Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Handbrake light switch
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ewdysar
Where is the handbrake switch supposed to be located in a '75 914. I've just replaced all of my gauges (went to a Getty 911 style dash) and everything works IPB Image - except the e-brake indicator IPB Image . The light's wired up, but once the wires go into the harness, I've got no idea where they're headed. I've looked all over the area of the handle and the cable hook-ups at the firewall. I've got no idea if the light worked when I was last driving the car regularly (1991).

I'd like to get my electrical straightened out before I install my new carpet kit, so I'm not peeling it up little problems (I fully expect to pull it up for big ones IPB Image )

Eric
jim912928
Eric,

There is a little switch that resides in the cross member that is in front of the drivers seat. The ebrake handle comes down onto it and turns the switch off...raise the handle and the circuit is opened. It is a little switch like the ones in the door jams.

If you lift the parking brake and look down on the back side of that cross member you'll see it.

Jim
ewdysar
I thought that might be where it should be, there's a little hole right there in my car. Guess I'll dig around in the cross member to see if the wires are still there. If I find 'em, then I'll be in the market for a new switch..... IPB Image
eric914
Two switches that influence this lamp. The first is the break warning switch on the master cylinder. This switch will cause the lamp to remain lit. There is a reset button on this switch. The second switch is on the e-break that needs to be adjusted properly for the light to come on. Check for the switch and see if it functions with an Ohmmeter when the handle is up.

Good luck.
ewdysar
Found the wire (matches the color of the one attached to the bulb in the gauge IPB Image ), and the remnants of the switch. Does anyone know if the switch is the same as the door switch or just similar?

Thanks
ClayPerrine
ITs the same as the door jam switch.... without the rubber boot.

The wire comes up next to the park brake cable. from the center tunnel at the back of the passesnger compartment.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.