Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Engine Compartment Seals
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
d7n7master
Hi All,
It's been a long time since I removed what was left of the old engine compartment seals. Now I'm ready to instal the new seals & Dooohhh IPB Image For the side seals: I don't know which side is suppose to be UP!!! Does the installed seal extend below the track with the lip UP? OR above the track with the lip facing DOWN???
Thanks. Gary
First-Timer IPB Image
SirAndy
QUOTE (d7n7master @ Dec 28 2004, 04:57 PM)
Does the installed seal extend below the track

YES, there's only one way they fit as far as i know, lip DOWN *BELOW* the track ...

the engine sheetmetal comes up from below and is supposed to "hook" into the lip when you move the engine up to create a tight air-seal ...

IPB Image Andy
d7n7master
Like This???
Thanks, IPB Image IPB Image
JoeSharpOld
Gary: The part of the seal that goes in the track is the upper outside of the seal. The lip allows the engine tin ( sheet metal) to slip up and down aginst it. High jack, I had a computer crash and lost all of my contacks. PM me your number please.
Joe
newdeal2
The lip on the edge faces up so it will mate up with the tins which have an edge that faces down. Once the engine assembly is in place you can "pop" the rubber onto the underside of the tins from under the car. Just did this install myself.

FYI Pelican says the rubber they sell are for the sides and rear but they are only for the sides and front firewall...at least that's what I did and they mate up just fine. I kept the rear original in place.
Allan
I just ordered the sides. The front and back seem good. This is a really good thread for the first timer. Should be elaborated by those who know and saved in the "Whatever that place is for important stuff" area. IPB Image
d7n7master
If I had known then what I know now - I could'a been done 2 hrs ago. IPB Image
Anyway, I installed the e/c seals today - with your help. Thank You. IPB Image
Started off bad. Couldn't get the front seal seated in the channel without a lot of ahhh, verbal abuse. I finally used a 'lil vasoline applied to the upper edge of the seal & a BIG flat blade screwdriver to compress the rubber enough to fit it into the channel.
Inch by inch... Rear seal was a piece of cake. Sides, not too bad. But the front was a S.O.B. No $hit.
Here's a couple pics for $hit's & Grins.
BTW - Check my work!!! I don't (really) know what the &^%$ I'm doing so if if doesn't look right, please say so before I stuff the engine back in & go - Doooooh IPB Image
Thanx, Gary
d7n7master
1 more.
d7n7master
Okay, maybe just 1 more.
d7n7master
Maybe just one more... IPB Image
kenpolives
I have the pass side seal but it is sitting in my trunk, can I install it wihout dropping the engine or am I SOL.
d7n7master
No way in the world could I have installed these seals with the engine in the car. IPB Image I had enough of a challenge getting them installed with the engine out.
But... I didn't want to mess up my newly painted (Por15'ed) engine compartment / seal track by using vise grips or something stupid. (I mean "creative") - to open the track enough to "fit" the new seals so it probably took me longer than it should have.

Or, maybe I'm wrong. I've never tried to replace the seals with the engine installed. Somebody will chime in - I'm sure. I'm not exactly Mr. Goodwrench, but I do have a set of vernier calipers that are fully adjustable using my ball-peen hammer & speed tape. IPB Image
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.