Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Should I make Betsy a -6?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
carr914
Most of you know I bought Betsy (I don't like Carr Names, so this might be the last time I call this Carr Betsy) from HotShoe. It only has 4X,xxx Miles from New. I'm going to Paint her (the same color - Alaska Blue Metallic, she needs it), pull the Rear Fenders to put my Revolutions on her.

But I have a 2.5 Twin-Plug 911 Motor, & plenty of Parts to do a Conversion.

So should I do the Conversion, sell the 2.0 Four, SS Heat Exchangers, Fuchs, Triad?

Or

Keep the Drivetrain the way it is, because there is nothing wrong with it?

T.C.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
MoveQik
No brainer IMHO. Make it a six. But I might be biased. biggrin.gif
billh1963
Fix that poorly repaired right front fender, spring for a quality repaint (bare metal) and sell her to a European for big bucks. Being a '73 Appearance Group 2.0 it will be worth some money...especially if you can document the mileage.

Use that windfall to buy a "lesser" but solid car (say a '74 1.8 or a '71-'72 1.7) and build out that car.
chads74
Sounds like a fun project, I would even volunteer lots of free labor so I can watch the conversion process.
DRPHIL914
QUOTE(billh1963 @ Dec 10 2013, 08:51 AM) *

Fix that poorly repaired right front fender, spring for a quality repaint (bare metal) and sell her to a European for big bucks. Being a '73 Appearance Group 2.0 it will be worth some money...especially if you can document the mileage.

Use that windfall to buy a "lesser" but solid car (say a '74 1.8 or a '71-'72 1.7) and build out that car.

agree.gif , except for the "sell her to a euro for big bucks" because i HATE selling these over seas, but otherwise i agree with Bill. I have a 75 with appearance group, all numbers matching etc. and even though i have 911 seats in mine, the original seats can go back in her, i think in the long run it makes these worth more to keep the engine/tranny/body together if they match. - and get that "lesser car" maybe a roller that was saved and already with out parts, and build it out.
- if you want a bit more HP then make her a 2056 or a 2200+, keep the FI , she will be a bit of a "sleeper"

pjw
Woody
Ooohhhh twin plug two five. drooley.gif
Cairo94507
That is a tough one but I really like the 2.0 appearance cars as they were. I would paint that baby real nice and clean up anything that needs it and sell it to someone here in the U.S. and then put all of your parts into a roller. I am not sure I would even pull the fenders unless you are just rolling the rear lips.

As a side note, I looked at that for sale add probably 20 times and was very tempted to call about that car when it was around $10K. I think it is a real nice car.
mepstein
QUOTE(billh1963 @ Dec 10 2013, 08:51 AM) *

agree.gif then buy a conversion car and sell the motor that came in the car on pelican and install yours. You will be $$$ ahead.
rick 918-S
I'd say do the conversion if it wasn't a clean complete 73 2.0 appearance group car. Freshen the paint and flip it. Hard to find a basically unmolested car these days.
EdwardBlume
Do whatever YOU want... while you still can aktion035.gif

I took my 100% original stock 2.0 and did what I wanted to do with it.
My observation, once you get to drive a teener with a 6 that has hp > 150 ..you will most likely never go back. To my knowledge, the 2.0 / 4 were just as fast as a stock -6 motor. ..just my .02 cents. But what do I know -smile.gif.
jim_hoyland
This is great running -4; saw the car in Durango this summer. Sounds and runs great. Keep it as an original 2L
'73-914kid
Nowadays, finding a clean unmolested '73 Appearance car is quite difficult.. My car had been previously fuddled with, so I felt no pain in putting a 6 in it. Betsy is such a clean car already, I would leave her a -4, and if anything give the car a nice respray..

I can't believe I just said to NOT convert a 914 to a -6... wacko.gif
EdwardBlume
QUOTE(396 @ Dec 10 2013, 06:36 AM) *

My observation, once you get to drive a teener with a 6 that has hp > 150 ..you will most likely never go back. To my knowledge, the 2.0 / 4 were just as fast as a stock -6 motor. ..just my .02 cents. But what do I know -smile.gif.

Now you're just bragging! poke.gif
QUOTE(RobW @ Dec 10 2013, 06:50 AM) *

QUOTE(396 @ Dec 10 2013, 06:36 AM) *

Now you're just bragging! poke.gif

Some times when I drive my 1.8, I feel that I can run faster than it bye1.gif
JmuRiz
I'm all set up for my conversion, just give me the 2.5 and keep yours a 2.0 biggrin.gif
balljoint
A & C

thumb3d.gif
scotty b
I vote for Lilac mellow.gif
hot_shoe914
QUOTE(scotty b @ Dec 10 2013, 10:10 AM) *

finger.gif
hot_shoe914
She is solid, make her a six!
ThePaintedMan
Think about it this way - why did you originally buy the car? If it was for a decent mileage daily driver, you'll be back to driving the truck for awhile until you get the conversion done. Plus it'll slow down your progress on the yellow beast. Either way, Chad and I are here to help smile.gif
porbmw
Put in the 6, keep the 2.0...

and when you have had your way with her.... put the 2.0 back in...

You and Woody have SO much in common..... You just KNOW you aren't keeping her in perpetuity.... beerchug.gif
GeorgeRud
I'd keep the car a stock 2.0 as that would be the most cost effective way to go. Find yourself a conversion car, then put in your engine and sell the one in the car. The costs to do a conversion correctly these days is getting quite high, and the conversions are not selling for what they cost to build, so someone else's loss can be your gain.

I'm afraid to see what I've spent on my conversion. 200 HP at the rear wheels don't come cheap, but the smile on your face is priceless!

Most of all, do what you enjoy!
ellisor3
This is a great ploy TC. Threaten to turn Betsy into a six and scare the hell out of Hotshoe into buying it back from you for double the price.

Well Played shades.gif
naro914
I'm with Scotty, paint it Lilac.. smile.gif
stirthepot.gif

Seriously, and I can't believe I'M saying this either, but clean it up to original, sell it (back to shoe??), then buy a 'project car/chassis' that you can use as a basis to install the 2.5...

Some days I kick myself for building Papa Smurf into what he is now. The car was a COMPLETELY rust free '74 appearance group with LOTS of options car, low miles and all completely original. Would have been much smarter to have kept it stock and used a different 'doner' car.

then again...I guess it depends on how much hotshoe took you for...er...sold it to you for... shades.gif
boxsterfan
Turn it into a six....one less appearance group 2.0L to compete with mine later when prices go up.
hot_shoe914
I do have a car that would be perfect for your motor. Strengthened in all the right places, steel flares, 5 lug suspension, NO rust, fresh primer and about to have fresh paint. We might need to talk. She won't come cheap though, but if you hurry, you might get to pick your own color!
bulitt
Keep the 2.0, great drive around daily user and gas sipper. You have a racer, truck, trailer- best of all worlds.
JRust
I agree with the guys who said keep it stock. Doing a conversion would be great but I hate to see good stock 2.0 cars messed with. A 1.7 or 1.8 I'd say convert it. That car is a nice solid 2.0 & should stay that way. You can get good money for with new paint. Just buy another teener to do it with. Hell buy my corvair car. Allready did the 5-lug conversion for you & it is solid rust wise. Hell hole is good. Rear trunk has some but nothing to hard to fix. Couple patches would do it. Not to turn this into a FS add sad.gif Sorry bout that.

Keep it stock & put the sweet 2.5 in another one
carr914
I'm Torn - I have no desire to Flip her..

The Paint is Shot, worse than I thought (no fault of Shoe's), so now I that have sold the White Race Car, I have the Money to Paint. I bought the Wheels before I bought the Car cuz I love them & I think they are the BEST 4 Lug Period!

I know I will get Roasted for altering a Low Mileage Appearance Group, but these cars are still Cheap in Carr Terms, but I bought it because it was Solid.

The 2.5 Probably needs to be refreshed & I also have offer to Sell It.

confused24.gif

KENNY
Keep the car stock. It a very nice car.
Mike Bellis
I voted for the -6.

Mainly because I can't leave well enough alone...

Do what you want.

BTW, you're crazy... and I like it!
gothspeed
QUOTE(scotty b @ Dec 10 2013, 08:10 AM) *

biggrin.gif
carr914
QUOTE(KENNY @ Dec 10 2013, 08:55 PM) *

Keep the car stock. It a very nice car.

Voted Worst car at Tropical Ramble II - what could I do wrong now?
ConeDodger
Start with the best car you can and you'll have less of a trip to the car you want. Convert it... evilgrin.gif
r_towle
not enough projects?
carr914
QUOTE(ellisor3 @ Dec 10 2013, 05:32 PM) *

This is a great ploy TC. Threaten to turn Betsy into a six and scare the hell out of Hotshoe into buying it back from you for double the price.

Well Played shades.gif

evilgrin.gif

QUOTE(hot_shoe914 @ Dec 10 2013, 07:06 PM) *

I do have a car that would be perfect for your motor. Strengthened in all the right places, steel flares, 5 lug suspension, NO rust, fresh primer and about to have fresh paint. We might need to talk. She won't come cheap though, but if you hurry, you might get to pick your own color!

confused24.gif

But if it goes Lilac, you'd have to GIVE it to me! cheer.gif
hot_shoe914
QUOTE(carr914 @ Dec 11 2013, 07:45 AM) *

QUOTE(ellisor3 @ Dec 10 2013, 05:32 PM) *

Well Played shades.gif

evilgrin.gif

QUOTE(hot_shoe914 @ Dec 10 2013, 07:06 PM) *

confused24.gif

But if it goes Lilac, you'd have to GIVE it to me! cheer.gif

I already told him to paint it blue.
zymurgist
QUOTE(scotty boy @ Dec 11 2013, 10:22 AM) *

I'm no C.W. but I say keep it stock. Its only original once driving.gif

agree.gif We don't see cars like Betsy much in the east.
2mAn
Its really up to you, but Ive always felt unmolested cars should be kept that way, if they've already been modded then go nuts. I voted for the -6 conversion before I saw that it was an original car. Either way, its all up to you
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.