Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: fuel pump woes
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
florida 914
I have a 1971 FI 1.7 liter, recently purchased. The car has not run in a long time. I moved the fuel pump to the front under the tank, but am having trouble getting it going. Here is what I know:

The wiring seems to be fine, I mean the part I did, because when I hotwire the pump through the fuel pump relay spot on the relay board (as suggested in the 914 tips book from Autoatlanta) the pump runs. The fuse and relays test fine. But I still get no juice at the pump when the key is on, even for a moment. I also tried to test pin #13 on the board and was unable to confirm that I get juice there, though it is such an awkward test that I am not sure I am doing it right. If that is right then the book suggests that may mean the circuit board is no good -- but then why does the pump run when hotwired through the relay board?

Sorry if this is confusing. Any help?

Mike Bellis
the FI brain controls when the pump turns on. The trigger points in the distributor trigger the injectors and tell the ECU to turn on the pump.

These early FI systems do not prime when the key is turned on.

Does the car crank? Does the pump run while cranking?
florida 914
QUOTE(Mike Bellis @ Dec 8 2013, 11:51 PM) *

the FI brain controls when the pump turns on. The trigger points in the distributor trigger the injectors and tell the ECU to turn on the pump.

These early FI systems do not prime when the key is turned on.

Does the car crank? Does the pump run while cranking?

Ah, that may be the problem. I don't even have spark plugs in yet. I was not trying to start the car, but rather just make sure it was working. I did bump the starter, which did not trigger the pump.
Mike Bellis
Your distributor has ignition points and trigger points. Make sure they are both installed and adjusted properly.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.