Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How do you overcome hoarding tendency?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Brian_Boss
My recent epiphany...

Last night I'm desperately shuffling stuff around to get all the cars inside before the huge ice storm heading for DFW. I decide to put a pretty beat up 914 A/C system in the attic to clear some space (can't throw that out - might need it someday). Climb stairs, turn on light, first thing I see is a big box with at least two full sets of 1.7 engine tin...crap...why is that still here.

Obviously, I struggle with trashing stuff that is usable. However there comes a point where your car is sitting out in the weather and you have no room to work because you are drowning in crap you can't bring yourself to throw out.

Am I the only one? Any suggestions? Want some free 1.7 liter tin?
toolguy
My biggest reason for keeping all sort of misc parts, is once I throw it out, I'm sure to need it in short order. . . then I can't find it, then I can't remember where I put it or if i actually got rid of it. . . getting old is a bitch. .
jimkelly
seems this stuff is easier to sell after it has been freshly powder coated gloss black : )

I only toss what I could not sell. some 1.7 tin fell into this category.
brant
I spend WAY too much money building a 16x12 addition to my shed this summer (concrete pad and all) just to store junk parts..

of course then I had to build lumber shelves $$$$

of course then I realized that I couldn't see in the dark and had to trench and pull wire to the building.... then pay an electrician to do final hook up.

so now my spare rusty 1.7 tin has an expensive place to rest in, and I don't have to face dealing with my hoarding addiction yet.
NORD
Two step program

1) Admitted you are powerless over 914's

2) Get a bigger garage

Hope this helps. confused24.gif
krazykonrad
Easy problem to fix. Just box up your really cool stuff (5 bolt Fuchs, 4 bolt Fuchs, 6 cylinder motors, GT flares, etc.) and send them to me. Problem solved.

beerchug.gif

Konrad
mikesmith
My SO handles much of the disposal of my crap on CL; the money goes straight to her slush fund, rather than back into our general fund, so she can spend it without having to account for it.

I found it was much easier to make a snap decision ("yeah, you can sell that") than to actually carry the desire to get rid of something all the way through the sales/disposal process.
Brian_Boss
QUOTE(mikesmith @ Dec 6 2013, 06:38 PM) *

I found it was much easier to make a snap decision ("yeah, you can sell that") than to actually carry the desire to get rid of something all the way through the sales/disposal process.

I would agree with this 100%. Unfortunately, I am not now, nor have I ever been, blessed with a SO that would mess with selling dirty car parts. Sounds like you've got it worked out.
Brian_Boss
QUOTE(NORD @ Dec 6 2013, 06:35 PM) *

2) Get a bigger garage

Haha- I like how you think but did that, didn't help. I used to have a dilapidated 20x20 frame garage. A few years ago I built a 24x40 garage/shop. I remember how huge and empty it looked when I was coating the floor. Not anymore...too embarrassed to post a pic.
JeffBowlsby
Easy...just give it away to some other deserving 914 owner.

https://bowlsby.net/914/PartsFS/
rohar
QUOTE(Brian_Boss @ Dec 6 2013, 04:01 PM) *

QUOTE(NORD @ Dec 6 2013, 06:35 PM) *

2) Get a bigger garage

Haha- I like how you think but did that, didn't help. I used to have a dilapidated 20x20 frame garage. A few years ago I built a 24x40 garage/shop. I remember how huge and empty it looked when I was coating the floor. Not anymore...too embarrassed to post a pic.

Not big enough. I'd suggest one similar to mine, 32 x 48. Make sure you cut it into 2 rooms that way you have a work space and a "storage" (read hording) room.

I own more porsche starters than shoes, I'm not sure why.
walterolin
It's part of the sickness.

I've been collecting parts for the eventual rebuild, and several times I've discovered that I've bought multiple sets of the same thing because I can't remember what I have. I think I have, somewhere, three sets of rollers for the window mechanisms. BigKenSteele at the Cinti VDub meeting admitted to the same behavior.
r_towle
40 by 140
Full.

24 by 36, second floor getting full
Ground floor is firewood, truck, tractor etc.

It is a sickness
Randal

Keep all that great stuff! flag.gif

Otherwise you lose the companionship of tripping on something every time you go into the garage - like the rest of us.
Tom
What hoarding problem are you talking about? biggrin.gif Surely you aren't gonna get rid of that! LOL!!
Tom
rosenfe
QUOTE(Tom @ Dec 6 2013, 05:12 PM) *

What hoarding problem are you talking about? biggrin.gif Surely you aren't gonna get rid of that! LOL!!
Tom

NOT A SICKNESS,ITS A PASSION.ENJOY IT.LIFE IS SHORT.YOU COULD BE COLLECTING SOMETHING REALLY CRAZY LIKE MERCEDES DIESELS(ASK ME HOW I KNOW)ANYWAY YOUR KIDS WILL EVENTUALLY HAVE TO DEAL WITH IT
r_towle
QUOTE(rosenfe @ Dec 6 2013, 11:01 PM) *

QUOTE(Tom @ Dec 6 2013, 05:12 PM) *

Tom

NOT A SICKNESS,ITS A PASSION.ENJOY IT.LIFE IS SHORT.YOU COULD BE COLLECTING SOMETHING REALLY CRAZY LIKE MERCEDES DIESELS(ASK ME HOW I KNOW)ANYWAY YOUR KIDS WILL EVENTUALLY HAVE TO DEAL WITH IT

Cap locks makes scottyB crazy......keep it down like the rest of earth
JRust
Some times you just have to ask yourself

What would Jamie do idea.gif

Everyone knows you just keep all that shit until your dead. Then you can pass the sickness on to your kids. Thats how I roll with my prized 914 hoard of stromberg.gif
mepstein
QUOTE(Jeff Bowlsby @ Dec 6 2013, 07:33 PM) *

agree.gif
Spoke
It helps when you threaten to move to another city. I did this last year when I got a job in Pittsburgh and I live in Allentown 275 miles away.

Totally cleaned out my stash, sold what I could and threw away the rest.

Ended up staying in the house and now the attic is clean. Only one small box of valuable 914 parts.

Rule of thumb is if you can't sell it for some $$, then it's not worth keeping. hide.gif
mepstein
QUOTE(Spoke @ Dec 7 2013, 12:03 AM) *

It helps when you threaten to move to another city. I did this last year when I got a job in Pittsburgh and I live in Allentown 275 miles away.

Totally cleaned out my stash, sold what I could and threw away the rest.

Ended up staying in the house and now the attic is clean. Only one small box of valuable 914 parts.

Rule of thumb is if you can't sell it for some $$, then it's not worth keeping. hide.gif

agree.gif I need to do the same sort of clean out in my workshop. Anything that's not going on my car in the near future will be sold and/or given away.

My wife has made it very clear that anything remaining once I'm gone will be thrown in the dumpster.
Cap'n Krusty
I used the one step program. Nearly all the 914 stuff went to Bruce Stone. Nearly all the 356 and 911 stuff went to Walt Watson at Com petition Engineering. What's left fits in a Vanagon, and gives an excuse to hit the Lit Show and 2 swap meets a year. Both donations took numerous trips with vans and trailers. I now subscribe to the TSO theory of life: Throw Shit Out. It appears to be working, 'cause I have my 911 in the Garage and I still have room to work!

The Cap'n
914outlaw
QUOTE(Brian_Boss @ Dec 6 2013, 06:24 PM) *

Am I the only one? Any suggestions? Want some free 1.7 liter tin?

You are not alone. If I had a stash of parts and time, I would buy 914 tub to put them on. My problem is finding the time to work on my 914 after work, house stuff, wife and a baby. Otherwise, I would sell it cheaply or give away. There are alot of newbies on this forum and seems like more and more price gougers selling parts.
r_towle
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Dec 7 2013, 12:24 AM) *

I used the one step program. Nearly all the 914 stuff went to Bruce Stone. Nearly all the 356 and 911 stuff went to Walt Watson at Com petition Engineering. What's left fits in a Vanagon, and gives an excuse to hit the Lit Show and 2 swap meets a year. Both donations took numerous trips with vans and trailers. I now subscribe to the TSO theory of life: Throw Shit Out. It appears to be working, 'cause I have my 911 in the Garage and I still have room to work!

The Cap'n

Question is, does Bruce like massachusetts?
He should fly here and rent a uhaul.....

Rich
carr914
QUOTE(mepstein @ Dec 6 2013, 11:21 PM) *

QUOTE(Jeff Bowlsby @ Dec 6 2013, 07:33 PM) *

agree.gif

That is called Enabling the Addict, I mean Hoarder

Once you start Hoarding, there is no stopping you! Just ask Woody, Wait that is Whoreding, Nevermind!
arkitect
QUOTE(r_towle @ Dec 6 2013, 05:08 PM) *

40 by 140
Full.

It is a sickness

40x140 - That's a huge building of teener parts. I wish I had one half that size.

Dave
r_towle
QUOTE(arkitect @ Dec 7 2013, 10:23 AM) *

QUOTE(r_towle @ Dec 6 2013, 05:08 PM) *

40 by 140
Full.

It is a sickness

40x140 - That's a huge building of teener parts. I wish I had one half that size.

Dave

No you don't, trust me.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.