Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 2.7 crank and rods question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Peashooter
The crankshaft and rods for a 2.7 engine I have are apart and since I don't have any notes with it, I don't know which rod went on which journal. Assuming new bearings, does it matter?
SLITS
As I remember, they are not offset in any manner to be number 1 through 6 positions. It would be highly important that the rod cap is mated to the rod it came off of ... there should be numbers or markings on the side of the end of the beam and cap that match.
gothspeed
The way I recall if they are not yet precision balanced. You can weigh each of them, then put them into pairs, lightest to heaviest pairs. Installing the heaviest pair opposite each other starting at the flywheel. then the next lightest pair opposite each other, then the lightest pair.
You can even put the heavy one of the next pair to offset the weight of the lightest one of the previous pair. this works fairly well and can get you within a 'balanced spec' if planned well. Especially if you coordinate with the heavy parts of an unbalanced crank and flywheel ..... smile.gif

Of course this does not work for parts that have never been used (new) and are way off, but can work for parts already in the 'ball park'.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.