Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Not Bob Ford's crack style
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
porbmw
This HAS to be a common problem....or am I the only one with more than one of these.

Actually, have a pair of NOS rear lenses I got a few years ago....were shipped to me, and likely damaged during shipment. Vendor had little to say about that.

Lens has "split" at the seam, at the point where the two colors of plastic are melded. Almost perfectly clean split/breadk...

How does one repair these lenses. I am assuming these were melted/melded at the Hella factory. Now I am assuming glue is the last resort.

Is it?
If so, what is the best glue....and process....and any trick on keeping the glue from smearing on the outside of the lens.

And what glue will apply transparent, and remain transparent with age.

Of course, I have some other, olders ones that also are split....

and have been glued, with glue visible on outside of lens....any trick to removing and applying something that hides the repair

Thanks
Mike Bellis
Around here I would go to TAP plastics and get some acrylic glue. It's used for clear acrylic panels. It should flow into the crack.
TheCabinetmaker
Any plexi supplier/fabricator will have a good glue. I've used epoxy for this exact purpose with good results.
Mark Henry
Another Canadian on crack.... sad.gif

It's Rob Ford...not Bob. rolleyes.gif

Get our national disgraces names correct will ya...eh?

poke.gif
toolguy
I wonder if clear PVC /Sprinkler pipe glue would work. . it actually melts the PVC together as it is a solvent. .

If I was going to use an actual glue, I'd use Loctite Gel super glue. . only issue is it is a gel and has a thick viscosity. . you'd have to clamp to reduce an open contact void. but it is absolutely the strongest glue I know of. .Hold anything together and the joint is stronger than the material.

The dealer demo for it is to put a drop on two wing nuts, let it sit for 5 seconds, and to try to manually break the joint. . it was impossible. . .
porbmw
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Dec 8 2013, 09:40 AM) *

Another Canadian on crack.... sad.gif

It's Rob Ford...not Bob. rolleyes.gif

Get our national disgraces names correct will ya...eh?

poke.gif

Not crack, Bud.... smoke.gif
porbmw
Thanks for the suggestions.
Am gong to consider the options....
Mechanic buddy Jake works at Mercedes, says they have a product that works, may try a sample of that on another pair of beater lenses, and proceed from there.
Will post results when I get to that stage.

Paul
02jake
QUOTE(porbmw @ Dec 8 2013, 11:13 PM) *

Thanks for the suggestions.
Am gong to consider the options....
Mechanic buddy Jake works at Mercedes, says they have a product that works, may try a sample of that on another pair of beater lenses, and proceed from there.
Will post results when I get to that stage.

Paul

Used a Wurth product called Klebfix with the activator. Leaves a seamless fix.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.