Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 1972 914 Hazard Lights HELP!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
1972 914 2.0
I recently bought a 1972 Porsche 914 (with a '74 2.0 motor) and have been having some electrical problems.
Ok here it goes:

When I turn the ignition on, as well as start the car, the hazard indictor lights on the dashboard start to flash and the relay clicks. The exterior lights do not flash! The hazard switch is fully disengaged!

Before I proceed, its worth mentioning that this is a '72 car. Meaning that the hazard indicating lights are in the FUEL gauge and the turn signal indicators are in the speedometer. When my problem occurs the speedometer lights DO NOT flash, only the hazard indicators in the fuel gauge.

All of the turn signals, hazards, and lights worked just fine otherwise.

So being a DIY type of guy I decided to order a new turn signal/hazard relay from AA. Having installed this new relay the problem got even worse. Now BOTH the the turn signal and hazard indicators in the gauges just stay (but don't flash) and none of the exterior lights work! And the thing is buzzing at me like crazy!

I have also cleaned the ground underneath the dashboard.

I am fresh out of ideas, so any comments, criticism, and help is much appreaciated!
Thanks 914World!
- Chris

Click to view attachment
dlee6204
The big red flashing light in the FUEL gage is actually for brake pressure. It relates to the pressure switch located on the side of the master cylinder. Could you be getting that mixed up?
IanJ
What happens when you disconnect the hazard light switch?
rmdinmd
in my 74 the big red light above the fuel gauge also flashes when my parking brake is on.
SirAndy
QUOTE(dlee6204 @ Dec 9 2013, 05:09 PM) *
The big red flashing light in the FUEL gage is actually for brake pressure. It relates to the pressure switch located on the side of the master cylinder.

agree.gif

The big red flashing light in that gauge is triggered by the brake master cylinder when it loses pressure.
This is common after bleeding brakes. There is a reset button on the drivers side of the MC that you need to push to reset the light.
Turn the wheels full lock to the right and crawl under there to reset.

The same light is also used as a parking brake indicator...
smile.gif

PS: welcome.png
1972 914 2.0
QUOTE(dlee6204 @ Dec 9 2013, 06:09 PM) *

The big red flashing light in the FUEL gage is actually for brake pressure. It relates to the pressure switch located on the side of the master cylinder. Could you be getting that mixed up?

No, on the 70-72 cars the hazard lights are indicated on the fuel gauge. The 73-76 cars do not have these lights in the fuel gauge.
Thanks
1972 914 2.0
QUOTE(rmdinmd @ Dec 9 2013, 06:12 PM) *

in my 74 the big red light above the fuel gauge also flashes when my parking brake is on.

That is the brake warning light. The 70-72 cars have hazard indicator lights in that place.
1972 914 2.0
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Dec 9 2013, 06:14 PM) *

QUOTE(dlee6204 @ Dec 9 2013, 05:09 PM) *
The big red flashing light in the FUEL gage is actually for brake pressure. It relates to the pressure switch located on the side of the master cylinder.

agree.gif

The big red flashing light in that gauge is triggered by the brake master cylinder when it loses pressure.
This is common after bleeding brakes. There is a reset button on the drivers side of the MC that you need to push to reset the light.
Turn the wheels full lock to the right and crawl under there to reset.

The same light is also used as a parking brake indicator...
smile.gif

PS: welcome.png

No...this is different. These are Hazard indicator lights. Only available on 70-72 models. I am aware of the brake warning light, that is different.
SirAndy
QUOTE(1972 914 2.0 @ Dec 9 2013, 05:20 PM) *
No...this is different. These are Hazard indicator lights. Only available on 70-72 models. I am aware of the brake warning light, that is different.

Then post a pic of those "dedicated Hazard indicator lights" on your early car.
shades.gif
1972 914 2.0
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Dec 9 2013, 06:23 PM) *

QUOTE(1972 914 2.0 @ Dec 9 2013, 05:20 PM) *

Then post a pic of those "dedicated Hazard indicator lights" on your early car.
shades.gif

Glady, Here ya go...

Click to view attachment
SirAndy
QUOTE(1972 914 2.0 @ Dec 9 2013, 05:32 PM) *
Glady, Here ya go...

Yupp, as i said above, the MC pressure warning uses the same bulbs to indicate a pressure loss.

That goes for early cars too ...
shades.gif
David_S

I looked at the three fuel guages that I have .... 1972, 1973, and 1976. they all have the brake indicator light, and NO dedicated hazard light indicator ......

thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Dec 9 2013, 05:35 PM) *
Yupp, as i said above, the MC pressure warning uses the same bulbs to indicate a pressure loss.

shades.gif

These three go to those lights:

32 Brake warning switch
34 Hand brake contact
47 Direction warning blinker indicator (second page of the diagram, not shown here but indicated by the tiny 13 next to the wire)

IPB Image
Kirmizi
I'd suggest reinstalling the original relay, then checking your master cylinder and parking brake.
1972 914 2.0
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Dec 9 2013, 06:35 PM) *

Glady, Here ya go...

shades.gif

Admittedly, you're right. What does this button look like?
1972 914 2.0
QUOTE(David_S @ Dec 9 2013, 06:35 PM) *

I looked at the three fuel guages that I have .... 1972, 1973, and 1976. they all have the brake indicator light, and NO dedicated hazard light indicator ......

thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif

How do you reset the Master cylinder?
wndsnd
QUOTE(1972 914 2.0 @ Dec 9 2013, 08:49 PM) *

Glady, Here ya go...

shades.gif

The "B" would "indicate" this . bye1.gif
mikesmith
That's the master warning light. It's normal for it to flash before the car is started.

It will normally light and flash due to at least:

- Alternator not charging (ignition on and engine not running).
- Handbrake on.
- Brake failure (brake warning switch).

SirAndy
QUOTE(1972 914 2.0 @ Dec 9 2013, 06:05 PM) *
How do you reset the Master cylinder?

Post #5 above ...
chowtime.gif
1972 914 2.0
QUOTE(wndsnd @ Dec 9 2013, 07:12 PM) *

QUOTE(1972 914 2.0 @ Dec 9 2013, 08:49 PM) *

Glady, Here ya go...

shades.gif

The "B" would "indicate" this . bye1.gif

I'm looking at the master cylinder as it sits in the car and I'm not seeing a "B" or anything that looks "button-like". I've also looked at an MC when its out of the car and seen nothing.
SirAndy
QUOTE(1972 914 2.0 @ Dec 9 2013, 06:54 PM) *
I'm looking at the master cylinder as it sits in the car and I'm not seeing a "B" or anything that looks "button-like". I've also looked at an MC when its out of the car and seen nothing.

Usually on the drivers side of the MC with a rubber cap over it.

I don't have a picture right now ...
idea.gif
1972 914 2.0
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Dec 9 2013, 07:58 PM) *

idea.gif

Is in in the middle, between the two fluid lines?

Click to view attachment
SirAndy
QUOTE(1972 914 2.0 @ Dec 9 2013, 07:14 PM) *

That looks about right, can you push it in?
idea.gif

PS: Also looks like it's leaking, which would explain why the light came on ...
1972 914 2.0
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Dec 9 2013, 08:22 PM) *

QUOTE(1972 914 2.0 @ Dec 9 2013, 07:14 PM) *

That looks about right, can you push it in?
idea.gif

PS: Also looks like it's leaking, which would explain why the light came on ...

Well I tired pushing on it with a big screwdriver (then tapping the screwdriver with a hammer) and the little black button doesn't seem to want to move. What do you suggest?

P.S. It's a pretty slow leak, no drips no puddle. I'm thinking about swapping it out with a 914/6 until that I have.
wndsnd
The b is on the guage indicating the lights are brake related not flasher or indicator related.

It is possible your master cylinder has been replaced and no longer has the switch. The button would be where the 2 wires plug into the mc. If has a little rubber boot. If you don't have that you probably just have a small phenolic barrier to keep the wires separate.

You would have to trouble shoot the circuit differently.

1972 914 2.0
QUOTE(wndsnd @ Dec 9 2013, 08:55 PM) *

The b is on the guage indicating the lights are brake related not flasher or indicator related.

It is possible your master cylinder has been replaced and no longer has the switch. The button would be where the 2 wires plug into the mc. If has a little rubber boot. If you don't have that you probably just have a small phenolic barrier to keep the wires separate.

You would have to trouble shoot the circuit differently.

Well I don't think its been replaced, and the hardware is identical to the OEM 914/6 unit that I have. Ive been pushing in the little black rectangle between the connectors (see attached photo) is that what you are referring to?

Click to view attachment
David_S
Do a search for "master cylinder reset" .... Be sure to put the " marks in. I just did this and it brings up several pics and some good info !!
1972 914 2.0
QUOTE(David_S @ Dec 9 2013, 10:26 PM) *

Do a search for "master cylinder reset" .... Be sure to put the " marks in. I just did this and it brings up several pics and some good info !!

Thanks! biggrin.gif
wndsnd
QUOTE(1972 914 2.0 @ Dec 9 2013, 10:14 PM) *

idea.gif

Yep, no button on that one....
1972 914 2.0
QUOTE(wndsnd @ Dec 10 2013, 07:19 AM) *

idea.gif

Well do you have any suggestions?
rhodyguy
if that square object behind the mc is your fuel pump replace the soft lines. like NOW!
wndsnd
QUOTE(1972 914 2.0 @ Dec 10 2013, 09:49 AM) *

idea.gif

Well, I would start with a can of brake cleaner and clean everything up, Kevin is right about your fuel lines, they need to be looked at, but maybe the light is doing its job, and it is time for a mc overhaul or change.
1972 914 2.0
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Dec 10 2013, 07:51 AM) *

if that square object behind the mc is your fuel pump replace the soft lines. like NOW!

Yeah I know, the PO relocated it it the front (for good reason). I'm no happy about the soft hoses but they're brand new and I'm too worried about them. As soon as I can get the car on a lift I'll swap them out for metal ones.
Thanks
wndsnd
After you get things cleaned up and check for leaks, you should probably start with replacing the switch. They are not expensive and yours looks very corroded. Maybe it has an internal short.
1972 914 2.0
QUOTE(wndsnd @ Dec 10 2013, 08:28 AM) *

QUOTE(1972 914 2.0 @ Dec 10 2013, 09:49 AM) *

idea.gif

Well, I would start with a can of brake cleaner and clean everything up, Kevin is right about your fuel lines, they need to be looked at, but maybe the light is doing its job, and it is time for a mc overhaul or change.

Ok that sounds alright. I need to flush the system anyhow. I have a 914/6 (19MM) MC that I'm considering swapping in as well.
Thanks!
1972 914 2.0
QUOTE(wndsnd @ Dec 10 2013, 10:11 AM) *

After you get things cleaned up and check for leaks, you should probably start with replacing the switch. They are not expensive and yours looks very corroded. Maybe it has an internal short.

Do you know where I can get a new switch?
Spoke
Not sure where you can get the switch.

Why is the area around the MC so wet? That area should be dry.

Also, have you tried removing the wires from the switch to see if the indicator goes out?
wndsnd
QUOTE(1972 914 2.0 @ Dec 10 2013, 12:14 PM) *

PM me your address and I will send you a used one that should work ok, or you can try Autoatlanta, or Pelican Parts.
1972 914 2.0
QUOTE(wndsnd @ Dec 10 2013, 01:08 PM) *

PM me your address and I will send you a used one that should work ok, or you can try Autoatlanta, or Pelican Parts.

Thats ok, I think I'm just going to replace it with a brand new master cylinder. The one on there now is original and looks to be leaking and corroded. In fact, while I'm this topic, I could use your opinion. which one of these master cylinders would work best with my 914?

MC #1

MC#2
1972 914 2.0
QUOTE(Spoke @ Dec 10 2013, 01:07 PM) *

Not sure where you can get the switch.

Why is the area around the MC so wet? That area should be dry.

Also, have you tried removing the wires from the switch to see if the indicator goes out?

It could be leaking. This is the first time I've looked at it in detail. I think I'm just going to get a brand new one. And yes, that is what I am trying right now.
1972 914 2.0
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Dec 9 2013, 06:36 PM) *

QUOTE(SirAndy @ Dec 9 2013, 05:35 PM) *

shades.gif

These three go to those lights:

32 Brake warning switch
34 Hand brake contact
47 Direction warning blinker indicator (second page of the diagram, not shown here but indicated by the tiny 13 next to the wire)

IPB Image

Do you know where the handbrake contact is located on the car?
Thanks
toolguy
little button just under the front of the handle mounted in the body cross bar in front of the seat. . same switch as the door contact switch.
1972 914 2.0
QUOTE(toolguy @ Dec 10 2013, 01:50 PM) *

little button just under the front of the handle mounted in the body cross bar in front of the seat. . same switch as the door contact switch.

Uhh...I don't think it's there. Where is it now?
sfrenck
This pic (bad focus) shows the push button switch. Pic is taken while kneeling outside the driver door - seat is removed and the seat rail is at the top of the pic. Part of the e-brake is seen at the bottom of the pic, seat crossbar is to the left.

Click to view attachment
1972 914 2.0
QUOTE(sfrenck @ Dec 10 2013, 02:25 PM) *

This pic (bad focus) shows the push button switch. Pic is taken while kneeling outside the driver door - seat is removed and the seat rail is at the top of the pic. Part of the e-brake is seen at the bottom of the pic, seat crossbar is to the left.

Click to view attachment

Its on the floorpan?
Dave_Darling
It's just above the floor pan, on the crossmember that goes across the body of the car under the front edge of the seat.

I'd double-check that before removing or disassembling your brake system...

--DD
SLITS
QUOTE(1972 914 2.0 @ Dec 10 2013, 12:45 PM) *

QUOTE(wndsnd @ Dec 10 2013, 01:08 PM) *

Thats ok, I think I'm just going to replace it with a brand new master cylinder. The one on there now is original and looks to be leaking and corroded. In fact, while I'm this topic, I could use your opinion. which one of these master cylinders would work best with my 914?

MC #1

MC#2

#2 , but the URO Brand has come under some discussion ...
wndsnd
17 MM are correct from the factory buy you might have trouble finding.

19MM some say will give you a harder pedal, and a different feel, but others can advise on that. I found a 17 for my car and that is what I used.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.