Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Too stiff?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > The Paddock
john914somers
So I've been building my 914-6 for the last 2 years with my dream of making a track only car. I've taken the advice of some people who absolutely know what they are doing because basically I'm pretty clueless? I have invested a lot of time and money and i think i've done a decent job of setting up my car. I never raced Porsches before but I have owned many 911's and a few 914's and I raced go karts for years. Anyway my suspension is pretty stiff 23mm torsion bars and 1" sway bar up front and 300 lb springs in the rear. The car has a full cage and very stiff chrome moly tubing supports to the front and rear shock towers. The car is about as low as i can get it (about 4-5" of ground clearance) and not be a catapiller blade. Anyway after 2 years and every nut and bolt off the car i was able to do my first track day about a month ago at Thunderhill. i was very happy with the first day out... I made it through 4 of 5 20 minute sessions with relatively little incidence, well except for the throtle sticking wide open down the front strait in 5th gear, it was a bit scary because my 3.2 had me going some 130 or so. Well i was able to get my foot under the pedal and pull it up, sorry guys, got a little side tracked. Back to my delema, the car stays nice and flat around the corners and the suspension is pretty stiff, which may actually suit my driving style given that my experience is in Karts; but I'm wondering how am I to know if my suspension is too stiff? All input is welcome. Thanks a ton guys!
brant
congrats
that is a great feeling to get out on the track after a long build

I'd love to see a picture

regarding spring rates
you'll get lots of opinions
does the car lose any traction in the rough patches or curbs?

so this is only my opinion, but you might be a little stiff in the front. I have 23mm torsions not in the car because the race shop I use recommended not too... they directed me to 22mm or smaller.. I've been running 22mm front torsions and taking data

I actually think I'm too stiff for the braking numbers I want
so I'm installing 21mm front torsions this winter as a test to compair my data on braking

I'm running 275 rear springs and pretty happy with them

I think the smoothness/roughness of your tracks could play in too.... although I've been running on pretty decently smooth tracks with my 22's

brant
campbellcj
I have 22 tb's and a fairly big swaybar (1-inch-ish) in front and either 300's or 350's in back. (Notes are at home and I'm not.) Car is extremely stiff but turns-in far better than it did with much softer rears obviously - 225s were much too soft. I may drop down to 275's or so. As Brant says you don't want to be bouncing off the track if the surface is rough - losing grip and beating you to death. BTDT.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.