Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: help, trying to make things better I made it worse!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
bradtho
I've got a 1.7 d-jet. Generally runs really smooth. It's been missing sometimes lately around 2500rpm, so I figured I was due for a timing adjustment.

Apparently when I loosened the dizzy clamp it backed out enough that the drive wasn't spinning the dizzy. Couldn't figure out why I wasn't getting spark and starting working backwards and eventually figured this out.

I set the timing up and was getting a small backfire each time when the engine stopped. I figured it was just because I had the vacuum advance disconnected. Then I took it out for a spin and noticed the following:
- super low idle
- almost no throttle response without really rev'ing it
- dramatic loss of power (even for a 1.7!!)
- strong smell of gas when I got back to the garage; running super rich

Funny thing is it sounds very smooth at 3500.

So Question: Is it possible to get the dizzy back in wrong? It seemed like it only fit in one way. If it were off 90/180 degrees I wouldn't think it would run well enough to set the timing. Otherwise, any other thoughts on what I screwed up?
dlee6204
Dizzy only goes in one way and it shouldn't be an issue so long as the drive gear below it didn't jump a tooth. It almost sounds like you need to advance your timing some. Are you sure you have it correct? I believe it should be set at 3500 rpm with the vac canister disconnected.
bradtho
Yep, 3500 with both of the vacuum hoses disconnected from the dizzy can.

Is it possible to set it to the other mark? There's marks for TDC & 27 deg before TDC right? If I set it to TDC instead would it run?
JRust
It is possible to get your distributor out 180degrees. Totally possible I am misunderstanding here. I have had my distributor out 180 before. When it is in correctly the rotor should be pointing to the #1 cylinder right confused24.gif Someone correct me & I will gladly edit my post so I don't look like an idiot for to long sad.gif
messix
check all vacuum hoses are connected and not broken.
bradtho
So I checked TDC with the flywheel and found out that the I used the TDC mark, not the 27BDC mark. When I finally got it running the TDC mark was the closest so, like a DAPO, I used it. Surprised that I was able to run it at all!!

Anyway, thanks for helping the challenged!
TheCabinetmaker
Jamie, the diz will only go in one way. However, the drive gear that the diz fits into will go in in several positions.
Dave_Darling
Note that it is possible to get the distributor in 180 out. Not easy, but possible. It won't go all the way into the case as far as it is supposed to, but the rotor will still spin.

--DD
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.