Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Engine Lid
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Tom73
Have a '71 and need to remove the engine lid. Question is how? Looks as if there is one bolt on each engine lid bracket (the one welded to the bulkhead). Is that it? What about the torsion bars for holding it open, how do you deal with them?

tom...
Steve
You are correct.
Its just two 10mm bolts on each side of the engine lid that bolts to the welded L brackets on the firewall.
The torsion bars are part of the engine lid, so you don't have to worry about them.
mightyohm
You don't have to deal with the springs. Remove the bolts and pull it out. Simple.
Allan
I took mine off by just unbolting it from the hinge mounts that are welded to the fire wall. Whole thing came right out. Torsion bars and all. Easy.
Tom73
Thanks guys, appreciate the confirmation. That is what I was thinking, just wanted to make sure.

tom...
Joe Bob
If you notch the arms....next time you don't have to fully remove the bolts.....
Tom73
Lets add a part 2 to the question IPB Image

It that a bolt and a nut and is either welded in place? Would hate to try turning something that is welded IPB Image

tom...
TheCabinetmaker
Nut is part of the bracket. Do like mike said and make the holes into slots. You never have to remove the bolts again. Just loosen them two turns and slide the hood off.
Joseph Mills
QUOTE (Tom73 @ Dec 28 2004, 05:49 PM)
Lets add a part 2 to the question IPB Image
It that a bolt and a nut and is either welded in place?  Would hate to try turning something that is welded IPB Image
tom...

Tom,
The nut is welded to the bracket that is welded to your firewall. Underneath the hinge is the bolt that you loosen.

When you remove it, cut slots where the bolt hole is on the hinge (as others have said). Makes it a two minute job to quickly remove your lid. Works great.

When snugging down the bolts when re-installing be careful to not overtighten - it's very easy to strip the nut. But please don't ask me how I know. IPB Image
boxstr
Let me add a personal note. When reinstalling the engine lid cover. Have an extra set of hands to hold one side. It is easy to have the opposite side slide and hit a battery terminal, and I think we know what can happen.
Also perfect time to clean the underside of your engine lid and the rain tray.
CCLINPRESSONLID
Tom73
QUOTE (boxstr @ Dec 28 2004, 10:17 PM)
Also perfect time to clean the underside of your engine lid and the rain tray.

That is the purpose in removing the like. Am going to replace the seal at the bottom of the rear glass, then remove and repaint the grill, and basicly detail the area. IPB Image

tom...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.