Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How do I search for 2.7?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
bigkensteele
There is a 2.7 for sale on Pelican with complete CIS. I have heard the good, bad and ugly about 2.7s for years. I know that there are a few members running them, and I wanted to find out how well they fit in a 914 and what kind of luck people were having with them.

However, a search on either 2.7 or "2.7" will not return any results.

So, search tips or 2.7 opinions are both welcome. beerchug.gif
ruby914
QUOTE(bigkensteele @ Dec 10 2013, 06:45 PM) *

There is a 2.7 for sale on Pelican with complete CIS. I have heard the good, bad and ugly about 2.7s for years. I know that there are a few members running them, and I wanted to find out how well they fit in a 914 and what kind of luck people were having with them.

However, a search on either 2.7 or "2.7" will not return any results.

So, search tips or 2.7 opinions are both welcome. beerchug.gif

Try "2.7 motor"
Try this search engine....

Google 914 Search

Good Luck!
GeorgeRud
Check Wayne Dempsey's book for all the info you want about 2.7. If properly set up, they can run just fine, and there are many fans. My 2.7 was recently rebuilt and does a great job of propelling my conversion.

The aluminum cased 3.0 liter engines have a stronger bottom end, but also have their issues after all these years. If rebuilt properly, any of these are a lot of fun in a 914 chassis.
914Sixer
By now most of the dreaded 2.7 head stud issues are been taken care of making it a good engine now. The poor cooling 5 blade fans and the nasty cat converters are long gone causing heat problems. No reason it could not be a good choice.
bigkensteele
The guy is asking $2750 for it, and he sent me a video of it running (which I know means little to nothing). Assuming that anything you buy is a core until proven otherwise, I can't decide if this is high or not. A 3.2 is my dream, but those seem to have doubled in value over the last few years.
bigkensteele
QUOTE(7275914911 @ Dec 10 2013, 06:54 PM) *

Try this search engine....

Google 914 Search

Good Luck!

This works! Thanks!
rick 918-S
I saw that one today. I would purchase a 2.7. Even if the studs are pulled. In fact I have a 2.7S for my 6. Just make the right deal and buy Wayne's book.
Kraftwerk
There is a lot of info on the Pelican site. Seems I recall reading the Euro 2.7's were a different ( and better ) beast than the US versions, if so, not a surprise.
JmuRiz
As far as fit, they fit as well as any other /6 engine, you just need an early 911 flywheel to bolt on. The CIS system will need one mod (I think only one) to fit, that's to move the engine latch to the passenger side and spin the fuel distributor 90-deg to avoid hitting the firewall. I'm planning on just doing carbs that I already have.

The above stud pull issues are about the only main engine issues.
The only difference between the euro and USA versions were the US had those damn emissions thermal reactors. They heated up the engine really fast and the heat didn't play nice with the mag case. The early 2.7 and 2.4 didn't have as many issues, since they didn't have thermal reactors.
To be honest supposedly the 3.0 have issues with studs snapping instead of pulling out. All engines have issues when they get as old as these.

Core price should be closer to $2k, that's what I paid for mine. Too good of a deal to pass up, that leaves meat on the bone if I want to rebuild in the future to something hotter biggrin.gif
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE(914Sixer @ Dec 10 2013, 07:26 PM) *

By now most of the dreaded 2.7 head stud issues are been taken care of making it a good engine now. The poor cooling 5 blade fans and the nasty cat converters are long gone causing heat problems. No reason it could not be a good choice.

2.7s didn't have catalytic converters.

The Cap'n
Cairo94507
I think you are wise to consider them all cores unless that have paperwork indicating it has been freshened up or rebuilt along the way. As far as a complete 3.2 goes I think that a budget of $4,500 could get you a complete engine if you are patient and look.

I found my '89 3.2 through the Pelican site and it came complete, running in the car at the time I bought it, with a lot of extra parts. It supposedly has less than 50K on it as it was pulled out of the '89 Carrera several years ago and then sat until it was installed in the car that I bought it out of. The seller had just purchased a 3.6 for his car to upgrade. I paid about $5,500 total and that was a year ago.

I plan to have that motor disassembled, checked completely and resealed to make sure once it is in the car it stays in the car and I have no surprises or leaks.

Good luck.
SLITS
If you use the RJ engine mount and drop it 1/2" from the stated installation height the CIS will clear. I never checked whether I could leave the engine lid latch mechanism in place as I just removed it and use hood pins. I also cut the rear trunk torsion bars out and use a gas shock setup for the rear trunk.

The 2.7 will spool up faster than a 3.0 in my experience.

There is an easy way to check for pulled head studs ... pull the rocker covers and look for loose barrel nuts in the recesses. If none, back the nuts off and re-torque to 23 ft/lbs ... if the torque wrench clicks you're good to go ... if it doesn't then a stud is pulling.

For $2700, I would expect the owner to provide a compression test at a minimum and better yet a leak down test. I would also want to know the running oil pressure.

The 3.0 used Divlar studs on the bottom. Great idea except they are brittle. If nicked, a corrosion cell is formed and the stud will snap. They broke on new engines assembled at the factory. Most use the earlier steel studs for replacement. And as I remember, the 3.0/3.2 had valve guide problems as well.

Rebuilding a /6 is not cheap .... period!!
bigkensteele
QUOTE(SLITS @ Dec 11 2013, 06:48 AM) *

For $2700, I would expect the owner to provide a compression test at a minimum and better yet a leak down test. I would also want to know the running oil pressure.

The engine is already out and sitting on a pallet, so I doubt that I will get any of the above.

Thanks for the advice everyone. Sounds like this one is a bit expensive if I can't talk him down much, especially since it will cost another 300 or so to get it here.

However, one of my local buddies saw this thread and PMed me about a 2.7 he has here in town. We shall see. beerchug.gif
Dave_Darling
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Dec 11 2013, 06:31 AM) *

2.7s didn't have catalytic converters.

No, most of the US ones had thermal reactors--which are worse!

BTW, the "Euro 2.7" is more often known as the "Carrera RS" motor. And you won't find one for ~$2500, pulled studs or no.

--DD
SLITS
QUOTE(bigkensteele @ Dec 11 2013, 09:05 AM) *

QUOTE(SLITS @ Dec 11 2013, 06:48 AM) *

The engine is already out and sitting on a pallet, so I doubt that I will get any of the above.

Both can be done while sitting on a pallet. Compression test would require bolting a tranny case to the engine to hold the starter.
Jetsetsurfshop
So whats a good price for an engine needing to be rebuilt?
Here's one sitting in the back of my parents repair shop.
JmuRiz
QUOTE(Jetsetsurfshop @ Dec 11 2013, 01:21 PM) *

If everything is there (ignition, fuel delivery etc), I'd say 1500-2000.
Jetsetsurfshop
QUOTE(JmuRiz @ Dec 11 2013, 01:35 PM) *

Believe so.
Is the S something special? Family 1 mean anything?
Not trying to highjack, just trying to gather up all the info possible be for i make the -6 plunge.
biggrin.gif
Mark Henry
If you consider an engine a core it doesn't matter if it's a 2.0 or a 3.6 they all cost relatively the same to rebuild.
I'd ask him for a leak down test, if it passes that's not too bad of a price, especially if it's complete other than the pressure plate.
Any engine is going to be a crapshoot unless it has a documented history and leakdown tests.
Even then it's still a crapshoot...just better odds.
Mark Henry
QUOTE(Jetsetsurfshop @ Dec 11 2013, 04:42 PM) *

QUOTE(JmuRiz @ Dec 11 2013, 01:35 PM) *

Believe so.
Is the S something special? Family 1 mean anything?
Not trying to highjack, just trying to gather up all the info possible be for i make the -6 plunge.
biggrin.gif

"S" can be special but not really on a 1976
Now if it was a 2.2S or a 1967-69S now we're talking biggrin.gif
sixnotfour
74-75 2.7's there were two a 911 and a 911S, both CIS. Ports, Piston,s and Cams are the main difference between them.
bigkensteele
QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Dec 11 2013, 03:20 PM) *

74-75 2.7's there were two a 911 and a 911S, both CIS. Ports, Piston,s and Cams are the main difference between them.

From what I have read, in '75 the 911S is the base model, so nothing special.

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche-911...e-complete.html

There is a link to more pictures and the seller sent me a link to a video of it running. It last lived in a 911 SC that had a bad motor, and this was the replacement. I don't know what thermo reactors look like, but if you go to the photobucket link in the post, you can see that it has either a cat or reactor under one bank of cylinders.

I am most likely going to pass on this, so if anyone else is interested, please do not hesitate to go after it.

Thanks again to all who have given advice on this. Ironically, I don't recall that anyone ever answered the actual question of "how do you search on 2.7", other than the very useful google search engine, which I have bookmarked.
Eric_Shea
+2.7*
JStroud
QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Dec 11 2013, 03:20 PM) *

There is a difference in HP, I read the 911 had 150hp, while the 911s had 173 hp.
The carrera for those years had the same HP as the 911s, all running CIS.

Jeff
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.