turk22
and for a tidy (claimed) profit....
PanelBilly
That's right, spoil the ending for him
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE(turk22 @ Dec 4 2013, 06:17 PM) *

and for a tidy (claimed) profit....

It may be worthwhile to note they never factor in overhead, as in the shop and equipment and Edd's labor, not to mention the host's time, in their "profit". And in this case, some of the stuff they say and do isn't what I would call "right".

The Cap'n
jcd914
agree.gif

Their definition of "restoration" is a bit questionable.

Jim
3d914
Here's a link to the 5-part series on u-tube

Enjoy!
mepstein
And a bunch of new parts they didn't add in to the cost of the resto.
RazorbackFan78
I watched this on youtube a few days ago and remember thinking "the PO may have come out even on the buy-back....if ya figure in parts & labor".

AND THEN I remember thinking maybe I need to mop my faded paint job before I decide to go pay for a full spray....hmmmmmm idea.gif
Cairo94507
I like their show and it is entertainment. However, that being said some of the things they do are not how we would approach them as their goal is to get the car running and sell it quickly.

Most of us (apparently) have an aversion to putting our cars on the road (under their own power) and prefer to keep them in various states of disassembly to admire and covet. smile.gif
Johny Blackstain
As of this morning...
$4000 GBP = $6250 USD
$8250 GBP = $13,447.50 USD
Funny how the front bumper pad magically lost all it's dimples, the 1.8 was not replaced on the back panel next to 914, the tranny & linkage were just taken out & put back in & worked, the suspension & brakes seemed to have no issues... Ah, the magic of television huh.gif
r_towle
Given what happened, I suspect he could not find a car to buy, but he found a car to fix up for the owner.
They wrote up a script and made a show out of it.
The budget dictated what got done, cause they did not even clean up underneath...

The whole thing just seemed a bit to fabricated, even when he bought it.
The purchase price was really not realistic for a car in that shape. it should have been 2-3K us at most....

Rich
dcecc1968
It is entertainment, but good entertainment involving a 914 to boot. Some of the inspiration for purchasing my 914 came from watching this show.

OK, so maybe "making a profit" was overplayed, but I would venture to say that few of us care about profit more than we care about our cars anyway.
76-914
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Dec 5 2013, 07:13 AM) *

I like their show and it is entertainment. However, that being said some of the things they do are not how we would approach them as their goal is to get the car running and sell it quickly.

Most of us (apparently) have an aversion to putting our cars on the road (under their own power) and prefer to keep them in various states of disassembly to admire and covet. smile.gif

Hey, I resemble that remark. bootyshake.gif
boogie_man
QUOTE(Johny Blackstain @ Dec 5 2013, 07:42 AM) *

As of this morning...
$4000 GBP = $6250 USD
$8250 GBP = $13,447.50 USD
Funny how the front bumper pad magically lost all it's dimples, the 1.8 was not replaced on the back panel next to 914, the tranny & linkage were just taken out & put back in & worked, the suspension & brakes seemed to have no issues... Ah, the magic of television huh.gif

Fuel lines "check" lol
gothspeed
I thought it was a good episode, however I think they should have given the original owner a better deal .... smash.gif
RazorbackFan78
I may start referring to my car as a "nine one four"
gothspeed
QUOTE(RazorbackFan78 @ Dec 5 2013, 06:33 PM) *

I agree, i spoke to a guy from Australia at EMW and he refered to it as a 'nine one four' as well. It sounded a lot more sophisticated than 'nine fourteen' as we call it. popcorn[1].gif
ThePaintedMan
QUOTE(gothspeed @ Dec 6 2013, 01:16 AM) *

I agree, i spoke to a guy from Australia at EMW and he refered to it as a 'nine one four' as well. It sounded a lot more sophisticated than 'nine fourteen' as we call it. popcorn[1].gif

But strange that I know a few Brits who refer to the 911 as a "Nine eleven," not a "Nine one one."

I like Wheeler Dealers. Agree, that they do often sneak in a ton of work that is never shown, or parts that aren't factored in, but I like the premise of the show. It's a whole lot better than watching the crap we have here where either the shop has ungodly amounts of money for all-new Snap On tools, or the other ones where they bolt on a new set of chrome rims and a headrest TV and charge the owner who knows how much for something an ape could do.

Edd at least attempts to show you, the mechanic, how each item can be fixed, rather than bolting on a ton of new stuff and sucking up to a sponsor. For someone trying to do a quick turnaround on a car to make a couple bucks on the side, it makes it look like you can actually make a little profit (or at least appear that way) biggrin.gif That is, assuming that your time working on it isn't factored into the final sale either.
rfuerst911sc
I will admit I enjoy the show but more to learn from Edd then to watch Mike. But I guess as a showman he does a good job. From what I understand Edd is quite smart and a very good mechanic, however it drives me nuts when he uses WD40 for penetrating fluid ! Come on Edd you should know better than that.
gothspeed
QUOTE(RazorbackFan78 @ Dec 5 2013, 06:33 PM) *

Maybe we should start a poll, to see if anyone else agrees to refer to the 914 as they do in the UK, Aus and who knows where else. beerchug.gif

'Nine Fourteen' vs 'Nine One Four'

I vote 'Nine One Four' !!! smilie_pokal.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.