Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT: Barber Racing Motorcycle Museum
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Air_Cooled_Nut
The link:
http://www.icbm.org/erkson/temp/digital-pi..._Racing_Museum/

The story (info coming from my friend so I may get something wrong ):
My good friend Brian Fye spent Christmas at his wife's father's house in Alabama. To whittle away the time he visited the Barber Museum. Five stories tall next to the Porsche Driving Experience school.

Every picture you see is a real, functional motorcycle. Some of the displays look like a Hot Wheels diorama but it's not, they are the REAL DEAL...even the cars (the Ferrari Dino and Porsche pics were for me IPB Image ). BTW, the aluminum shell is an unfinished Ferrari body and the engine you'll see to the far right is a Ford. Brian thought it was a GT40 at first glance but he got special permission to go below (where they prep/work on the vehicles/bikes) and check it out.

They're in the process of putting all the bikes on wooden crates and away from the white stands. The pictures of the bikes against the wooden background are on a real, wooden (unfinished surface!) 45ยบ race track

Again, I didn't go there so I don't know much except what he told me. I'll try to answer any questions that I can but no guarantees. I'm hosting the images on my server for him since his home page is a Geocities one IPB Image 56K modem volks, I reduced the file size down but they're still kinda big, sorry.

Enjoy!
JmuRiz
awesome pics, even have a 914 there!
URY914
The Owner, Barber has something like 1500 bikes and rotates the bikes on display to keep them fresh. He is also a big Lotus collector.

He built the track and museum than donated them to the city of B'ham with a hundred year lease for $1 a year. (that may be a little simplied but you get the idea).

I went through it last Spring.

P
914werke
There was talk early this yr of Barber hosting the USMotoGP round but it fell through somehow and Laguna Seca (Mazda Raceway) got the Gig!
Fine by me but I still want to go back there and chk out what has got to be one of the finest Road coarses in the US today. IPB Image
Brett W
Went to the museum, during the last Grand Am race at Barber. Great place to visit. I got as many pictures but they are still sitting on my kitchen table waiting to be developed. Better plan on taking all day to see everything there. Yes I beleive Barber is one of the nicest if not the nicest track in the country right now. I can't wait to get to compete there myself.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.