Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: LED H4 conversion
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Harpo
This seems too good to be true. If the seller had a higher rating I might consider it.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/LED-Headlight-Conv...300442806023%26

David
JmuRiz
Very interesting, I know nada about lights etc...waiting to hear what the experts have to say.
billh1963
That is cool. I wonder about longevity, legality, etc.
pcar916
This is bulbs and electronics for later cars that have a reflectors already installed*. The H4 conversion for our cars is both bulbs and the reflector that replaces the sealed-beam bulbs that came with the cars.

I've run mine since 1999, but with the lower wattage bulbs. Running brighter bulbs requires relays and larger wires as well. The H-4 kit by Hella that a lot of folks install is actually one for motorcycles. I put one in my Norton after upgrading the alternator/regulator to 12 volts. In both that machine, the 914, and my '84 Carrera it's made a huge difference even with the lower wattage bulbs.

~Ron**

* Not that you couldn't install this package and make it work... but fans? Really. I like simple. If they really need fans then they're likely too f*&^^E bright. And you'd have to replace the wiring anyway.

** I'm not an expert... but I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night... oh yes.
gothspeed
So far i was gonna go HID, because they draw less current than stock. But LEDs are raising my curiosity smile.gif

These look pretty good for such a low price popcorn[1].gif
mikesmith
These are going to give you a weird light throw pattern, because they won't illuminate all of the reflector. I suspect there won't be room for the fans behind the bulb in the 914 popups.

If you want properly designed LED headlights that will fit our cars, you need to be looking at the JW Speaker (very expensive) or the TruckLite (reasonably expensive) lights. FWIW, Daniel Stern seems to like the JW Speaker units.

If you just want better lights, you still want reflectors and optics that are properly matched to the light source. Try the Dapper Lighting bi-xenon setup, for one. There are probably others...
Mike Bellis
If your reflector in the lens is not setup for the angle of the LED output, the beam patter will likely be poor. a real H4 lamp has 360° light output. These only have 180° output.
gothspeed
The only time you need 360 degree light is during high beam. Low beams only use 180 degree light. That is why standard H4 bulbs have that little metal sheild inside them. shades.gif

These look like they have one on each side, one for low and both for high. smile.gif
mikesmith
The light output from a planar LED like this is not uniform through 180°; they are much dimmer off-centre, and the centre of emission is substantially offset from the H4 filament location in these assemblies.

By all means, buy and try, just be aware that a these violate a couple of basic assumptions in the H4 reflector design and as a consequence the beam pattern you get won't be as intended.
Spoke
QUOTE(pcar916 @ Dec 7 2013, 03:18 PM) *

... but fans? Really.

Contrary to marketing of lower power for LEDs, these circuits do burn significant power and in very small areas. Heat sinks and fans are a sign that this system burns some power and generates some heat.
mikesmith
... and that someone is at least *trying* to do the right thing, compared to the many other LED headlight kits that don't have active cooling systems.

However, taking a naked fan like that and hanging it off the back of a headlight isn't a particularly robust design, so they're not trying that hard. 8(
gothspeed
It would actually be a good thing that more light is on axis than off axis. That is what projector lights do. How much exactly would be difficult to tell without trying them. smile.gif

Even with their imperfections, these lights are still 100% better than the lights that i currently make. wink.gif
mikesmith
It's not going to be "on axis" because the light source is displaced from the focal centre of the reflector; it's going to be "out of focus and shifted", but without testing it'll be difficult to know by how much.

Still think you'd have to cut holes in the popups to make the fans fit, though. Might wind up needing to water-cool them...

gothspeed
The whole point of the parabolic reflector is to expand and direct the light forward, not focus it. When light is 'focused' it converges into a point, not a diverging beam. popcorn[1].gif

Sure it may need to be realigned, but that would be expected from a new bulb design.
Eric_Shea
Back to the "I doubt it would fit with the fan" comment. thumb3d.gif
mikesmith
I'm not done with "you don't seem to understand what the reflector does", actually. 8)

The light is absolutely focussed, in the same (general) sense that the light from a projector is focussed; that is, it is directed from a source in some specific intended pattern.

By moving the light source away from the focal point of the not-actually-parabolic reflector, you are going to change the distribution of the light in a fashion not part of the original design.

The end result may or may not work as a headlight (fitment issues aside), but it won't be working as designed.
gothspeed
Light from a projector is 'focused' to a very specific distance (ie the silver screen surface). Closer or further away from that specific distance, the light is out of focus.

I understand what you are trying to say, however 'focus' is not the correct term to use. But yes these flat LEDS will have a different illumination pattern and direction than a standard halogen H4. But depending on the brightness, they would still be very functional. The position of the LED is not far off in Y axis compared to an H4, if at all ..... however If the LED was facing the reflector at say a 45° tilt (rearward) ..... the light projected would be a tad brighter. But not knowing the brightness or light divergence of these LED 'bulbs', it would be difficult to say how much of this speculation would manifest to a detrimental degree.
tomeric914
Not cheap, but well known in the HD trucking industry:

http://www.jwspeaker.com/other/led-headlamps

A little less expensive:

http://www.gelighting.com/LightingWeb/na/c...ights/overview/

First DOT approved LED headlight:

http://www.truck-lite.com/webapp/wcs/store...p;storeId=10001

...on eBay:

http://www.ebay.com/bhp/truck-lite-led-headlight
mikesmith
I mentioned these earlier. The GE units are just relabelled TruckLite units; AFAICT there are just the two manufacturers currently producing anything worth using.

A bit of googling around will get you some solid reviews from the H-D community, where these are also quite popular.
gothspeed
I have seen those truck lights, they have a divder which illustrates that only the upper half (or 180 degrees) is used for low beam. The lower half for high beam.

However in this case I would prefer the HID retrofit. I don't like how due to the divider, only half of the refector is illuminated. I am sure they function fairly well, but they sure do look kinda strange. wacko.gif

On another note, the outer lense appears to extend further than a 'normal' 'domed front' bulb. So they may interfere with the trim peice in front of the headlight, during pop-up/down travel.
wndsnd
If you are buying these for long life consider this.

The Cree LED emitters used here have a very good reputation and have proven to be long life units. Claims of 40,000 hours plus for the emmiters are conservative.

The failure point is in the drivers. Heat is the problem, and since this design uses small fans to dissipate the heat, you now have another failure point.

Fans and drivers won't typically go the 40,000 hours plus. The emmiters typically will go on forever if run cool.......

Why buy a solid state light source that has to be kept alive by an inductive mechanical device.

John
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.