Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: If the neighbors were sleeping...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
dan10101
One of Andrews plans this winter is to install the headers and dual exhaust on the 914-8. With rain today (again IPB Image ) delaying our work on the garage, we took the time to install the headers today and of course, we had to fire it up. IPB Image

http://teamgracer.com/cars/videos/openheaders.wmv

Tomorrow we'll have to put mufflers on it. IPB Image

If anyone has an idea for a muffler that doesn't sound like an echo chamber, we're open to suggestions. Right now it looks like a couple of Magnaflows or Flowmasters with possibly a resonator for each tip.
anthony
That shook some cob webs loose!
Allan
That is great!!! Gotta turn it up loud. IPB Image
Aaron Cox
IPB Image IPB Image
dan10101
There must have been more dust in them then we thought. I cut out the part where we all danced around the garage saying "Let's do it again!". I think even Mom liked it a bit...

I don't think I've ever pulled off a muffler without fireing up the engine. IPB Image
Aaron Cox
Facet fuel pump i hear??? IPB Image
dan10101
QUOTE (Aaron Cox @ Dec 28 2004, 07:24 PM)
Facet fuel pump i hear??? IPB Image

Yup, Hey, it works and he knows the pump is ON!
Howard
Winner! IPB Image
rick 918-S
Daddy likes.... IPB Image
Andyrew
BTW, if you think im not going to use that...

I'll be making a separate system that dumps from the headers to the side of the car.. 2 ft per side, straight 2 1/2 in dumps...

That will be for track and fun days only.. hehehehehe....
ChrisReale
I like how the mom sticks her head out the door and asks if its gunna be that loud all the time...classic IPB Image
DJsRepS
Great V8 job!! But I can't belive that Areon pegged your fuel pump by sound alone over that open exaust? I bet he heard it just before it cranked.
Joe Bob
Pricey....but "Wyld Thang" runs 4 Stainless steel Borlas....two on each side.

I have seen a gutted dual in dual out 911 banna muffler on a V8 that also had twin premufflers between the headers and the muffler.....sounded awesome.

Nice burble at idle, good rumble up to 3500 rpms and then it sounded like a Camaro on steroids after that.

Relatively stock outward apearance as well.
SGB
Wheeeeeee!!!!
JmuRiz
QUOTE (dan10101 @ Dec 28 2004, 07:22 PM)
I don't think I've ever pulled off a muffler without fireing up the engine. IPB Image

I hear ya, even my 2.0 4 banger sounded tough running through only SSI heat exchangers. IPB Image
Bruce Allert
QUOTE (JmuRiz @ Dec 29 2004, 10:45 AM)
QUOTE (dan10101 @ Dec 28 2004, 07:22 PM)
I don't think I've ever pulled off a muffler without fireing up the engine.  :lol:

I hear ya, even my 2.0 4 banger sounded tough running through only SSI heat exchangers. IPB Image

Ya! right on!!! I did my 2.0 with the 1.7 HE's & want to do it like that all the time. Love Loud!!! IPB Image

........b IPB Image
jandro62
Car enthusiasm is all about waking the neighbors up - Air compressor noise, the associated impact wrench noise (god thats a beautiful sound), and of course the V8 starting up, grinding, tire squealing. Few other pursuits stimulate the senses so profoundly
Brando
Oh man, I'm so tempted just to take my Cat & Muffler off now... teehee!
Gint
Do it again! Do it again! Louder!
Andyrew
I did!!

but that was driving onto the ramp at the exhaust shop...

my teener is spending the night with two trucks... IPB Image

in a nice garage on a lift...

tomorrow i'll get it back, exhaust on.

twin magnaflow's plus glasspacked tips. from the shorties..

Should be nice.
Joe Ricard
Ya that's just cool. Like couple of school kids or (red necks) giggling like crazy.

I did Rob's engine that way just for grins pretty loud. Guy across the way yelled out "what the fuck was that"? then he came over and helped me with some beer. You could hear doors slamming all over once I shut it down. Hmm must be pissed AGAIN!!!
Brett W
One hair dryer per side of the engine would really quite it down and pump it up also.
dan10101
We got it back..

and well...

IPB Image

It sounds great... My guess is that I gained about 50 more hp.. at least.

Let me put it this way, I have no tracksion in second gear.

I'll put it on the g tech tomorrow.

Very mellow sound, very nice. deep, powerful.

Got some video's and pics (lots of em) I'll have dad post em.

Got to get ready for work

Andrew

btw it was 350 cash.
Aaron Cox
rock on bro!

want video! want pics! want sounds!!!!!!
IPB Image
IPB Image IPB Image
dan10101
Ok, don't blink or you'll miss it.

We'll try to get some longer video once things settle down.

Here is the (very short) video.
http://teamgracer.com/cars/videos/914exhaust.wmv

It's actually quieter than my car at idle and low speed, but much louder (and Bader IPB Image ) when angry. The very short fly by is an indicatation.

Here are some picts.

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image
Aaron Cox
video link doesnt work....

i sure hope the kids at skool dont see your baby blue trailing arms IPB Image IPB Image
dan10101
Link fixed.

Actually, that's just 2 of the items we want to powder coat in the new garage. (once it has walls and a real roof IPB Image )
balthazar
LMFAO! IPB Image IPB Image IPB Image IPB Image rocking nana.gif IPB Image

I love the monkey dance!!!
DJsRepS
Nice piece of work there. With a V8 do you have a 4speed or take off in 2nd??I cant see that V8 running out long in 1st of a 5speed box that would be like a granny gear to that motor.
skline
Guys, that sounds pretty good, I actually liked it better with the open headers but we do have to stay legal. Make a longer video of it and maybe a longer one of it passing by from like the curb to the street. My exhaust was the same price and I only got one muffler. It must be a standard for custom exhaust systems.
dan10101
QUOTE (DJsRepS @ Jan 1 2005, 04:33 AM)
Nice piece of work there. With a V8 do you have a 4speed or take off in 2nd??I cant see that V8 running out long in 1st of a 5speed box that would be like a granny gear to that motor.

DJsReps,
The 1st gear isn't nessary for smooth starts. More importantly, they are very weak and will break with the torque of the v8. The trans is still the stock 901 5sp, but we just leave 1st for moving onto autoshop racks and trailers. IPB Image Some of the builders leave 1st out of the trans and make it a true 4sp.

Scott,
We'll have a busy day today, but I'm sure Andrew will be putting the DB meter to use sometime today. I borrowed it from Church but I have to bring it back tomorrow when I run the sound system. More videos to follow.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.