Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Who would do this???
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
spare time toys
IPB Image On both sides of the engint the rear exhaust port to manifold is like this. No nut on the one stud and it looks like the other is broken off in the head. Then to top it off they put JB Weld all around to seal it off. WHY ... IPB Image IPB Image IPB Image I pray I dont have to pull the heads off this thing and take to a shop.
Aaron Cox
ugly lookin headers ya got there IPB Image

hope it works out IPB Image
TimT
since the engine is out of the car you have a much better chance of getting the broken stud out!! you can roll the engine on its side to allow easier drilling etc.

start by soaking all the rest of the studs with liquid wrench or something, then use liberal heat to remove the rest of the header bolts. dill out the broken stud, reassemble etc..

I wouldnt worry to much about it... it can be fixed with the head on the engine
sanman
IS it cracked?
rick 918-S
Had the same problem. Believe it or not this isn't a bolt. This was a stud in my 928 head broken off by the p.o. I welded a washer to it, then plug welded a nut to the mound of weld holding the washer. Stud came right out.
DJsRepS
Nice job rick. I was going to post that I saw an exaust repair shop do a simular thing to my chev truck.
spare time toys
QUOTE (Aaron Cox @ Dec 28 2004, 05:53 PM)
ugly lookin headers ya got there IPB Image

Not headres its the factory manifolds. Want to take them into work and bead blast then hi-temp paint them. The one in the photo is the back one on this side.
rick 918-S
I bead blasted mine then used high temp paint. The paint lasted about an hour. Mine are solid rust again. I need something better than Paint.
TimT
the cast 928 exhaust manifolds actually look like they flow well..If you want to coat the headers while they are out... try Jet-Hot.. I bet $250 and you will have some nice manifolds
jim912928
You also might want to ask Jim Bailey in the rennlist forum what most 928 people do...or call Devek.
rick 918-S
I had a conversation with a guy that built a supercharger for the 928 motor. he dyno'ed both headers and stock manifolds. With open exhaust the manifolds made more HP. Porsche knew what they were doing. IPB Image Hard to re-invent the wheel sometimes. IPB Image
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.