Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: rough idle
914World.com > The 914 Forums > The Paddock
Seabird
Spent some time rebuilding the carbs on the new car and check the timing. Fuel was drain and fresh gas added. A little MMO was used to well whatever MMO is used for; you know its a mystery wink.gif

There was some funky business with the timing and the firing order but that has been resolved now. The spark plugs looked good though I changed them anyway.

Carbs sync up well.

I did not like the low idle so after turning in the speed screw more than appropriate I ordered new idle jets. Tired both 52s and 55s and basically she just lumps along. The idle did go up a little but not much. Here is a quick video of what she sounds like.

I would like the forums input.

video

Regards,
Seabird
At lunch I popped over and tested to see if each cylinder was actually firing at idle based on a friends recommendation. Number 3 was not. I pulled the spark plug wire from the distributor and no change to the idling state. Though there is spark. I must be having issues with the idle circuit on that carb. Will pull it and re-clean it when I can get over there for a few hours.

Regards,

ChrisFoley
One of the diagnostic tricks I use when one cylinder isn't pulling its weight is this:
With the engine running start unscrewing the idle jet holder. If the idle comes up as you loosen the jet, there's probably debris in the jet.
If the idle doesn't change - it probably needs a mixture adjustment, or possibly there's debris in the passage from the jet to the carb throat.
r_towle
Valves adjusted properly?
Leaks in the intake all fixed?
Seabird
It just came down to a poor job cleaning the carbs unsure.gif . Re-cleaned them tonight and presto aktion035.gif

Video

Once I get the A/F gauge installed I will tweak the idle jets and speed a little more. But for the moment this is good.

Regards,
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.