Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: I'll bet this is why the car was overheating
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Jgreen
You may have seen my posts about my car overheating. I finally broke down, dropped the motor (great info on this site, and the Tangerine plate was very helpful).

I saw that there was a lot of oil at the top of the pressure sender, and there was a lot of oil on the front of the engine, from the area of the sender and the cooler.

I pulled the cooler, and there was a nice sheet of what the experts call "crap" that covered the top of the cooler. Bewteen the oil all over it, allowing all the dust and debris to stick together, it literally formed a "sheet" over the oil cooler. Here's a pic.
aircooledtechguy
Yep, that'll probably do it. . . You can bet that there is probably a lot of crap under the tins on top of the cylinders as well. Consider cleaning the longblock while you have it all out.

Years ago, I had a client with the same problem; elevated oil temps etc. His 3 y/o obviously had a great time slipping his McDonald french fries down into the fan blades when his dad wasn't looking. This is what I found. . . rolleyes.gif lol-2.gif

IPB Image
ndfrigi
WOW my pressure sender used to leak also until I replaced it with a new one. But maybe there are already a junk of sticky dirt on top of my oil cooler also. Well I may need to drop my engine soon. Thanks for sharing!
jimkelly
good job finding that 40 years of debris accumulation on your oil cooler.

beerchug.gif
worn
Holy guano, Batman, that might cause a shift.
nathansnathan
I think it is mice that are putting that stuff on the cooler.
toolguy
When I got my car, the PO had let it sit outside for a year covered up. . . this is when I pulled the shroud off the engine. . that is the car cover in pieces which the mice had chewed off and carried inside the engine. . . nice little cozy spot for them. .
And the PO said it never overheated. . gotta wonder ??
carr914
QUOTE(toolguy @ Dec 5 2013, 05:42 PM) *

When I got my car, the PO had let it sit outside for a year covered up. . . this is when I pulled the shroud off the engine. . that is the car cover in pieces which the mice had chewed off and carried inside the engine. . . nice little cozy spot for them. .
And the PO said it never overheated. . gotta wonder ??

Why would you wonder ?

It obviously never turned a Revolution after he stored it
Dr Evil
"Ran before parked" dry.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.