Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Correct 914-6 carpet.....for a 70
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
porbmw
Anyone knowledgeable out there re correct, or so damn close to correct no one can tell....carpet for a 70

Would be quite alright with just buying a few yards of it, and having it cut and sewn...but sure would like to find the material

Thanks

Paul
GeorgeRud
Haven't seen any that matches the carpet in my 70 914-6. The original stuff really doesn't have any mat to it, and is almost like a heavy felt.

I think George Hussey at Auto Atlanta may have some NOS pieces, but I haven't heard of anyone else having any. It would be nice to find the original carpet as there are plenty of folks that could cut and sew the pieces.
rick 918-S
Something else to research. I wonder if the carpet in my 6 is original. It looks stock. I'll talk to me upholstery guy and see what he thinks.
Peashooter
Try Auto's International. I bought a carpet set there for my car. Really nice set, good fit.
McMark
I've had great experiences with World Upholstery. They have the correct targa vinyl. I haven't ordered the carpet, but from the pictures (under Color Samples) it looks right to me.
IPB Image

Rick, your carpet is original if the backing is a semi-clear plastic looking material.
Mikey914
I have this carpet in stock.
Referred to as German charcoal. My grommets are not stock, but I'm doing up sample chains and would be happy to get you one out if you want. Just PM me.
-Mark
rick 918-S
QUOTE(McMark @ Dec 9 2013, 12:14 AM) *

I've had great experiences with World Upholstery. They have the correct targa vinyl. I haven't ordered the carpet, but from the pictures (under Color Samples) it looks right to me.
IPB Image

Rick, your carpet is original if the backing is a semi-clear plastic looking material.

Thanks Mark, Mine looks like the photo and is in nice condition.
porbmw
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Dec 9 2013, 12:42 AM) *

I have this carpet in stock.
Referred to as German charcoal. My grommets are not stock, but I'm doing up sample chains and would be happy to get you one out if you want. Just PM me.
-Mark

The carpet is basically a felt material...I am guessing it is the same stuff that they put on the front bulkhead, and the rear trunk mat....and the infamous footrest.
I think the felt was peculiar to the very early (read 1970 model)....AA has pieces of interior for sale, and lists it as from 1970 onward.

Might be best for me to send down a piece of my OEM (soiled) to see if what is "out there" is correct...

Will provide updates as this proceeds

Thanks

Paul
Mikey914
Drop me a PM with your address and I'll get you a few samples
1TRICK6
Paul,
I might go and check this place out, local to me.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Porsche-914-GERMAN...df1&vxp=mtr

Will let you know if it's a close match to 914-6 carpeting.

Jim
Cairo94507
Very interested to see what you come up with. My Six definitely needs carpet as it was all oil soaked….probably saved its life though.
siverson
As I sort through my car, I discovered the previous owner installed new carpet on top of the original 914-6 carpet. The large floor pieces are missing though.

The "loop" carpet above does not look correct to me. There is no tight pattern in the original 914-6 carpet.

Also notice the 914-6 felt carpet material has some sort of backing is and pretty rigid and formed to the car.

Original -6 carpet on left, aftermarket on the right.

-Steve

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
Cairo94507
Yup- that is stock Six carpeting. I wish we had a supplier for our cars. Mine needs carpet too.
slcarr
I have a 71 6, every nut and bolt rotisserie restoration that has been done for awhile and I originally bought a carpet kit that the color was OK but very flimsy material, I believe this was domestic Perlon. I put it in and it looks terrible.
I am also trying to find a as close as possible another carpet set in German Perlon with the correct heal pad, edging and grommets around the welded in hold downs for the floor. Please inform me if there is a supplier who can provide this. The grey plastic heal pad to me looks like grey VW basket weave that has 1/8" or 3/16th heat seams, should not be that difficult. Is there any body that can help? Please. slcarr.steve@aol.com
siverson
> welded in hold downs for the floor

I just noticed my [new to me] six doesn't have these hold downs. Every other 914 I've had had them. And the floors look original (tar on them/etc).

Did sixes not have those hold downs?

-Steve
QUOTE(siverson @ Dec 24 2013, 07:14 PM) *

> welded in hold downs for the floor

I just noticed my [new to me] six doesn't have these hold downs. Every other 914 I've had had them. And the floors look original (tar on them/etc).

Did sixes not have those hold downs?

-Steve

Please post a picture of these " hold downs"
Thanks
siverson
First photo I could find... (not my car). Hold downs circled... (those things you push the carpet rubber grommet over)

-Steve

Click to view attachment
QUOTE(siverson @ Dec 24 2013, 08:18 PM) *

First photo I could find... (not my car). Hold downs circled... (those things you push the carpet rubber grommet over)

-Steve

Click to view attachment

I have those little hold downs on my car
siverson
> I have those little hold downs on my car

Right. I've had them on every car I've owned except for my original six.

-Steve
euro911
Send it back to the factory for retro fitted hold down lugs ... you didn't get what you paid for mad.gif
puffinator
QUOTE(euro911 @ Dec 25 2013, 01:34 AM) *

Send it back to the factory for retro fitted hold down lugs ... you didn't get what you paid for mad.gif

My '70 -6 has them

rudedude
My 6 has them
euro911
One of these guys should get his pay docked slap.gif

Click to view attachment
Mikey914
Possible the floorboards have been replaced?
the later stamped ones do not have then in the pan.
The heal pad I can do. The problem is the factory carpets are molded. I'm working on doing the driver's side long molded as it's difficult to get it to glue it in correctly.
Mark
porbmw
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Dec 25 2013, 11:07 AM) *

Possible the floorboards have been replaced?
the later stamped ones do not have then in the pan.
The heal pad I can do. The problem is the factory carpets are molded. I'm working on doing the driver's side long molded as it's difficult to get it to glue it in correctly.
Mark

As far as I can recall, I have pretty well the entire set of 914-6 carpet from my original 6....and recollection tells me that the floor mats had a peculiar waffle pattern of wax/plastic like material on the back, to give the carpet rigidity...

I'll have to go check on it...and see about getting some pics in here ( I am a self professed luddite)...probably will beg off on my buddy Jake to send them.

This is one of those items that I'd bet the majority of members would like to have sorted out/replaced correctly....

When I get a chance to look at my daughter's 74, will see if the backing is any different from that of the 6
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.