Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT: Tsunami Pic ...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
SirAndy
the wave rolling in, taken from a hotel room, in Thailand ...

look at the palm tree barely sticking out the top of the wave!
OMG IPB Image
rick 918-S
The wave caused a measurable shortening of the day. Actually changed the earths rotation speed! IPB Image
seanery
QUOTE (rick 918-S @ Dec 28 2004, 07:48 PM)
The wave caused a measurable shortening of the day. Actually changed the earths rotation speed! IPB Image

for real?
GaroldShaffer
yep, knocked off like a tenth of a second.
Pnambic
There are several islands that were said to have been completely submerged. There was one particular island housing an Indian airforce base. All 100 officers and family stationed there were swept away and not a single building left standing.

In the image posted, the water was just barely over 1 story high. In Aceh, it was three stories high.

I heard Jet Li is one of the missing persons.
GTeener
I have a friend vacationing in Thailand right now. Bummer timing...

Thanfully he was in Bangkok when the tidalwaves struck and he is alive and well today IPB Image
Howard
My office manager and her family returned from a trip to Phuket and Phi Phi 2 weeks ago. They stayed in the Hotel on Phi Phi that got flattened. Yikes!

I'll try to get some pix and post. She said it was really a paradise.
TimT
The wave caused a measurable shortening of the day

yeap 3 microseconds

Something like this just is like a big slap in the face... how powerful and cruel mother nature can be. They have early warning systems... well india and Indonesia dont.. but what good would a few minutes warning be anyway?
bryanthompson
So, did we lose a tenth of a second, or did we gain?
TimT
Yes Phuket.. phi phi... and "james bond island" are like Eden... paradise found unfortunately... big tourist places, but beautiful nonetheless
TimT
The tectonic experts are still debating whether the earth expanded or contracted..
Hawktel
Lots of the places would have had up to 2 hours warning I heard. I believe I heard that the parts that struck Africa would have had nearly a day warning.

Any way you look at it though, this is going down in the record books. Prolly under the heading "When the fecal matter hits the rotary impeller"
Pnambic
QUOTE (TimT @ Dec 28 2004, 08:54 PM)
The wave caused a measurable shortening of the day

yeap 3 microseconds

Something like this just is like a big slap in the face... how powerful and cruel mother nature can be. They have early warning systems... well india and Indonesia dont.. but what good would a few minutes warning be anyway?

NOAA issued a warning 20 minutes after the quake, but there are no authorities in that area to recognize it or act on it. I'm not professionally trained, but as I understand it, the safest place would be out to sea. The wave is negligible in the open ocean. It doesn't rise and crest until it ramps up the shore.

Entire indigenous races were wiped out by this tsunami in the Andaman islands. Whole tribes. Gone.

Waves of 2.6 meters as far away as Mexico were attributed to the tsunami.
vortrex
they said the maldive islands have moved 90ft as a result of the tsunami.
Eddie Williams
QUOTE (Pnambic @ Dec 28 2004, 07:41 PM)

I heard Jet Li is one of the missing persons.

Chinese actor Jet Li, star of the film 'Hero' is seen with director Quentin Tarantino in this August 17, 2004 file photo in Hollywood, California. The action film star of 'Hero' and 'Lethal Weapon 4' rescued his daughter as Sunday's tsunami swept his hotel in the Maldives December 26, 2004. Li suffered minor injuries as he fled the rising waters. REUTERS/Fred Prouser/File

Jet Li
Aaron Cox
QUOTE (vortrex @ Dec 28 2004, 10:50 PM)
some videos..

http://www.compfused.com/directlink/527/

http://www.compfused.com/directlink/526/

In the first one, they show that couple being swept away IPB Image IPB Image
Rhodes71/914
I spent 8 weeks travelling all over the island of Sumatra about 8 years ago. Including Banda Aceh and a tiny island off the west coast. Beautiful scuba diving and surfing.

The highest point on that little island couldn't have been more than 10ft above sea level, can't imagine much is left there now.

Saw some very beautiful places, very sad as well as a big wake up call on the power of mother nature.
scruz914
QUOTE (seanery @ Dec 28 2004, 05:56 PM)

for real?

Sort of for real.

The quake did not effect the Earth's speed of rotation, which determines the length of a day. It did effect the wobble of the Earth's axis which is most apparent at the poles. So even though the Earth's rotation was impacted our day did not increase or decrease as a result of the earthquake.

As for whether the Earth expanded or contracted because of the earthquake, the Earth is expanding and contracting constantly with changes in the oceanic and continental plates. Some earthquakes are caused by massive and sudden shifts at the boundries of these plates. Expansion is caused by spreading at the midocean ridges. Contraction is from the oceanic plates pushing under the contentinal plates as well as from the colliding of continental plates. Overall the expansions and contractions pretty much offset each other. So there is a chance that this earthquake did cause an expansion or contraction in the Earth's surface, but it will also probably be offset buy opposing movements elsewhere.
SpecialK
QUOTE (scruz914 @ Dec 28 2004, 10:14 PM)
QUOTE (seanery @ Dec 28 2004, 05:56 PM)

for real?

Sort of for real.

The quake did not effect the Earth's speed of rotation, which determines the length of a day. It did effect the wobble of the Earth's axis which is most apparent at the poles. So even though the Earth's rotation was impacted our day did not increase or decrease as a result of the earthquake.

As for whether the Earth expanded or contracted because of the earthquake, the Earth is expanding and contracting constantly with changes in the oceanic and continental plates. Some earthquakes are caused by massive and sudden shifts at the boundries of these plates. Expansion is caused by spreading at the midocean ridges. Contraction is from the oceanic plates pushing under the contentinal plates as well as from the colliding of continental plates. Overall the expansions and contractions pretty much offset each other. So there is a chance that this earthquake did cause an expansion or contraction in the Earth's surface, but it will also probably be offset buy opposing movements elsewhere.

Yeah....what he said.... IPB Image
scruz914
QUOTE (Special_K @ Dec 29 2004, 01:05 AM)
Yeah....what he said.... IPB Image

Sorry. This link has a pretty good explanation with pictures.

plates
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.